🐉 極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband, Volume 1 (Beginner Book Club)

Time for the next two chapters, happy reading everyone!

10 Likes

Merry Christmas! :christmas_tree::santa: This week we’re only reading one chapter, hopefully that gives some of you a chance to catch up or not fall behind too much this week :blush:

10 Likes

皆さん明けましておめでとうございます! :partying_face: Time for our last two regular chapters before jumping into the bonus material next week :smiley:

9 Likes

Hey Hey, I got 8 of these manga for christmas! I love the show, and while I am late to the party, hopefully I will catch up eventually! My goal is to learn grammar by actually using the kanji I know. I’ve had a 6 month break from Wanikani so its also a motivator to go back in the deep end over holidays!

10 Likes

Yay, and welcome!
Although I feel I must warn you that this manga is full of non-standard grammar.

5 Likes

:grimacing:
I’m sure its better to love the story and be motivated by it.
がんばって!

4 Likes

The nonstandard grammar is doable. Just takes some extra effort - I honestly found once you get your head around some of the “quirks” of Kansai-ben it’s easy enough to relate back to standard Japanese.

If you don’t misread something and go on a wild goose chase, that is

5 Likes

For sure, interest trumps all!

And yes, these book clubs are super helpful in untangling grammar.

I’m really loving極主夫道, and am hoping some people will want to continue with it…

5 Likes

I feel dumb, but where are the instructions for blurring text (spoiler tags) and cut tags? I poked around and couldn’t find it. I must be missing something obvious. I’m new on the forums.

So far I have been sneakily commenting in the clear weeks after the main discussion is over but I will catch up eventually…

3 Likes

When you write a message, the edit box has a menu on top and there is a cogwheel at the far left. When you open this cogwheel it looks like this:

The topmost entry gives you the foldable triangle, and the second one adds a spoiler tag to anything you selected before clicking on it.

Hope that helps, and please keep asking if you still have questions :blush:

7 Likes

Here’s a useful thread:

7 Likes

Thanks so much, both of you! That seems very clear.

4 Likes

And with this week’s bonus chapters, that’s a wrap on volume 1! :smiley: I will be posting some final polls, including an interest check for an offshoot book club, here in the main thread in a few days, so keep an eye out for that :grin:

11 Likes

Poll time!

To wrap things up, let’s have some polls to see how everyone felt about the book :grin: Even if you haven’t finished reading yet, please vote in the offshoot interest poll if you want to keep reading this series as a book club!

Have you finished the book?

• Yes, I’m done!
  • Still reading but I intend to finish it
  • I’ve dropped this book
  • Never even started

0 voters

How much did you enjoy this manga?

• 1 - hated it
  • 5 - loved it

0 voters

How would you rate the difficulty of this manga?

• No effort
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head has exploded

0 voters

Which chapters did you enjoy the most? Choose up to two options:

• 1 (Bento)
  • 2 (Salesman)
  • 3 (Masa)
  • 4 (Bargain Sale)
  • 5 (Birthday Present)
  • 6 (Roomba)
  • 7 (Babysitting)
  • 8 (DIY)
  • 9 (Mall)
  • Bonus 1 (Cat)
  • Bonus 2 (Masa)
  • Bonus 3 (Gacha)

0 voters

Would you like to continue reading this series as a book club?

• Yes! Let’s keep reading together with a schedule.
  • Yes! Let’s have unscheduled discussion threads.
  • No thanks, I’m good.

0 voters

8 Likes

Definitely a really fun read! I’ll probably check out the anime now, too. The Yakuza dialects were really tough to parse, so I’m impressed with the patience of everyone who asked and answered so many questions, and especially impressed with the folks who got through this as their first manga. Not sure I have time to continue in an offshoot now but I’ll probably revisit this sometime down the line.

10 Likes

This manga has truly been a joy to read (cabbage-researching incident aside), and I’ve loved it. The Kansai dialect, and the Yakuza slang were both fascinating and challenging. Sadly, though, I think I have to put this one aside for now. I do hope y’all continue in an offshoot club, though; should I find more time in the future, I’d love to pop in and rejoin!

Thanks again to @NyappyTiramisu for suggesting this manga and hosting the club! And thanks to everyone who asked and answered questions. This certainly would have been much more difficult without all of you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Thanks, this was a fun manga! Not as hard for me as I expected, which was a great surprise, though I’d be spending too much time looking up kanji without the vocab sheet, so I deeply appreciate that.

I’d like to read more, but can’t decide yet if I can commit since I’m trying to read so many things at once. I think I’m leaning towards yes, if for no reason other than I already got volumes 2 and 3 free from Bookwalker. Holding out on voting since I don’t know for sure though. Pretty sure this is the same thing I said last time with a book club I’ve stuck with, so I might just be annoyingly indecisive.

9 Likes

Oh no the favourite chapter poll is too hard - I liked them all

6 Likes

I already started rethinking my vote the moment I did it. Maybe I like mall more than babysitting actually. I dunno. Tough calls. Birthday present is definitely number 1 for me, though.

7 Likes

Decided on the cat chapter because, well, cat, and the bargain sale because I enjoy the sheer chaos of it, but then the mall chapter is really sweet and the roomba chapter is another super chaotic and fun one

I’m awful at ranking things haha

8 Likes