Join us! 日常・Nichijou 🦌 (Beginner Book Club)

Ahh, I’m slowly trying to keep up with book clubs (I always start but then lag behind between work & grad school), but I got the first three books (and book 10 by accident) so I guess I’ll just read the whole series regardless of whether WK BBC read more! :blush:

3 Likes

Poll is open to vote on reading schedule

(It’s not as varied as I thought it might be, because most of the alternatives are ultimately a bit nonsensical.)

sounds fun, i’ll join too, thanks for setting this up

3 Likes

スラマッパギ!! I’ll join this one too. I have watched the anime when it came out, it will be fun to revisit Nichijou!

5 Likes

I have N5 level knowledge and I’m about to start learning N4, but my vocabulary kinda sucks haha. I’ll join in!

6 Likes

I went to grab a different book when I found this on the shelf and just “Oh gosh this has probably started already!!”
I had completely forgotten about it! :crazy_face:
Glad it hadn’t quite started yet. Now I have it on my pile of “active books” in the living room :wink:

3 Likes

I just got my copy, and I was reading the author’s name on the cover. I was confused about why his nameあらる was written as Arawi in romaji. Then I found that there is actually an ancient hiragana for wi ゐ which is very similar to る! Looks like I still have more hiragana to learn after all these years.

2 Likes

Don’t bother. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ooooh, that’s super interesting! I’d been thinking that あらる seemed like quite an unusual name / sound combination.

2 Likes

Hey,
I will join you all with this manga. This will be the first time I participate in the book club, looking forward to have a great time reading and discussing this.

10 Likes

Hey all,
Another first timer checking in here! Very excited to start reading along with you all.

10 Likes

Hello! I’m new to doing book clubs here as well, and planning to join in for this one. This manga looks like a lot of fun!

7 Likes

All of the volumes are currently 50% off on bookwalker and you get 45% of that reduced price back as coins until the 27th. (This sale is not only limited to Nichijou and no I do not get paid to say this)

4 Likes

The kanji sometimes look really blurry on the preview on Bookwalker. Are they in the paid full version?
Has anyone bought an eBook that they can confirm is sharp enough to read all the kanji easily?

1 Like

Older manga (such as this one from 2005) are notorious for having low-resolution digital releases.

I bought via Kobo, and here’s what a panel looks like:

i-011x

2 Likes

On bookwalker it looks about the same as on Kobo, at least the piece that @ChristopherFritz copied, BUT behold this from the first page with dialogue. It’s readable, but only barely.

ETA. I jumped to random pages, and unreadable text seems to be exception rather than a rule.

2 Likes

Finally read this in January this year after having bought the actual book on my first trip to Japan in 2011 :sweat_smile: I reviewed it with my Japanese language partner and I asked her a lot of questions and wrote down my notes so I’ll see if there are things I can clarify based on what she told me!

1 Like

This is what it looks like on booklive. Basically the same version like @ChristopherFritz and @maykeye:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-22 um 19.17.51

2 Likes

Speaking of booklive. Guys, guys, this is emergency!

Not only booklive version looks very slightly better(at least seems easier to read),
apparently right now it’s free until 【期間限定】2021年05月06日まで無料配信中!

4 Likes

I think this might be one of those cases where it’s free to read until 6th May, but you would then have to buy it to keep access.

I’m by no means an expert on the terminology they use to differentiate those two scenarios though!

In any case, it gives people a way to try the book at low cost to themselves before committing, and might be helpful for anybody waiting on a physical copy.

2 Likes