Join us! 日常・Nichijou 🦌 (Beginner Book Club)

There are external resources.
If you look over on the internet, there’s a typing game (probably of questionable legality) which asks you to type kana for this chapter and it has copypastable kanji. Also there’s a bot on twitter with some quotes as well, so finding text can be done.

1 Like

My book just arrived! Perfect timing! I’m really excited. I’ve never joined a book club before.

9 Likes

Hello all!
I just finished reading 霧のむこうのふしぎな町 referencing the completed book club, which was helpful, so I decided to read along with this since I can do it ‘live’ this time! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Week 2

Well done to everybody who has made it through the first week’s reading!

If you haven’t finished chapter 1 yet, don’t worry, as you can continue to post questions about the content in the chapter 1 thread as long as you need to.

This week we’re tackling two chapters. It’s only a couple of pages more, but there is probably a bit more text overall.

7 Likes

Week 3

Slightly fewer pages this week :grin: hang in there! If you can get past the hump of the first few weeks you’ll be off.

5 Likes

Week 4

Just one chapter this week, cos it’s a decent bit on its own. But, lowest page count yet!

1 Like

Week 5 Discussion

Three chapters this week! But you’ll see why when you get to chapter 9 :wink:

2 Likes

Alright, brace yourself for some spamming, boys and girls:

The Beginner Book Club is now voting on our next pick to follow this one: vote now!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m a little behind, but I’m gonna catch up with y’all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Heads-up: I’m going to re-jig our schedule slightly so that we will tackle only chapter 10 in the upcoming week, and pairs of chapters thereafter. It gives us a slightly less even workload later, but I thought it might be a useful opportunity for anybody who is just a little behind and wants to catch up, and also means we don’t end on a somewhat anticlimactic 8-pager.

8 Likes

Week 6 Discussion

As promised, this will be a slightly lighter week covering only one chapter, so if you’re a little behind this is the perfect opportunity to do a bit of catching up :grin:

2 Likes

[Week 6: Chapter 10]
Perfect timing to learn a new word :wink:

15 Likes

Week 7

I don’t know if there is going to be a poll later on, but is there a plan to continue reading 日常 with a spin-off book club? I know the discussions have fewer messages than the other clubs (maybe that’s my bias since からかい上手の高木さん is an ABBC), but it is really fun trying to understand all the puns and references in 日常 with the book club!

3 Likes

Having physically purchased the first three volumes I’ve been wondering the same thing myself. I’d certainly like to continue on in a book club fashion as well but I think you’re right that the conversation has been a bit sparse. Sure, I’m partly to blame. This being my first book club, in any language, I’m still trying to learn how to ask the right questions and share helpful information. Anyhow, I plan to continue with 日常、especially considering I read the free chapter of the next book in the BBC and disliked it very much.

3 Likes

I bought the second volume a few days ago, so I would read along if the book club continues :grin:

4 Likes

@liveunderwater @Jiell_1
Great! I will get a few of the next volumes with my Amazon Japan order for July’s reading clubs.

This will be a long journey but I’m also planning to complete reading 日常, and then continue with Arawi Keiichi’s other manga CITY, which is not adapted into an anime yet.

Oooh I would be very interested in reading CITY as well.

1 Like

Usually I’d poll people right at the end to see if there’s enough interest for a spin-off :slightly_smiling_face: but there would need to be a volunteer to run it as I won’t continue myself.

On which note I’m sorry I haven’t personally been active in the threads; the person running it should really make some effort to engage in the discussion, but it’s been a bit of a time!

3 Likes

I can volunteer if enough people are interested, but I would need some guidance since I never run a book club before. :slight_smile:

4 Likes