ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 (Beginner Book Club)

I just bought the first volume from Book Walker. I’d prefer a hard copy, this will be my first time with a digital one. We’ll see how it goes :smiley:

2 Likes

First time I’ll be doing group read, really excited to start with haikyuu, one of my fav anime anyway

4 Likes

I am about N5 level both kanji and grammar-wise. Would it be enough?

1 Like

It depends on how much time you are able/willing to spend on looking up grammar and vocab. The absolute beginners’ book club may be a better fit for you. There is a Doggy Detective book starting soon, those are pretty fun :slight_smile:

this is my first bookclub and i’m about N5 for grammar too though i might have learned more kanji than you… it’s my first time reading.

i think it’s gonna be hard but with the kanji list and support, we can do it.

it’s a lot of pages in a week though! And the writing is so tiny I really should buy magnifiers!

2 Likes

I went for the digital as well. Reading on the kindle fire. A bit disappointed that some of the furigana is difficult/impossible to read due to the resolution. Not sure if I would have the same problem with print. Someone mentioned above that you may need a magnifying glass with the print version.

2 Likes

the resolution is high on the print: very crisp. But the print is tiny. I got an eye test in march and i dod need a small correction on one eye but i never ended up getting specs so it might help.

here’s a pic with a V7 ballpoint for ref

the top bubble is fine but the bottom ones are gonna be heard to read!

i got some other manga at the same time and the writing is more like the first bubble on this page.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed. Especially when the background is dark, like at the very beginning of the first chapter. Oh, well, 仕方ない…

This looks lovely, can’t wait to start tomorrow!

1 Like

First week is up ハイキュー・Haikyu! (Beginner Book Club) - Week 1

1 Like

You guys are reading Haikyuu but do not have volleyball emote :volleyball: in thread title?

Sacrilegious! :joy:

6 Likes

i added one hehe! hope that’s ok @yukinet

1 Like

I just realized yesterday that Netflix US has the Haikyu!! anime, so I watched a bunch of episodes last night so I’ll have a good idea of the plot and vocab. Since I’m having a lot of trouble reading the furigana on some of the smaller panels too, I’m hoping having watched the anime will give me some context clues for what the words might be.

I’m struggling really hard with how tiny the characters are. I mean, on the one hand it forces me to actually read the kanji instead of relying on furigana which is nice, but when I need them to look up a word it’s a nightmare. Zooming in just makes them blurry, which gives me a headache…

1 Like

i got physical copies and just bought a magnifier. I took a picture with my phone and it zooms in well but i have no desire to do so for all the pages!

that’s 100% on a phone pic that’s 15% of the editor app window when i open it up (3 - 4mb per pic). The pic is really crap as well, taken with little natural light.

The books are pretty stiff too and it would mean pushing them flat to take pictures which damages them.

I’m glad to see the quality is decent on paper at least. Really surprised by how low the resolution of the ebook is (at least on bookwalker), it’s my first time reading an ebook overall but it’s the opposite of what I expected haha

2 Likes

Digital manga are just scans of the actual paper manga and some are better quality scans than others. Normal ebooks ie all text are obviously entirely digital so the furigana in those are fine.

But yeah the furigana is never going to be as crisp in the digital version of manga as it is in the printed versions.

3 Likes

i would have expected amazing resolution if you pay for it though?

i bought this thing lol! even my grandma does not use anything like this!

bibles are notorious for their low quality small print, aren’t they?

4 Likes

I really wish they could make the manga like half e book and half pictures. It’s incredibly useful to select text in a Japanese Ebook and directly lookup and unknown kanji or word without having to type it or worse yet guess how to draw it. For this book I’ve decided to just have the English version side by side which I will read quickly after I finish the Japanese one.

1 Like

Another option would be to use OCR software like Capture2Text.
I tested it on the Haikyuu manga already and it works reasonably well considering the resolution is so shitty…