Join us! ハイキュー・Haikyu! (Beginner Book Club) - Starting December 12

ah~ thanks for reminding me. I’ll have a proper look at my calender tomorrow to see when I got time.

1 Like

Late to this post and usually a lurker, but was planning on reading this anyways! I was going to watch the anime since most of my friends talk about it all the time, but this will be a way more productive use of my time while still experiencing the story!

2 Likes

so, me following along with shimeji simulation did not work that well. not so much the grammar, but there were so many unknown words that I Iost my motivation. But I will try again with haikyuu and join. last time, I managed 3 weeks, so this times at least 4 weeks of reading a long is a must xD. It might be easier as the anime is on netflix as well… :grin:

1 Like

seanblue made a room for haykyu in the read aloud server join here → https://discord.gg/ByBmv6x85p

I wasn’t planning on reading this one, but since I don’t have any other book clubs upcoming and don’t spend a lot of time on active studying at the moment, I decided to join anyways. This is the first time in my life I voluntarily bought the ebook version of something since I’m still unsure if I’ll enjoy Haikyu, but I think if I decide to keep reading this series I’ll get a paperback copy of the first volume as well when I order the next volume.

1 Like

I’m super excited for this, I’ve been meaning to read Haikyuu but reading it in English felt like somewhat a missed opportunity to improve my Japanese, and I couldn’t find the motivation to read the original by myself!

1 Like

I might join this one, would be the first book club for me. I’ve read a few other manga, mainly several volumes of Non Non Biyori and I’ve also (semi-successfully) struggled with some short novels; my grammar is pretty terrible, but going slightly out of comfort zone is why we are here, amirite?
So I’ll try and get it till the 12th, but I might have to join in slightly late…we’ll see how it goes.

2 Likes

I never joined a bookclub before, but I’d love to ! I’ve been a big fan of haikyuu for ages but never got the chance to read the first half. It’s a great oportunity since I have to get back to a regular studying schedule.

4 Likes

this will be my first time joining this book club, could someone explain to me how this works please? :slight_smile:

basically we set a schedule and read the book, discuss the read pages, and read it aloud(read aloud is optional)

1 Like

ah okay, thank you, are read alouds recordings or discord calls or some other communication platforms?

discord meeting, the format is generally, AFAIK, we read a bunch of pages then either translate or go over the hard problem and repeat but any other format is welcome.

PS. you can vote for a date on the second post of this topic

2 Likes

i’ll close the day poll in a week. small note the days are EST thus saturday EST will be saturday and sunday in japan time.

Since shimeji is over(for me), I’m closing the day poll in a few days

This will be my first time doing a book club and might be a bit of a struggle based on my current reading abilities, but this looks like a lot of fun! I’m in. :smiley:

4 Likes

took me long enough but i just bought the first 3 volumes!

2 Likes

i’m closing the day poll. by chance, the hour poll has the correct date, for now the winner is 19/dec 3pm est or 19/dec 8pm GMT, 20/dec 5am(19/dec 29:00) JST
2020-12-19T20:00:00Z

anyhow, we can always talk about the next read aloud, in the read aloud