ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 (Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to ハイキュー

We read this as part of the Beginner Book Club! We’re now continuing the series beyond volume 1 as an offshoot - check out that Beginner Book Club thread to see what we’re currently reading as our main pick.

Currently reading: Volume 16

If you want to take part, just buy the book and join in the discussion! There’s also a number of polls further down.

Not sure if this is for you? Check out the Nomination Post and the free sample on the Kobo or Amazon stores. Remember that your fellow book club members and the vocab sheet will be here to help you out.

Buying the book

First Volume

Physical | Amazon.co.jp | CD Japan
eBook | Ebook Japan | Kobo | Kindle

Reading Schedule

week Chapter starting page page count date where
1 chapter 1.1 5 27 12/Dec until the end of the “flashback”
2 chapter 1.2 32 55 19/Dec
3 chapter 2 61 26 02/Jan
4 chapter 3 87 24 09/Jan
5 chapter 4 111 20 16/Jan
6 chapter 5 131 20 29/Jan
7 chapter 6 151 20 06/Feb
8 chapter 7 171 20 13/Feb

volume 1 votes

Offshoot Book Club

We are reading the subsequent volumes as an offshoot book club.

Read aloud

Join here for the read aloud. Ask for the time in the chat.

Members

Are you planning to read ハイキュー with us?

• yes
  • no
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion, please select ‘yes’!

This is my first time running a book club, please mention if anything is off or could be better.

18 Likes

The read aloud will read the previous week’s part. Please vote on a date, approximate hour, and precise time for the first read aloud session. While i would love to put the product(combination) of these polls, i can only add 20 options in a given poll. First select a date then the approximate hour(2 hour ranges) then how much later than the hour should we start. The duration will be somewhere between one or two hours depending on how on-topic we’ll be and the general Japanese level. I’ll close the day poll a week before club starts(Dec/05), the hour poll the week it starts(Dec/12) and the minute poll before the second part start(Dec/15 mid week). Alternatively we can first vote here then vote down here so we have a better understanding of the realm of possibilities.(thus the link will serve as guide to selecting likely date/times. The results will be only based on the polls below).

TLDR: if you voted Friday 3pm and Tuesday 2am, and when the date poll(fist poll) got closed and we chose Friday, remove 2 am from the hour poll(second poll)

What they should the first read aloud session be?(please only vote if you will come). I’ll close the vote the day the club start
  • Saturday, December 19, 2020 12:00 AM
  • Sunday, December 20, 2020 12:00 AM
  • Monday, December 21, 2020 12:00 AM
  • Tuesday, December 22, 2020 12:00 AM
  • Wednesday, December 23, 2020 12:00 AM
  • Thursday, December 24, 2020 12:00 AM
  • Friday, December 25, 2020 12:00 AM
  • click

0 voters

What time is good for you?(remember to change it after i close the datepoll, also ignore the date)- 12:00 AM
  • 12:00 AM
  • 2:00 AM
  • 4:00 AM
  • 6:00 AM
  • 8:00 AM
  • 10:00 AM
  • 12:00 PM
  • 2:00 PM
  • 4:00 PM
  • 6:00 PM
  • 8:00 PM
  • 10:00 PM
  • click

0 voters

What minute is good for you?(remember to change it after i close the datepoll, also ignore the date)
  • +00:00
  • +00:15
  • +00:30
  • +00:45
  • +01:00
  • +01:15
  • +01:30
  • +01:45
  • click

0 voters

1 Like

I think I’ll read along, because I love haikyuu. I may however yet develop some restraint and realize I’ve already read most of the series in English before the start of the book club… And subsequently decide to save some money. :eyes:

3 Likes

I love Haikyuu and have been meaning to read the manga, though the original intention was just to read it in English. This is a great way to kill two birds with one stone! I’ve never participated in a WaniKani book club though, so will need some help understanding how this works :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Thank you! Appreciate that clarification. Is the idea to just read the first book, or do groups ever break off to continue through the rest of a series?

1 Like

depends sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. from the beginner book club post, the one continued as offshoots are listed.

1 Like

This is a nice coincidence as I only just a few days ago bought this at my local Kinokuniya. Sounds like that will be fun to read with others. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’ve only watched the anime so far and fell absolutely in love at first episode. I’ve been thinking wether that would be a manga I feel comfortable trying to read (and actually continue further than just the first 3 pages ^^') in Japanese. So this is the perfect opportunity. Count me in. :slight_smile:

@lilyoli First time taking part in a book club for me as well.

6 Likes

Yay! I’m very excited for this :smiley:
The page count for chapter 7 is also 20, it ends on page 191 (so you can update the table).

1 Like

thanks! updated

1 Like

oh im excited for this ! i’ve always wanted to read haikyuu !!

3 Likes

ok i missed the post determining the start date, i’ve been advise to just go with the later date. i apologize to everyone who wanted to start on the fifth.

1 Like

I’m in it! Excited and can’t wait

i added a poll, sorry for the complexity couldn’t figure how else to do this while keeping the poll flexible.

I voted on both the polls and when2meet, but - how long is the reading session expected to be?

depends but 1 to 2 hours would be my guess

1 Like

I suspect this is a little tough for my reading level, but I’d really like to join in and see how it goes!

3 Likes

I’m more on the absolute beginner level. But I love ハイキュー and I’ve bought several the first volume to motivate me to learn japanese. So I’ll give my best to keep up.
I am so excited! :grin:

4 Likes

ah~ thanks for reminding me. I’ll have a proper look at my calender tomorrow to see when I got time.

1 Like

Late to this post and usually a lurker, but was planning on reading this anyways! I was going to watch the anime since most of my friends talk about it all the time, but this will be a way more productive use of my time while still experiencing the story!

2 Likes