Join Us! デスノート ・ Death Note (Beginner Book Club) // Upcoming: Short stories

" In 2008, two sixth-grade boys were actually arrested when their shared Death Note, which contained names of school faculty and classmates, was found and deemed by authorities to be “terrorist threats.” The boys cited the anime Death Note as inspiration for the “joke.”

In a statement, Sheriff Todd Entrekin said: “No matter what age the students are, in light of what has happened recently in Georgia and other incidents around the country, we consider all threats to be a very serious matter.”"

Just cause they wrote down the names of people they didn’t like in a book doesn’t make it a death threat, even with the context of the book -_-
It’s a “I wish I didn’t have to be near this person”, like kids often do. It is not a “I will physically harm this person”. What about all those why SAY much worse things?! They rarely get punished! “Go kill yourself!” often gets ignored even! :unamused:

I’ve had real death threat, had to report it to the police. They took it seriously and made a report of it as evidence in case something happened, and advised me to just stay away from the person if possible. Then they did nothing. A grown as man with a criminal record got less for making an actual threat, but kids got arrested for writing down names :person_facepalming:

8 Likes

Those are very good questions. I think there is a mix of vocab and grammar gaps but more importantly - psychological factors the fear of unknown and potential regret of spending a lot of time to understand something I am not interested in.
Reading the first 10 pages (without google translate) and watching a little of anime did take the stress off. It looks like I am able to understand the core meaning correctly.
The plot is indeed interesting.

4 Likes

omg I bought the first volume at the airport when I was coming back from Japan around 4 years ago (I was about to buy the whole series but decided against it since I couldn’t actually read Japanese :P). I am not sure the level is right for me, especially cause I haven’t studied Japanese for the last 2 years and just got back to it, but I will try to follow along :smiley:

13 Likes

I love the coverart of this edition! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Week 2 is now live

9 Likes

The Beginner book club is currently voting on what to read next! Have a look:

7 Likes

My copy of Death Note vol 1 finally arrived :partying_face: . Let’s do this!

12 Likes

The week 3 thread is live

7 Likes

I feel like some kind of cheater lol
I mean… I’m reading the manga, alright… transcribing it into my evernote to make notes on it and be able to work with the text … but since I installed yomichan, it just kinda feels way too easy :see_no_evil:
I’m not really breaking it down in the way other people seem to, more just understanding the text… and I’m putting the words I have to look up into Anki (got it linked with Yomichan) but I’m not too certain, I’ll actually do the reviews on those words ^^‘’

When I was trying to go through with Mitsuboshi Colors I had to google (well… ichi.moe/jisho/or at least use the vocabulary sheet) for a lot of stuff… but now with Yomichan I pretty much don’t have to do that (anything) anymore at all and I’m just feeling like… what the heck is going on I must be doing something terribly wrong this can’t be so easy what’s going oooon :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

The only thing I can recommend is to actually go through those words in Anki. That’s what I usually do. I think using Yomichan is okay, but long-term one should definitely not abuse it :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

yeah I actually started that some hours ago :slight_smile:
it’s not that hard either because most words I added are just unknown kanji (for words I already know)

3 Likes

I’d say the most important thing is whether you understand the grammar.

If you do understand the grammar, then focusing on adding words to Anki sounds like the right activity to focus on. (Even better if you’re working your way up to creating sentence cards rather than vocabulary cards.)

On the other hand, if you don’t know (all) the grammar you encounter, and you are trying to put together meaning from sentences, then I highly recommend working on learning the grammar (better).

Does Yomichan utilize frequency lists? If so, you can add only high-frequency words, which will result in a lower volume. This may help if you feel having too many cards may prevent you from doing reviews.

On the other hand, if the issue is that you don’t normally do Anki reviews, I like to do my Anki reviews immediately after WaniKani reviews (time permitting) to ensure I don’t forget Anki.

8 Likes

The thread for week 4 is now live

7 Likes

Week 5 is now live!

7 Likes

A quick plot of the club at the half way mark (I included both “I’m reading along” & “I’m planning to catch up later” for now)

10 Likes

That’s about normal I think =P

4 Likes

Week 6 is up!

6 Likes

I was kind of wondering. Since we’re just doing volume 1 now and the story just gets more and more interesting from volume 2 on, should we have a separate book club and continue with the story?

I know it might be too many book clubs, though.

5 Likes

After the first volume is done I will hold a poll to gauge the interest in a spin off book club. If there is enough interest we will continue!

7 Likes

I am grateful, thank you! :bowing_man:
I see that the attendance is dropping slightly so I would be perfectly okay with a less-than-a-book-club option as well.

3 Likes