Join us! 地縛少年花子くん・Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun 🚽 (Beginner Book Club)

I think you’ve got the 性欲に負けた part right, but I think the joke is he’s saying he became 花子さん (in the conceptual sense of a ghost that haunts a girl’s bathroom, more than just the name) to perv on girls.

(I looked it up in the digital edition and found a couple places discussing it and that interpretation seems to line up. Plus her さいてい after makes more sense that way)

3 Likes

Week 1

We. Are. Go!

(For those who are new, we post the threads at this time so that they’re ready for those waking up on Saturday morning just west of the date line :wink: )

The most important rule of book club us: post all your questions! The discussion depends entirely on people asking questions, so don’t be shy / feel like you’re posting too many / feel like they’re too simple, whatever. (Just remember to make sure your question hasn’t already been answered, provide the page number, and blur out any spoilers.)

Finally, I’d recommend setting this thread to ‘watching’ so that you are notified when the new discussion threads go up :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Excited to join in on this book club :smiley:

2 Likes

So to make sure, every week a part to read is set, and then we discuss both the language and anything else about it. Is that how this works?

1 Like

Yeah! Be sure to set the weekly discussion threads to “watching” to stay abreast of discussion. Ask and answer whatever questions you want, be it about grammar help or content discussion. And you can also make use of the community vocab sheet.

Awwwsome, thanks.

Week 2

I have had an internet nightmare so made this thread on my partner’s phone… Has it worked? I don’t know!

We’re finishing up chapter 1 this week :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m afraid it hasn’t worked, but I think this is the link here: 地縛少年花子くん | Week 2 Discussion 🚽

Does that work?

Edit: (That is me assuming it’s the second week topic you’re trying to post haha)

2 Likes

Ah, I think I have fixed it anyway, but thank you!

2 Likes

Ah, alrighty, no problem!

1 Like

Week 3

Alright, we are transitioning to one chapter per week - but it’s only a couple of pages more than last week, so don’t worry :wink:

If you’re still working your way through chapter 1, do not panic! You are welcome to keep asking questions in those threads as long as you need to. Remember that your questions help others learn too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Week 4

We are steaming ahead to chapter 3! If you’ve managed to keep pace with the club you’d already over halfway through :triumph:

2 Likes

Week 5

Penultimate week! This is the first part of a two-chapter arc.

1 Like

Week 6

FINAL WEEK! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

We’ve created a thread for volume 2 if anyone is interested. Drop by anytime you like. There isn’t a strict schedule so you can read at your own pace if you decide to continue with the series.

2 Likes

We’re up to volume 3 now and the story is picking up.

Welcome to 地縛少年花子くん :toilet: Volume 3

This is the third volume of 地縛少年花子くん. The First volume was read as part of the Beginner Book club. You can find the original post for the book club here:

Beginner Book Club Hanako home thread

This isn’t exactly an official off-shoot club, more like a relaxed thread where people who decide to continue the series can discuss and ask question on the book. There is no strict schedule so feel free to drop by anytime you want and read at your own pace!

The Story So Far

Summary

Yashiro Nene walked into the girl’s toilet in the old school building one day hoping to summon the ghost of a girl called Hanako who is rumored to grant any wish you ask for. To her surprise it turns out Hanako is actually a boy?! Through some mischief Hanako and Yashiro are now bound together by a curse of a mermaid. If Yashiro gets wet, she begins to develop fishy properties :fish:

Last volume Hanako, Nene, and Kou were able to escape the Misaki Stairs boundry and save the students that were trapped inside. Nene managed to find and break No. 4’s Yorishiro, a pair of old scissors given to No. 4 by Misaki sensei. Feeling bad for No. 4 after destroying her precious Yorishiro, Nene gave her a new name and a new rumor.

We also had a few laughs with the confession tree which forced people who confess under it to become a couple. And finally, Minamoto senpai tries to destroy Hanako-kun, but his younger brother manages to stop him. Hanako says he can’t move on, he still has something he needs to do.

Quietly a ‘handsome’ boy who bumps into Nene drifts along a corridor, a black origami crane floats by, and in the library, a mysterious girl offers to tell Nene about the seven school mysteries.

What’s up with the black origami crane ? Who’s the mysterious girl that meets Nene in the library? Find out in this volume. :books: :spider:

2 Likes

@admins can we make the OP of this thread a wiki so that we can update it to link to follow-on volumes?

edit: Whoops meant to say @Mods

1 Like

Yep! No prob. It’s a wiki now.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Beginner book club voting now

This is the last post for today I hope the discourse gods aren’t to harsh to my spamming.

The beginner book club is currently voting on what to read next, you have until Sunday to participate. If you are interested have a look!

1 Like