Joeni's Journey (A Study Log) πŸ—“

Gotcha. I love how most of the EU nations have the focus on education. Being student loan free out of college is life changing as a massive loan puts skids on everything. I know someone has to pick up the tab somewhere, in general I prefer the German way of tax payers subsidizing/free the education. At least one can have the satisfaction of our tax money going to something useful :face_with_monocle:.

If your Swedish adventure is going to be cut short due to Brexit, did you explore if Japanese universities are offering courses online? (They might be having lower fees . I haven’t done any research and am just thinking out loud here.)

I think you are lucky you have a degree :slightly_smiling_face: and luckier to have a passion and patience to entertain the thought of a second degree. I tip my hat to you in admiration :cowboy_hat_face:

If I come across any good ones, I will let you know. Keep us posted :raised_hands:t2:

4 Likes

I wish there were, there don’t seem to be any within the UK and I did look at other countries with free university study and couldn’t any in Germany, for example.

Well, I’m 34, so I did my first degree in Photography a long time ago, it feels like. I technically never finished, but having received funding at the undergraduate level still counts. I started doing my cyber security degree online a couple years ago and was able to get funding due to the aforementioned rules exception for STEM subjects.

5 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have a set of baseline terms?
Ex: it has to be a 4 year degree
It has to be free or less than Β£1000 per year

I hope you successfully completed it. It’s a burgeoning field and the prospects are good. If you are interested, there is a book called β€œSandworm” written by a journalist from β€œWired”. It deals with the mayhem of NotPetya unleashed back around 2015. (If you are not interested in reading a book, I recommend at least the long form wired article on the topic. It might take you 30 mins but might be well worth it.)

I like to read a lot on a lot of things. And I tend to recommend things that might sound interesting to me. Please feel free to ignore my suggestions, if it doesn’t work for you.

3 Likes

Here in the Netherlands it’s partially subsidized. For any EU citizen, your first year costs around 1000 euros, all years after that are around 2000. They also offer student loans which you only have to repay if you salary allows it, and they are written off if you haven’t paid them back after 30 years. They actually only switched to the loan system recently, before that every student simply got a set amount of money every month which they didn’t have to pay back.

3 Likes

The interest is so low on our student loans (lower than inflation even), so I take out a loan just to invest the money :eyes:

7 Likes

Ours are only loans in the sense that we borrow them from the government and they’re called loans; they get paid directly to the university, so we can’t do anything like that, unfortunately, hehe. Well, apart from the maintenance loans, but those you can’t get if your study is part-time.

Post-graduate loans on the other hand, tuition is about Β£7,000 and they give you a Β£11,000 loan.

4 Likes

Update for 11th October 2020

γƒ―γƒ‹γ‚«γƒ‹β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ ζ–‡γƒ—γƒ­
Level 18 β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Ž1‏6 Level
Lessons 59 β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€β€Ž β€Ž β€β€Ž β€Ž β€β€Žβ€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€ β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž N5 JLPT Path
Reviews 0 ‏‏ β€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž57/111 Items

Today has been an meh kind of day, my son woke up and came into our room, which woke me up, boo. Was mean to to be my lie-in day. Oh well, I got up, did my reviews, etc. I’ve been too busy with family stuff and such today to do my lessons, but it’s a work day tomorrow and my son will be in nursery, so Iβ€˜ll get those lessons done in the morning because I’m due to level up in just under 48hrs.

I spent the afternoon doing a health check/rebuild of my wife’s aunt’s laptop, while watching Attack on Titan when I was waiting for stuff to install, updates to run, etc. Then she came round to pick it up and wanted more stuff done, so I was occupied until 22:00. After that point I retired to the office to watch some more AoT and then play a little Genshin Impact. If anyone else is playing and wants to add me as a friend, just let me know, because I know no other players, hehe.

Now I’m going to head to bed because it’s nearly 1AM and I really should have gone to bed an hour ago. Oh well, such is lockdown life.

A 28 (-22)β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ G 617 (+21) β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€ M 1050 (-3) β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Ž E 627 (+4) β€Žβ€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€ B 530 (+/-0)

7 Likes

The same applies on the student loans here, the interest is 0%. You can literally just put the money in a bank account and make some money from the interest you get on your savings (not that that’s very much).

4 Likes

It’s awesome :raised_hands:t2:

I don’t think Non-EU citizens could get such a good deal.

Roflmao :rofl: Is that legal? Aren’t you supposed to show an admit or something like that? And even then most lenders directly send it to the University instead of giving it to the student.

Did you truly try it in real life :stuck_out_tongue: ? Or were you making a point Kumirei ?

2 Likes

Yep!

What’s an admit?

Since university is free here regardless it’s just intended for living expenses (so you don’t have to work), so it goes straight into my bank account.

Yep. I have like $10k in loans that I could technically pay back today if I wanted to

4 Likes

Hahaha. Makes me wish I was born in Sweden :joy:

Essentially a piece of paper/letter to confirm that you got into the university. Usually banks/lenders give loan after credit check and then verifying admit document.

:flushed: I need to look up Sweden’s international student policies to see if I can avail similar (I don’t expect the same level of patronship) offers for study or work? Considering you are proficient in scripting, I am assuming you are working in an IT role or did a course in CS/IT related subjects. If yes, what’s your take on IT jobs in Sweden? (The regular web articles sound like advertisement boards for consultants, so asking for a real person’s opinion.)

Wow :star_struck: I have to admit, I envy you a little. (I know every country has its drawbacks so I am sure you have had your share of difficulties. I knew EU countries were student friendly, but this blows my mind :scream:)

My only knowledge of Sweden is β€œThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” series by Stieg Larsson.

3 Likes

While the institution handing out the loans already has that information directly from the universities I do have to tick a box and click a button to verify that I am indeed intending to take the classes I am enrolled in.

No clue about the benefits, but as was mentioned above any EES citizen can attend Swedish universities for free.

Hah! I almost have a degree in physics (got a bit burned out) and almost a degree in Japanese (working on it), but the closest I got to CS was an introduction class in Python. Everything else I’ve learned as a hobby. I literally learned to script here on WK. I will be looking into getting a CS degree after Japanese, though

Should I tell you that all Swedish students also get a $300/month stipend when studying? To do with whatever they please

5 Likes

Wow :flushed: last I enjoyed Physics in class was in high school. We have a Physicist among us :partying_face: Glad to meet you Dr.Kumirei.

:+1: Good luck Kumirei.

:sob: When I was living as a broke student, that was the same amount I was earning part-time while doing a full-time degree.

4 Likes

I actually did not enjoy high school physics, but I love the frontier theoretical physics

4 Likes

I have to read up what it means. I am guessing it prefers String theory over Newtonian physics. What made you pick up Physics when you didn’t enjoy it in High School? (You don’t have to answer this question if you don’t want to.) Did you already know you liked frontier physics in high school?

4 Likes

I did the exact same thing here. Although I paid it back this summer as I’m planning on graduating this year and since it technically counts as a loan it does make getting a bank to give you a loan harder, which might be required if I have to buy a house or something.

Looks like I did the opposite study track then. I’ve nearly finished my CS degree and took the occasional physics course for fun. I mostly did the courses on quantumphysics since I could combine it with my quantum computing classes though.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about string theory in particular yet, but that’s more or less the essence of it. Everything about fundamental physics is my marmalade. Newtonian physics was terribly boring

In Sweden our high schools are specialized, and since I very much want to work for myself in the future I was attending an economics HS, which didn’t offer physics. During my time there I got more and more interested in physics and eventually decided to go for it in uni. This meant, however, that I had to take supplementary HS physics (and chemistry) classes after graduating HS. So funnily enough yes, I decided that I wanted to go into theoretical physics before I even touched HS physics

That sounds fun! I’ll eventually get back to physics, but right now I’m more interested in Japanese and CS

@Joeni Sorry for all the off-topic discussion

4 Likes

Nice. I thought Fundamental physics and Newtonian physics are the same. (I most likely confused the word fundamental with classical)

It is certainly interesting to see many folks interested in physics.

@Kumirei What’s the right place to start a log kind of thread? I have seen a few in Campfire and few in WaniKani. Is there a specific location? Thanks.

@Joeni san This is the last reply here on this discussion. I am going to create a thread of my own - not much of a study log but more of a place to have discussions like this without encroaching on other folks’ hospitality :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I know you asked Kumi, but I’m answering, as is my right as the owner of this log, hehe. Put it wherever you want. Some people put them in campfire, but you can’t link from there and so if you ever wanted to put it as your featured topic, you’d have to have it in WaniKani, which is why I put mine there.

3 Likes

I appreciate your reply. That makes sense, I would start it on WaniKani channel. Thanks Joeni san :grin:

2 Likes