Joeni's Journey (A Study Log) πŸ—“

Sorry, still meowt of likes, but here’s a cat :cat2:

4 Likes

ping…update?

5 Likes

5 Likes

I have been doing badly lately :frowning:

I have 245 lessons and 672 reviews.

Too much time tinkering with computer stuff, not enough time doing reviews.

I SHALL RECTIFY THIS!

I shall also return to usual study log posting, I’m sorry it’s been a week, I didn’t realise I had failed to post that many. I deserve more β€˜you suck’ gifs.

11 Likes

Hi Joeni! Your story resonated with me! (and your post inspired me to post!)

I grew up in the fringes of some Japanese culture. My mother nearly married a Japanese man (before my time), so by the time I was born - it was normal for toddler me to prefer sushi and seaweed snacks vs. spaghetti. My family is a mix of German/Russian/Polish - and my parents decided to try and encourage me to learn German at an early age.

My grandmother encouraged me so we could converse together! I joined German clubs, took all the language classes in school. Took all the German classes in college. And then my Grandma died and I discovered… she actually spoke polish, and she only ever spoke broken German.

My German skills were greatly under utilized and now as a grown up adult, I rarely access those skills as I have no interest in them.

As a child and young adult, I loved watching Japanese cartoons, I loved the food, my Dad convinced me to learn to drive by bribing me with trips to the GIANT Japanese market place, I found I enjoyed some Manga, I found I always had a few albums from Japaneses musicans, and I too also love the visual story like Games and I am frustrated when immersion is broken due to poor translations.

I visited Japan last year, and fell in love with the country and people. And I was disappointed that I hadn’t found the time to pick up the language. My experience with German led me to believe that I am terrible with languages, and whenever I expressed interest in learning Japanese - I would usually hear the β€œIt’s the hardest language to learn, good luck”. I was always convinced of failure before putting in the work.

COVID hit. I was on a walk on the last day of nice weather, rocking out to Ningen Isu, and I was thinking about the Japanese word Kaizen - constant improvement. And a realization sort of hit. The only one stopping me from learning Japanese is me. I’ve spent the bulk of this year, reading, working, cleaning, and just - if I put in a little time every day, my Japanese will improve. I deserve to believe. I deserve to try. I deserve to be a better version of me.

Then I threw myself into it like a fly zooming into your front door. And you know what I realized? I have a shot at this. Due to my affection for Japanese culture, I can immerse myself. This language will enrich my life, versus sitting like half used paint cans in the garage of my mind (That’s my German for you). And much like my horrific fear of driving, I can bribe myself with a vacation to Japan to get those wheels rolling.

I’m still really early in my learning, but I couldn’t sleep last night because my Genki text book is being delivered. And now, here I am. My brain is half awake as it isn’t yet seven. Thank you for sharing your story and your struggle and I am here to say that I believe in you! Little bit of effort every day. Little constant improvements. You’ll get to a better version of you and it will enrich your life.

8 Likes

This is a lovely way to put it and I strongly believe that this is the case ^-^

Thank you, I find myself believing in myself a little more just from hearing that!

Oh and this is your first post, so thank you so much for taking the time to write. In return, please accept my humble welcome post:

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}

welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already.

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you, like:

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resource List
The New and Improved List of API and Third-Party Apps

I hope your Japanese learning journey goes well and that you enjoy your time with us on the forums.

7 Likes

Thank you, Joeni! For sharing these resources! I have been eyeing the scripts, but my enthusiasm as of late has turned to making some flash cards. The house centipede I drew for big, eyes me and judges me for spending 10 minutes on him.

I’ll make it a goal of mine to get a script downloaded and to read at least one guide for WaniKani. You even kindly provided links and the most adorable gif!

Thank you for sharing! Now I must bathe in coffee and get myself ready to face the giant new lesson pile. I just crossed into Level 2 and I am READY.

6 Likes
Hi Joeni, how it's going?

I hope there is no serious reason for you to stop updating this blog, so allow me to intervene a little bit.

I’m a bit suspicious that you may have allowed reviews to accumulate, and you let go of your daily WK routine. Well, you’ve been going at max speed for a while, it should be super taxing. I quit idea of 7 days levels around L5. If you need a break, take it, and put on vacation mode. After a week of break, you can return and work thru your reviews starting with oldest ones, fixed amount of reviews per day. If this sounds like a plan, I can provide daily cheer leading/kick in the ****. Ignore tempting pile of lessons, no need to add more until reviews are at zero.

I think you’ve restarted WK few times already, so let’s see it to the end this time?

P.S. To explain why I’m writing this post, since it is very unusual for me. I’m not a stalker. I have
a habit to scroll thru POLL thread for fun, and you caught my attention with your gifs and your dual monitor setup at home (green envy on that). Then I enjoyed your daily updates here, amused that you still have energy to write them up at the end of the day. I was looking forward you surpassing me in WK level up game, since I’m a slow pacer. I not like to quit things, and I’d rather you not quit - unless that’s the decision that you’ve made.

5 Likes
Summary

Joeni san did say, he was a little occupied at work. Probably that along with taking care of monster kun and holiday season might have put brakes on his schedule. I am highly confident Joeni san would be back after Thanksgiving with his batteries fully recharged :grin: or His HP back to full if you prefer gaming lingo :stuck_out_tongue:

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

i was thinkin the same not even an hour ago, as i ran downstairs…

3 Likes

two weeks off that I’ve booked for the start of the new World of Warcraft expansion launch.

I have been doing badly lately

I’m gonna admit the same thing might happen to me when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out :joy: I also booked in some leave for it

4 Likes

He’s British, so no Thanksgiving to contend with.

@Joeni I also miss your updates and look forward to your return

3 Likes

@Joeni さん、I miss you too! :cat2:

3 Likes

It’s nice that everyone is worried, though sorry to have worried.

The new World of Warcraft expansion is out and so, as I mentioned in a post, I’ve got two weeks off work and have been focussing on that with my raiding guild, like the massive nerd I am!

Oh, no worries there, hehe - I’ve cleared massive review piles before. I DID forget to put things on vacation mode before I started… it’s a bit late now, haha, but I’ve just done so, otherwise, I’ll have another 200 reviews added to the pile in a few days.

Shhhh, yes

My advice; get caught up on reviews and stuff before it launches, then put vacation mode on. Do not, as I have done, just ignore the review pile, which is now rather high, haha. Well, 1000, but I only consider that rather high, not horribly high.

Thank you, regular service will resume! <3

I’m sorry I’ve been away, I promise I’ll be back <3

11 Likes

4 Likes

… looks like someone needs a soft push. So here it comes. The long a waited WoW sequel:

It’s time to write study log of a journey through pleasure and pain, hell and paradise. Are you ready to face death? Are you ready to face reality? Are you ready to write study log in the WK community? :caught_durtling:

7 Likes

you’re so kind!
i’ve been pushing as well…
looking forward to more study log entries since i use this one as an excuse not to do one myself!

4 Likes

now I feel caught :blush:

3 Likes

Update for 28th December 2020

γƒ―γƒ‹γ‚«γƒ‹β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ ζ–‡γƒ—γƒ­
Level 24 β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Ž1‏6 Level
Lessons 245 β€Žβ€β€ β€β€Ž β€Ž β€β€Ž β€Ž β€β€Žβ€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€ β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž N5 JLPT Path
Reviews 1295 ‏‏ β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€ β€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€Ž β€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Ž β€Ž β€β€β€Žβ€β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž57/111 Items

Hello, oh lovely followers of my Japanese learning journey ^-^

I’m very apologetic about my lack of updates over the past five weeks and I’m sorry to say that I did not do any studying or reviews over that time. The new World of Warcraft expansion came out and as I’m an office in a raiding guild, I had to make myself busy doing all the things I needed to do to get my character and the rest of the guild ready for the raid tier to start and then for progress through that. That’s probably a really hard thing to understand if you’re not an MMO player, but suffice to say that there’s 19 other people in our progression raiding team and I have a certain responsibility to them to do my best.

I’m now on Christmas break from work (campus is closed for two weeks) and and from raiding (we always take a winter break) and so I’m going to try and get caught up as possible. The only downside is that the nursery is also closed for a week and my wife has a horrible cold, so I’m looking after my son constantly of late. I’m doing my best do keep him occupied (if you follow the POLL thread, you’ll have seen my four baking attempts with him, haha) and this doesn’t leave all that much time for anything else.

I’m very thankful to everyone who carried on prodding me to get back on my reviews and I’m going to do my best to start doing that properly. I’ve got a massive stack built up, because I forgot to put vacation mode on, but it’s not the largest pile of reviews I’ve ever tackled, not of lessons, so I’ll be doing my best to get this down. If I can do a regular 200 or so a day from now on, I should be able to get back on lessons in a week or two and then resume my 7.5 day levelling up routine that I was doing so well at for weeks.

Just to visualise how things have been affected thus far by my lapse, my rise on WaniKani Timemachine has properly plateaued at 3507 items learned:

My very good run of 7ish day streaks, as shown on WKStats has ceased:

On the plus side, 39 days (so far) on level 24 is nowhere near the 210 days I spent on level 10 or the 66 days I spent on level 13. Overall, I’m not all that far off track and I was never going to hit the Luminaries target anyway. I should still be okay to hit the Olympians target, I hope, all being well. Particular thanks to @saibaneko who has been giving my constant encouragement to get back to things!

A 161 (+93)β€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€ G 519 (+44) β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€ M 757 (-3) β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Ž β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Ž E 1475 (-53) β€Žβ€Ž β€Žβ€β€ β€β€Žβ€β€β€Žβ€Žβ€β€ B 594 (+58)

10 Likes

And we’re back! Yeah!!!

my A count is the same. am hoping to guru it to under 100 between today and tomo and resume lessons. It’s incredibly difficult to get back to 0/0 after letting lessons pile up on vocab even just a bit.

ι ‘εΌ΅γ‚Œ!

4 Likes