JLPT 2023 thread (Dec results out now !)

July : 2nd of July 2023
December : 3rd of December 2023

Official website.
Sample tests.

Are you planning on taking the JLPT this year? Why or why not?
When, where, which level?
How are you preparing for it? Is there anything you’ve learned from previous attempts that made your change your approach for your next attempt?

Feel free to share study tips and advise or ask questions.

For me, I passed the N4 in 2022 July with the score 170/180 , And just took the n3 just yesterday!Edit : passed the n3 with 159/180

Are you planning on taking the JLPT in July 2023

• Yes
  • maybe
  • No
0 voters

What level are you planning on taking the JLPT in July 2023

• N5
  • N4
  • N3
  • N2
  • N1
0 voters

Are planning on taking the JLPT in December 2023

• Yes
  • maybe
  • No
0 voters

What level are you planning on taking the JLPT in December 2023

• N5
  • N4
  • N3
  • N2
  • N1
0 voters

Also I did steal someone’s old jlpt thread , why because their one was way better than the one I made!:joy:

To add on that I do realise I made this thread really early just due to me wanting to do the thread but not wanting anyone else to do it first :sweat_smile:

Anyway enjoy no one has to write on this just yet and I’ll still be on the other the jlpt chat until results come out from the December test.

Thank you everyone,
Imtryingjapanese

35 Likes

Psst, I edited the image for you

9 Likes

Thank you :joy:

2 Likes

Sorry, check again. I fixed an error

2 Likes

I’d like to take the N4 test next year. I thought about taking N5 this year but by the time I was looking all spots in both locations closest to me were already taken. Would be a shame if I missed it again.

My Teacher went through a few test questions with me recently and I got a lot wrong and was a bit discouraged but mostly surprised how hard they were. Well it turns out those were N4 questions not N5 like I thought. So with (half) a year more time to prepare I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to pass :smiley:

13 Likes

I’m sorry to disappoint both of you, but 2nd isn’t read mikka and 3rd isn’t read yokka :thinking:

10 Likes

:joy:I didn’t even notice I didn’t read it

3 Likes

I am planning to take the N3 in July, but if I cannot due to timing issues or fail I will go for December.

I did N5 in December 2020 and N4 in December 2021, both passed on first try.

3 Likes

Depending on my results from the N2 yesterday I may sign up for the N1 next December. I’m already mostly covered on kanji and vocabulary, so its mainly grammar and listening I need to work on. I’ll be doing the SKM N1 books throughout 2023 regardless of whether I decide to take the test that year. For reading I want to increase my pages/day to around 25 (sitting at ~14 over the past 4 months). For listening I want to establish a baseline of at least 30 minutes a day with audiobooks or similar material.

7 Likes

I plan on taking N4 in July and N3 in December. I did take N4 yesterday, I’m not sure I passed it though.

5 Likes

I’m absolutely determined to take the test this coming year since I foolishly missed the sign ups for last year. I’ll probably shoot for N4 in July.

Does anyone know when sign ups will open up for those? Will it be this month or do we need to wait for next year, perhaps in January? I want to make sure I am locked on to any updates on the subject to make sure I don’t miss it like last year. Any information on this out there yet, or the best place to follow for updates (aside from these threads of course)?

6 Likes

As the person who made the 2021 thread, it’s an annual tradition to completely rip off the previous threads at this point.

24 Likes

Im afraid all the locations have their own schedules and deadlines, so the only reliable way is to frequently check websites/socials of places you might want to take the JLPT at (or find friends from the same location so you can keep watch)
Most of those places do announce the start date a few weeks ahead of time, so its not like youll find out randomly on monday morning that it opens in the next 10 minutes.

Last year the registration for July exam in Vienna opened around Feb 20th for reference, im not aware of any place opening registrations much sooner than that (no need to stress about it this month or even in January most likely)

4 Likes

I took N5 a few years ago and scraped a pass. No study after that, sadly, but back at it once more now. Going to try for N5 again in December 2023 and see if I can improve on my score.

10 Likes

That’s good to know, I’ll relax a little bit in the meantime and keep an eye out. :smile:

1 Like

It depends on where you’re going to take it normally signups happen around the same time we get our results for the last exam . So it will be around the end of January to the start of February I think for July exam!

2 Likes

I took the N2 last December but although I passed I wasn’t happy with how little I did for it so I want to take it again, although I was way too busy this year.

Hopefully next year sometime I’ll get to take it again, since I won’t have the stress of worrying about failing it. I mostly take the JLPT to give me an excuse to study harder, so it just depends on how busy I am.

7 Likes

Never considered taking a JLPT because I don’t need them, it would kind of feel like “Internet points”, but seeing those threads actually really make me want to do it x)

7 Likes

Well I WAS going to take N1 in LA in July… but I found out that America apparently doesn’t do summer JLPT. Disappointing, but the extra few months will give me more time to study I suppose.

5 Likes

Id wager most people learning Japanese dont need them, and generally anything under N2 is useless anyway. I do it to “track my progress” in a way. There are many ways to test your progress, but this is the easiest way for me because i live so close to a testing center. All i have to do is show up and they do all the work for me.

I sympathize tho. I felt the same way about the N4 and went straight to N3 (r e g r e t).

5 Likes