JLPT 2022 thread(Results out now!)

According to the JLPT website you need 38/120 points in the language knowledge + reading section, 19/60 in the listening section, and 80/180 overall for a pass in N5. So it’s not like you just barely made it :smiley:

4 Likes

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Another way of seeing it is that you’re nowhere near the test date right now, and you’ve already got decent chances of passing. :slight_smile:

Now you just have to set yourself a goal and work towards it so you’ll have a score that you find more satisfying. :grin:

4 Likes

same. but I’m planning to take N2 in July itself so I’ve already started studying :sob:

3 Likes

All the besttt

Hello! I love your determination in studying Japanese. I was wondering if you knew that JLPT N1 is the highest level? Usually a beginner would start at N5…

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for your kind words and for pointing that out. Yes, I’m aware that N1 is the highest level, and that N5 is the lowest level. I know it doesn’t really look like it because of my WK level, but I’ve actually been studying Japanese for almost 3.5 years at this point. I actually joined the forums as part of a group that was studying a manga by trying to translate it, and I’ve never tried the SRS because I already spoke Chinese when I started Japanese, so most kanji are familiar to me. I don’t mean to sound pompous – and it’s true that I found Japanese grammar was very different from what I was used to when I started, and it took some time before I could parse long sentences – but I’m no longer a beginner, even though I think I still have much to learn.

It’s actually funny that you should ask about this right now, because my Japanese teacher at engineering school (I just started formal classes this year; I was self-studying for about 3 years before that) got us to try the sample questions on the JLPT website yesterday, and allowed us to pick whatever level we felt like attempting. I’m currently marking myself and listing the sections so I can go over what happened with her next week! I know it’s not at all realistic because she didn’t require us to stick to the time limits or to do it under exam conditions (though she did discourage us from using references to help us since the idea was to get an idea of our current level), but my current score (out of 40 sample questions, 34 being for reading and writing, and 6 for listening) suggests I should be able to pass the N1 comfortably if I keep working on my Japanese. I just need to increase my reading speed and work on my knowledge of N1 grammar and vocabulary if I want a good score, because I’ve heard that you need to answer really quickly for the N1.

Could I ask if you’re planning on taking the JLPT any time soon? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ahh thank you very much for that information. Well that is good to know! Cheers bud.

1 Like

have you checked lately?
i could not see anything confirming the test is on when i looked on the website.
it’s the closest for me as well.

I emailed them and they emailed back telling me that both exams this year have been cancelled :sob::sob:. They seemed kind of annoyed that I was asking lol…but also they haven’t updated their website since last January so :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

honestly?

right?!

i can see exactly zero reason to cancel it again. it’s ridiculous at this point. restrictions are pretty much gone and it’s not like they can’t work around them somehow. i know it’s silly but i was really counting on taking the tests to have a goal post and so am slacking off on grammar a lot. i first planned to do it in 2020… sigh…

also, purrease have a neko

in a box.

5 Likes

I will be taking the JLPT N4 this December. I think if I make really good progress this year I could attempt N3 instead. It seems like the signup period starts in August and goes to September, so I’ll have to decide then.

I don’t need to pass for work or anything, this is just for my own gauge on how I’m doing. So I don’t mind potentially overextending on N3 and failing.

I should be at least WaniKani Level 40 around then, and that includes my plan to slow down after level 30 to focus more on grammar.

I think my biggest concern is listening, so I’ll be spending a lot of time doing immersion in a few months to get a better feel for that.

Right now my resources are:

For Vocab

• WaniKani
  • Anki

For Grammar:

For Guidance/Inspiration

• Livakivi and his alternate channel BudgetLavikivi. He’s made serious progression learning Japanese and has many videos on it. He’s a very intelligent guy who makes fun, enjoyable content documenting his passions including to learning Japanese, game development/programming, and drawing. He also has a few videos on how he tackles projects, makes goals and other personal development things. I highly recommend checking him out.
  • Laoshu505000 sadly passed away last year. Moses McCormick was an incredible guy with a breadth of knowledge. He has a lot of videos where he goes around talking to people in a variety of languages. The surprise on people’s faces and how friendly and excited they become when speaking in their native tongue always puts a smile on my face. This was one of the primary reasons I started over a year ago and I go back to it when I need a bit of motivation.

I went a little overboard in that last section, but I think it’s important to have more resources outside of the ones purely dedicated to Japanese Vocab and Grammar. Good luck everyone

6 Likes

I mean, I might have been reading too much into it as a person who can’t send an email without a 'thanks for getting in touch etc etc" or I feel like I’m being rude, but they replied like 2 months after I emailed just saying “The University of Edinburgh will not be running the JLPT test in 2022.” and then when I replied to clarify if they meant both the July and December test they gave another one sentence response of “Both exams will not be held in Edinburgh”

So yeah…perhaps the person emailing just has a curt manner or was in a rush or whatever but not exactly the most helpful of responses! It is really irritating, I was also planning my studies around it and don’t really get the reasoning for cancelling both exams at this point :disappointed_relieved: I’ll probably try to do it in London if I can but I’m a bit worried it will fill up in an instant.

OMG the cutest :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: if the Edinburgh JLPT people had emailed me with this then maybe I would have forgotten to be annoyed at them lol.

2 Likes

do you know when they open registration? still cheaper than going somewhere in europe… i looked into it because i’m from france but it’s not even convenient to make a visit out of it for me.

london i suppose is doable. trains can be booked early for cheaper i guess. edinburgh was really convenient for me. bummed.

No idea :frowning: I just keep checking here and the their twitter here: https://twitter.com/soasjlpt Hopefully they still run it - fingers crossed!

1 Like

Registration for July usually starts around March or April :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I also sent out my application for N3 in Düsseldorf last week :smiley:
I sure hope I didn’t make any mistakes on the form :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve started learning japanese only recently and I’d like to reach the N4 level in a year and take the JLPT, but with university and work I’m not sure I’ll be able to. So since I don’t really need the JLPT for univeristy or work I’ll might not take it. I’ll still do my best to reach that level! I won’t be studying specificatly for the exam, but I’m using it as a reference of my progress and the things I should study.

3 Likes

3.5 years and you’re already working to take N1?! That’s so cool! I only started self-studying six months ago so I’m pretty new to both Japanese and the Wanikani community :sweat_smile:

Unfortunately, the JLPT isn’t available where I live in Canada, but I want to get to N4~ish level by the end of the year. I think that as long as I work hard it’s a reasonable goal, and I really need to up my comprehension level as I want to take a gap year in Japan!

2 Likes

Hahaha. Maybe I’m just lucky that this isn’t my first time learning a new language, and knowing multiple nuances of each kanji thanks to Chinese can be very helpful at times. I was actually hoping to progress a little faster because I’ve got a friend who’s studying in Japan, so being able to chat fluently in Japanese (instead of in English as usual) would be pretty fun. We’ve been doing it from time to time, but I’m still a little slow, and it would be nice to do it even more.

Too bad about the JLPT, but I mean, with the number of cancellations there have been around the world recently, I should just be thankful that they’re still being organised in France. Well, がんばって! I think that definitely sounds doable, at least as far as grammar and basic vocabulary goes. (I don’t know about kanji because I know that different people find them more or less difficult, but just keep at it with WK and feel free to ask questions on the forums if you get stuck. I don’t think there are a lot of them for the N4 though. :slight_smile:) Hopefully Japan’s borders will be open by the time your gap year arrives. (I’m hoping to go there for a second master’s degree in a field I’m really excited about. I just need to get into one of the universities I’m aiming for. ><) All the best! :grin:

2 Likes

FWIW I am in a similar boat. I just moved to japan a few months ago and figure I might as well finally take the JLPT so I can just get the damn paper for my resume. So it will be my first time taking the test and I’ll start with N1 obviously.

FWIW, I’ve also heard that you need to answer quickly for the N1, but for the reading I’ve noticed that the people I know who have read books and VNs before never say time is an issue. One guy I know who just read a bunch managed to pass the N1 after like a year and a half of studying and he still had like half an hour left on the reading after finishing all his questions. He also ended up getting a perfect score on that section, so I’d say if you have field experience I wouldn’t worry about time on that section too much probably.

4 Likes