JLPT 2022 thread(Results out now!)

Congrats! It’s a big deal for sure to take on learning Japanese and taking the test. Keep it up!

9 Likes

You got this. I failed my first test 10 years ago and made a commitment to try again but it’s taken a long time. You’ll get it next time for sure.

5 Likes

Congrats! Nicely done.

4 Likes

Love your avatar by the way! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thanks - always thought yours is pretty cool too

4 Likes

Thank you for the support!

1 Like

When I passed N5 in 2017, I had already about 5 years of Japanese studies under my belt. I did it alongside school and I had phases where I didn’t do anything to advance in Japanese, but signing up for N5 and eventually passing gave me a motivation boost because it showed me that it hadn’t been for nothing and that self study is indeed something worth doing.
So it is a big deal :smiley:

11 Likes

I was shocked by how many people showed up to take the test, not sure what I was expecting but it definitely wasn’t the massive crowd that showed up. Whatever level you take, you’ll definitely have no trouble finding the venue aha :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Thank you so much for your perspective! I have a bad tendency to downplay my accomplishments but I should recognize this more. I’m glad you’re sticking with your studies!!! :smile:

9 Likes

I don’t get how people say “Yeh N5 is easy just learn these kanji, these words and you are sorted!”

That is wrong. You have to be able to read paragraphs in Japanese and actually put some decent hours into listening content. It is an accomplishment for sure.

20 Likes

I didn’t sit any JLPT exams last year but seeing everyone’s results has been super inspirational!

11 Likes

Yay congrats!! We both passed. :partying_face:

Literally anyone else I have heard about in UCD did not pass so I’m feeling very relieved I managed to. :joy:

5 Likes

I also was one point short on the first try for both N3 and N2. It’s sooo frustrating. But with both of them, I took them again at the next opportunity (6 months later) and passed without much of a problem. You’re almost there!!

13 Likes

I agree with that other have said about focusing on overall improvement for a little bit rather than test metrics.

You said you’re reading every day, which is great! I also think it could be helpful to look at what you’re reading. If you’ve mainly been reading manga, it might be a good idea switch it up and try reading something in paragraph format. If you’ve mostly been reading short articles, might be good to switch it up and read something longer. If you’ve been reading mostly fiction, change it up and try some non-fiction (and vice versa)

I agree with what @Higurashi1983 said about the focus of prep books and the test being different. When I took the N2, I only sporadically attended an N2 grammar study group in prep. Going into the test I knew that I knew next to none of the structures in SKM and was ready to bomb the exam. But when I actually took the test, I was shocked that none of the structures I’d seen in SKM appeared on the test and instead it was a bunch of stuff I knew from reading/life. So I would recommend not focusing so much on test prep for a little bit and just work on reading for comprehension.

14 Likes

Ayeeee, I passed! So happy it was enough, sheesh, the listening was so hard. Given I practically winged it in terms of not preparing, just doing regular WaniKani, I couldn’t be happier I passed it. I started listening to JapanesePod101 immediately after the exam because I realized how bad I am. I hope I will be good enough to do N4 in a year, but we’ll see.

It’s staggering how different ‘knowing kanji from WK’ is from ‘passing a test’. Unsurprisingly but still interestingly, language is so much more than knowing the words alone.

39 Likes

Same! It’s good practice for grammar, and for more casual/spoken language, and while it might have a lot of genre-specific vocabulary, that A) makes sense for me because if I want to read/watch it I need to learn that vocab and B) it also has a lot of everyday vocab, too. It’s been a lot of fun!

(Gin is…much easier to understand on paper than he is in the movies. The movies give him a voice that I really struggle with :sweat: )

1 Like

Missed by a few points :frowning:

First time taking any level at all and it was about what I expected. Going in I thought N1 would be ok, but my reading is severly lacking. Guess I’ll be doing a lot more of that before the next round in July. :slight_smile:

31 Likes

Never Give Up

I first took (and failed) the JLPT N5 around 2008. For a long time, I took a hiatus from Japanese and packed away all my textbooks and other study materials.

Tonight, I logged in to find out that I passed the JLPT N5. It took 14 years, but I finally passed this test. :smile_cat:

So yeah, never give up, even if it takes a decade+ to come back to it. Just keep at it no matter what. I just learned the proverb 「継続は力なり」 from Mochi-先生 and it’s absolutely true.

And well… N4 is only ~10 months away. Time to get back to my WaniKani reviews! :smile:

34 Likes

I missed the N3 by a few points. I am weak on grammar and I read too slow… and also have a lot of difficulty with listening. So there’s a lot of work to do this year… but it seems like I’ve got time before next time. (hysterical laughter ensues)

34 Likes

Awesome to hear, well done!! Nothing like thar feeling of relief when you manage something difficult. Hope you manage to celebrate a wee bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes