JLPT 2022 thread(Results out now!)

I’m hoping to take the summer N3 in Germany next year… if it takes place, that is.

4 Likes

Gonna push next year and aim for N2 in June. If that fails (which it probably will) then N2 in December. No other options :stuck_out_tongue: .

5 Likes

I was thinking of doing N2 in winter 2022 but honestly, going from N3 to N2 in half a year seems a little much.

3 Likes

My native language is german, but I am rather fluent in english and got a certificate in latin.
I also learned chinese for around a year, but I forgot absolutely everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am aiming to make July 2022 the last time I have to take the N1 test except for personal challenge. It felt like I was pretty close in December but I need to learn more uncommon words to be certain.

3 Likes

JLPT is only offered in December where I am. I plan to take the N5, though if my studying goes well I may aim for N4.

My biggest concern about the test is the time limit because while I feel good about my comprehension, I read soooooo slowly.

4 Likes

Practice is the best remedy for that; I found graded readers a great place to start, and then I was able to progress to the Absolute Beginners’ Book Club.

Taking practice tests is also helpful by familiarising yourself with the format and time/volume of material ratios.

5 Likes

I’d like to take the JLPT N4 exam in December 2022. Theoretically, I currently know everything I need to know to pass the N5 exam, although I’m not positive I would pass the listening comprehension portion of the exam. If I continue taking classes with my local Japanese language school, I will finish Genki II in September, which will give me two or three months to review everything, plus learn the couple of grammar points tested on the N4 exam that are not covered in Genki. And I have the next year to work on my listening comprehension.

6 Likes

After what feels like a couple of years of false dawns, it’s good to see that SOAS in London appear to be starting back up with July sittings of the JLPT! Hopefully the bookings commence soon so everyone can get themselves locked in. :grin:

3 Likes

I took N1 in December and hope I passed it but I’m really unsure so I might take it … again ^^
I’m taking it to improve my resume since I want to work in Japan after finishing my degree. I don’t actually need it (I already have N2) but I guess it can’t hurt to have it
I’m using Sou Matome and Shin Kanzen Master to study specifically for the test, and other than that I’m reading the news to read various topics and improve my reading speed :cherry_blossom:

Good luck with N3!!!

4 Likes

I hope to take N3 by the end of the year (not sure if it’s only here in Italy, but they only held the exam in december).

I went back to studying Japanese in february 2020 (little did I know about the amount of extra time I would have had few months later). When I was in high school I tought myself hiragana, katakana and really basic kanjis, grammar and words (think about the first four, five chapters of Genki I).

In these two years I went into the difficulties I guess everyone gets through, mainly searching for the “optimal” resource to study with. I tried Memrise, Duolingo, online resources, Pimsleur so on so forth.

I really liked Lingodeer when i got it, clean, easy and complete. But still, I didn’t get a good overall retention of what I’ve learned. I literally consumed Genki I and II, started Tobira and went through LOADS of Anki decks in hope to enforce my vocabulary, which I felt being my main problem. All I obtained was getting burned by the sheer amount of reviews, which led me to pause studying last summer.

When I got back in october, I felt like I forgot almost everything I’ve learnt. So here I am, early 2022, going through Genki II again and this time, using Wanikani for the vocabulary and kanjis. I have to say, really satisfied for now.

Good luck everyone for the exam!

5 Likes

This is a really good point… I really only want to do them for my own satisfaction (I’m already employed in Japan and don’t need the JLPT for my job). It might be worth it to just shoot for the N4 to see what it’s like. I have until July so it could be doable. I’m just a wuss XD

4 Likes

I emailed the organisers for the Edinburgh JLPT a while back to check if it was starting back up again and they have finally replied to say that no JLPT will be held there in 2022 (so both July and December cancelled) :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob: sharing here in case it’s useful for anyone else (given the website I think still suggests it would be back this July)

6 Likes

Thanks for checking! I had started to develop mild fantasies of maybe going to Edinburgh in summer for JLPT (and holidays) so thanks for getting me out of that rabbithole again :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I guess I will be the one going on a JLPT holiday this year hahaha. I was going to try for N3 in July and N2 December given that Edinburgh is only 45 mins on the train for me but may have to just pick one now! Now to see where actually holds it :eyes:

3 Likes

If SOAS hold the test in London this summer then I’ll probably put in for N3. I took N5 in December 2019 and then haven’t been able to sit any tests since. (I remember applying for the July 2020 N4 during my first week of working from home…which seems bizarre now but seemed reasonable at the time). As a result I’ve not looked at any of the prep books but I’ll be disappointed if I’m not at N3 level by now!

7 Likes

I’m debating whether to take N2 or skip straight to N1 this year…N2 has been my plan the last few years even if it got derailed by the pandemic. If I keep up my studying and actually level WK as anticipated (after a level reset a couple months back), then maybe N1 is achievable. Either way, lots of work to be done before then! I do have the 新完全マスター N2 books in addition to WK, so I’ll work through those and see how much time I have left to prepare.

4 Likes

I’ve heard of people going from nothing to N1 in <2 years so why not :smiley: . Also depends whether it’s a solid N3 and moving onto N2 or just scraping it at N3 and aiming for N2.

I kind of think N2 might be too high for me still, since Tobira covers only most of N3 and barely scratches N2. Also, the test requires listening comprehension, reading at a reasonable speed, etc. On the other hand, I don’t want to settle on N3, cause that feels kinda low at this point :sweat_smile: .

2 Likes

I’m going to try the N2 December this year. I did the N3 last year mostly to check how the exam feels, either I passed it or not, I’m not sure, I just know that I’m going to try N2 this year and already started studying for it :books: :sparkles: (but for now, I’m mostly reviewing N3 stuff with Tobira and getting some N2 vocabulary)

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. Haven’t done much listening practice compared to reading, and reading is still slowish. Would probably be better suited for taking N3 in the summer, but N2 level is the aim for this year.

5 Likes