JLPT 2022 thread

My first ever JLPT was the N3! I think you can do it! Focus on your weaknesses and you will pass with flying colors.

(deleted previous post to quote reply instead)

2 Likes

I tried Bunpro and for me that was exactly the epitome of “Different strokes for different folks”. I can’t understand how anyone can learn grammar from that thing, but apparently many do.

I have textbooks to use, and I’m just looking for another suitable grammar resource. Kanshudo and gamified apps seem to work decently well, and there’s an online verb conjugator I like to play with. Videos explaining grammar don’t seem to do it for me either, although Japanese Ammo and Cure Dolly are better than most others I’ve seen.

For low level grammar, I have been finding Human Japanese and KawaiiNihongo both effective and entertaining. HJ has short, concise explanations with examples and then a quiz. KawaiiNihongo similarly has short explanations with examples, and then a quiz with multiple choice selections, and word-by-word sentence building. I do wish there were better gamified options for more advanced grammar. It seems like the goal of most apps is to drop you off at pre-intermediate and then wish you a good life.

3 Likes

I use bunpo as a supplement to reinforce grammar I learn from textbooks. I also highly recommend A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar.

4 Likes

I have the first two (I haven’t reached a level to need the advanced one yet). I actually forgot that there is a lesser-known workbook available for the Basic dictionary as well. I got it a month ago but haven’t had an opportunity to crack it open yet.

Oh wow, then all I can do is pray for both of us :sweat_smile: . I watched a video of Yuta and apparently even he was not sure of some of the answers in the reading section. I have a feeling the listening section might also have a couple of curve balls.

Yes, because anything above would have very high diminishing returns. That’s why a lot of videos on YouTube are also for beginners. After that you gotta what you gotta do.

Out of curiosity, are you aiming for the July or the December session?

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that in the States only the December option is available? At least, I remember specifically looking that up and seeing that on the website. If there is a July session in the US, I wouldn’t be ready for it.

1 Like

Ah, apologies, I wasn’t aware. In Europe a lot of countries offer JLPT exam sessions also in July so I assumed in the US it’s similar.

To be fair, I’m not sure whether I’m ready for July myself, but since I already signed up, might as well take it… What I think will happen is that I will barely pass it so I will have a crappy score, but not enough motivation to retake the same level in December :joy: .

3 Likes

Were you going for N2 or N1? I don’t remember since this is a long thread ^^

Oh it was N2 wasn’t it? I think you were buying N2 books at least.

1 Like

N2. I was a little above N3 at the beginning of the year after finishing Tobira and decided to go for N2, because I felt that’s the last “non-crazy” level and the first one that’s worth showing on a resume.

Tobira really drops you off at a weird point with the amount of extra study needed to reach the next level. I’m curious to see how you fare - you can be my litmus test for next year :slight_smile:

My listening and grammar are the two worst areas. What I’m doing for listening is bouncing between 1.25x and 1.5x speed for the material I listen to, and then listen to it again at normal speed, which starts to sound like slow motion. The idea is that aside from improving listening, when I sit the actual exam, it will seem like I have more time to write notes / will be easier to write notes.

1 Like

I didnt get how big of a deal lack of time with higher exams would be, N5 and N4 mock tests seemed pretty fair (when i was about that level) with how much time you have for reading, but N3 is something else, i really might need to prioritise those where you get more questions for one text (and of course practice more). I did pass the mock test somewhat barely which was nice surprise (108/180), but with just 23/60 on reading its really close to the minimum per section.
Good to at least know what to focus on more for the next month and a half

2 Likes

Me before signing up, what a great idea. After signing up, oh god why did I do this. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I’m the same, I’m writing the N3 in July and I’m starting to wonder why I decided to do it. :smiley: (There is so much N3 grammar stuff!!)

3 Likes

I managed to pick up the 2021 ベストエッセイ from my nearest アカデミア 本屋. It was the only one they had; although, there were some other interesting looking books in that section. Just need to fit it into my reading schedule :smile_cat:

It will soon be time to start doing some mock/example papers :worried:

4 Likes

Awesome! Yes sorry I realized I said 2020 was the latest one but 2021 is. I think the other ones are available online!

2 Likes

I received in the post yesterday an official invitation to take a practice test. It was surprising because I didn’t realize this was a thing.

It’s a lottery but if i get picked I will at least get the chance to see how screwed I am for N3 and a cool 2000 yen :money_with_wings:

4 Likes

I’ve been slacking off these past two months, just grinding on bunpro (149/210 grammar points cleared for N2) and watching anime and listening to podcasts on and off. I promise to do exam-specific preparation next month, I promise :grimacing: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I find it really only works if you limit the scope of what you’re trying to learn but doesn’t work if you’re trying to learn a language worth of grammar. The WK system just doesn’t lend itself to grammar. I like Renshuu’s grammar reviews though because they are testing your knowledge of the structure, not just what should go in the blank space.

1 Like

Yeah this is what I promise myself as well. Next weekend I’ll open the prep book for sure!

4 Likes