JLPT 2022 thread

hey, let’s add each other on leaderboards, we are not so far apart so we can compete a bit

3 Likes

Ok.
How do we do that? (I’m veeerry new here)

1 Like

The Swedish JLPT tests seem to have been completely canceled this year. Usually it’s held in July. Nevertheless I’ll study for JLPT N3 until then, maybe I can find some good mock exam to test my progress if I can’t take the real test. I’m not really hurting for a JLPT N3 certificate but I like using JLPT to check on my progress.

I’ve taken the mock JLPT tests at unagibun before which I felt were quite good. They’re only available for JLPT N5 and JLPT N4 though.
https://www.unagibun.com/jlpt-online/

7 Likes

Can someone reply to this when Soas university updates it’s jlpt page because I’m getting sick of looking at it every day🥲

2 Likes

Thanks for the link, I’ll use that to see where I am now (how far from N5).

2 Likes

It’s okay! Just found out about this too.
So 1.You need to install tampermonkey extension to your browser of choice(if I understood correctly, it is the thing that manages your scripts and it’s using them on wanikani)
2. To your tampermonkey install Installing Wanikani Open Framework wanikani open framework. (My guess is that it’s some type of api)
3. To your tampermonkey install [Userscript] Wanikani Leaderboard. It’s the main script of leaderboard.

After all that, on your dashboard you’ll notice new window, it says “Leaderboard”, then you can add me there by pressing “+” and writing down my username “ddata3”

Hope it’s not too confusing, I’m new here too.

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll give that a try tomorrow on my laptop
(iPad has just done “computer says no” on installing tampermonkey),
and then we shall climb the leaderboards together!
(“To infinity, and beyond’)

1 Like

I’m going to try and take the N3 in July 2022! I have never taken any JLPT before but now that I can apply for a specific grant to cover the costs of it if I pass, I’m encouraged to try! I’m going straight for N3 as I feel like I can pass it without too much extensive studying besides refreshing my kanji and from now until July is a long way to rise up the wanikani levels before I get there. I studied for 5 years in college so I feel like getting N3 under my belt will light a fire to advance to N2! After N2 eventually I think I could die happy.
I’m using wanikani, Tobira, bunpro, and an N3 summary book I found to test off of at a maruzen. I’m at work now so I don’t remember it’s name but I can post later.

Let’s 頑張ろう!

6 Likes

Well lol i supposedly “passed” this mock N5 test:JLPT Online — Unagibun (thankyou @saygram btw) But 98 / 180 definitely doesn’t feel like a pass!! :face_vomiting:

Does anyone know what the lowest score is or is that hard to calculate because you have to pass both sections? For reference i got 65 / 120 for vocab / grammar and 33 / 60 for listening…so bad jeez.

7 Likes

Waiting on results for my N2 test last month. If I passed that then I’ll be taking the N1 in July (and probably again in December). If I didn’t pass then I’ll take N2 again in July and N1 in December.

2 Likes

According to the JLPT website you need 38/120 points in the language knowledge + reading section, 19/60 in the listening section, and 80/180 overall for a pass in N5. So it’s not like you just barely made it :smiley:

4 Likes

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Another way of seeing it is that you’re nowhere near the test date right now, and you’ve already got decent chances of passing. :slight_smile:

Now you just have to set yourself a goal and work towards it so you’ll have a score that you find more satisfying. :grin:

4 Likes

same. but I’m planning to take N2 in July itself so I’ve already started studying :sob:

3 Likes

All the besttt

Hello! I love your determination in studying Japanese. I was wondering if you knew that JLPT N1 is the highest level? Usually a beginner would start at N5…

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for your kind words and for pointing that out. Yes, I’m aware that N1 is the highest level, and that N5 is the lowest level. I know it doesn’t really look like it because of my WK level, but I’ve actually been studying Japanese for almost 3.5 years at this point. I actually joined the forums as part of a group that was studying a manga by trying to translate it, and I’ve never tried the SRS because I already spoke Chinese when I started Japanese, so most kanji are familiar to me. I don’t mean to sound pompous – and it’s true that I found Japanese grammar was very different from what I was used to when I started, and it took some time before I could parse long sentences – but I’m no longer a beginner, even though I think I still have much to learn.

It’s actually funny that you should ask about this right now, because my Japanese teacher at engineering school (I just started formal classes this year; I was self-studying for about 3 years before that) got us to try the sample questions on the JLPT website yesterday, and allowed us to pick whatever level we felt like attempting. I’m currently marking myself and listing the sections so I can go over what happened with her next week! I know it’s not at all realistic because she didn’t require us to stick to the time limits or to do it under exam conditions (though she did discourage us from using references to help us since the idea was to get an idea of our current level), but my current score (out of 40 sample questions, 34 being for reading and writing, and 6 for listening) suggests I should be able to pass the N1 comfortably if I keep working on my Japanese. I just need to increase my reading speed and work on my knowledge of N1 grammar and vocabulary if I want a good score, because I’ve heard that you need to answer really quickly for the N1.

Could I ask if you’re planning on taking the JLPT any time soon? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ahh thank you very much for that information. Well that is good to know! Cheers bud.

1 Like

have you checked lately?
i could not see anything confirming the test is on when i looked on the website.
it’s the closest for me as well.

I emailed them and they emailed back telling me that both exams this year have been cancelled :sob::sob:. They seemed kind of annoyed that I was asking lol…but also they haven’t updated their website since last January so :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

honestly?

right?!

i can see exactly zero reason to cancel it again. it’s ridiculous at this point. restrictions are pretty much gone and it’s not like they can’t work around them somehow. i know it’s silly but i was really counting on taking the tests to have a goal post and so am slacking off on grammar a lot. i first planned to do it in 2020… sigh…

also, purrease have a neko

in a box.

5 Likes