JLPT 2022 thread(Results out now!)

Are you from Ontario? When I first checked out the Toronto site and theirs was cancelled, I was looking at alternatives in the US. I think I was considering Chicago or Washington DC. But whatever gets the job done, right? Back in 2017, flew 2 times from Fort McMurray to Calgary (only an hour flight, but probably $500 in total) to get my Visa to teach in Japan (I was in Osaka from 2017-2019).

1 Like

@NicoleIsEnough Okay! One last question then, I tend to get very dizzy and lightheaded while writing tests. At uni, they have a room with a pullout couch for me to write in (because otherwise I just collapse on the floor either mid-way through or at the end). I’m fine with lying on the floor maybe out in the hallway or something to try to balance out again during breaks. I just don’t want to get treated with suspicion for it by test staff if I do. It’s a hard thing to try to explain, especially when the room is spinning :confused: Do you think this would be a potential issue?

@mav79 Yeah, Ontario here. Sadly Edmonton is the only site in North America with a July test option :expressionless:

1 Like

Sure, fire away if you have any more questions later :blush:

Two things come to my mind. First, you might gather quite the crowd of worried people if you just lie down in the middle of the floor, I guess :sweat_smile: so I would definitely try to tell as many people as possible beforehand. Usually you and everybody else get into the test room and then they just wait until it’s time to run the test. During that period you could go to the front desk and explain things to them and also to the other students, so they know everything is okay if you lie down in the room during the test or in the break. I can’t really imagine anybody to take issue with that, but you might want to avoid needing to give lengthy explanations when the room starts spinning, I guess…
Second, if your mom is with you on-site, she can accompany you until the door of the exam room (at least nobody would have batted an eye in any of the test sites I was in, and I also accompanied somebody once). I don’t think she can come into the room with you, but she could be outside and assist you during the breaks if needed. And I guess she might also be allowed into the test room during the breaks, just not during the test.

2 Likes

Oh dang, and with all the problems flying Domestic right now that’s gonna be a fun trip to make (my brother and his wife just came back from a short vacation in Calgary… their flight home was 2 hours delayed and it took them an hour to deboard the plane and get out of the airport after landing, even without luggage). Anyway, whatever you decide to do, がんばって!

2 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough Thanks! I usually don’t need assistance until the end and I have a travel-sized mobility aid i can easily store under a desk so it should be okay getting around. This is exactly why I had requested a private room though so that people wouldn’t get concerned :confused: I just checked through my inbox thoroughly and still no response from the organization even though they said everyone should get a decision back by the beginning of June. I’ll have to contact them again. I gave them a good deal of information (diagnoses, doctor’s letter, letter from my uni) so I’ll honestly be really frustrated if they deny my request but…well, sadly Japan isn’t known for being the most accommodating if you don’t fit into the clear pre-designated boxes.

@mav79 Yeeeep, airports are one of my most hated places in the world on a good day and I was reading about all the problems at Pearson this morning. Thankfully my flight hasn’t been cancelled and I planned to fly out a day ahead so I would have a full day to get settled before the test. Flying out on July 1st might be even more nuts than usual though :persevere:

3 Likes

Don’t want to break the flow of the discussion, so I opened a separate topic devoted to mispronunciations in JLPT listening passages: Apparent mispronunciations in JLPT listening samples

1 Like

Yeah, you can move freely and eat/take meds on your break. Just make sure you turn any devices back off.

I’ve sat the JLPT with special assistance, it basically means you get some more time between tests and you get extra time to hear the questions on the listening portion (but not the possible options if I remember correctly).

In London people with special assistance sit the exam in another room with people of similar level. I had only one other person in mine and they’re likely to be understanding of any need you’d have to lie down I know I would completely get this. Speak to the person observing your test about your needs and I sure hope they will be understanding. As long as you explain this is so you can manage your condition it should be OK I sure hope so. There was a plenty of free space in my room.

If anything my test took longer than everyone else’s because of the extra break times so ask for an extra outline of your timetable, I left after everyone else doing my level.

Sounds like you’ve done all the paperwork and provided proof for everything so I really hope they get back to you soon.

5 Likes

Good news, I got my accommodations! I’ll be able to get a separate room, some extra time, and can bring in food, water, mobility aids, whew. It’s such a relief :sweat_smile: I’m a little confused because the room is in a completely different building but I’ll take it.

22 Likes

That’s great to hear! :tada: Good luck with your studies and your test :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

My voucher arrived today. :tada:
Is there anyone else here who’s taking it in Tokyo? Last time I was in Shibuya, now in Kamata.

4 Likes

For some reason I’ve grown exited for the exam!I put in all my effort and I’m still doing what I can! I don’t struggle (hardly) on the mock tests anymore!First time I did one I couldn’t answer anything !And I felt so bad because I lied to my teacher saying it was easy when I just looked up all the answers :joy:!Everyone good luck!18 days until the exam! May not pass but at least I tried!

-Imtryingjapanese

3 Likes

Got mine yesterday too! Kamata is interesting! This time I will be in Nihonbashi, I didn’t even know there was a test center there.

1 Like

Im taking the N1 the next July :D, I passed the N2 on my first try it was also my first time taking the test the last december, I got around 150 points so I decided to try taking the N1.

Im using the 新完全マスターfor reading only, wanikani and Jesus.

5 Likes

I’m told Jesus is the answer unless it’s multiple choice, then it’s usually C.

6 Likes

Planning to register for the December 2022 JLPT N3 exam once the slots open.

4 Likes

taking the n3 in sapporo in a couple weeks! i tried a practice test and passed it, but i’ll still be studying right up until the exam :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Getting super stressed about N3 now!
I have tried the practice tests, but it’s like by brain completely goes blank when confronted with this wall of text.

1 Like

I’m starting to get nervous!
I thought I was doing relatively well, doing alright on mock exams etc …
Then I started doing the N3 日本語パワードリル for 文字・言葉 and I’m just getting like around 12/20 points (consistently) when the goal is to reach 17! :frowning:

Is someone else using this and knows if this might be especially difficult? I have to admit words might not be my strongest subject tho. :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m also using パワードリル to study vocabulary for N2 and I’m usually getting around the same scores as you. I think with these books it’s difficult to feel like you’re making progress because unlike the grammar drills, every set of questions uses different words, so it’s not like the material from one section is going to be much help for the next one :sweat_smile: But I think they are a great resource for picking up vocabulary that is likely to show up on the JLPT, so I usually add all unknown words to my Anki deck after finishing a set of questions.

2 Likes

Try to break it down pieces at a time and don’t move on until you understand the sentence you just read.

1 Like