JLPT 2019!

I have uni exams until June 5. So I’ll start studying after that. :smiley: I hope 1 month will be enough.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea. Other than WK and reading a lot, I’ve let loose.

Good luck with those exams!

4 Likes

I’m taking the N3 in December. I haven’t taken a JLPT since they changed the system, and that was the old Level 3. Yes, I’ve been at this for a while and it’s slow going. Kudos to everyone making such good progress. Good luck!

3 Likes

Over here they are only available in December so i’ll go for n2! i did some practice tests and i already seem to be getting 70%ish, i would go for n1 but i haven’t taken a jlpt test before and i need to pass so i can do exchange in japanese.

3 Likes

I’m going for the N5 in December. After studying off-and-on (but mostly off) for the better part of three years, I finally set a concrete goal to throw myself at. I’m preparing using WK of course, plus reviewing grammar on BunPro and working through my copy of 80/20 Japanese.

I’ve done a short practice test and got about 80%, but the listening section is gonna kill me without lots more practice. Taking the real thing is always different than a practice test, so I guess we’ll see if my study strategy paid off

5 Likes

Definitely not!

I currently have 4 to 5 italki lessons scheduled per week just so that my teacher can force me to advance with grammar because I still have a long way to go until July.

Otherwise I would probably just lie on my couch in the evening, feel sorry for myself because there would theoretically be so much to study :smiley: and maybe read something in Japanese every once in a while.

2 Likes

Hahaha, That’s how I’m feeling. Plus I’m busy with work and everyday life stuff.

Living in Japan at least makes the listening stuff easy. I’m like “I got this!” until I look at grammar stuff and then it’s like I’m in an overdramatic scene from Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei XD

1 Like

Anything in particular?

Oh yeah there is also the N3 thread somewhere around here…

1 Like

Not really? I think it’s mostly just be being ridiculous. I use the パターン別徹底ドリル books for general drills and I know it’s harder than the actual test from when I used it in the past. So I’m probably panicking unnecessarily. XD

But I’ll look for that N3 thread for questions in the future. :+1:

I just really wanna pass because I get a one time bonus from my company if I do. Then it’s time to prep for the N2 e_e

oh are you me?? listening isn’t really a problem but grammar, especially anything more formal than “very casual”… ugh

1 Like

What is everyone doing to study for the tests? I feel like I’m all over the place. I was thinking of buying one of the JLPT workbooks to practice and get a feel of what the real test is like.

currently using

Kanji: Wanikani

Grammar: bunpro/ Genki

Vocabulary: Genki, Wanikani, iknow core 1000

Listening: (need suggestions)

Reading: (need suggestions) please

Procrastinating is always the easiest when there are important things to do

4 Likes

Seriously this.

I re-did the Kanji/Vocab/Grammar part of the practice test that took in September thinking that I’d do a hundred times better. The results were dispiriting. For the kanji-recognition I got exactly the same questions wrong. I still did better overall though. Especially with the grammar part, but yeah.

It really planted in my brain that I still have a ways to go. I’m planning on taking the newest practice test they added recently, in early June just to really cement what I need to work on going forward.

6 Likes

That really depends on what JLPT you’re taking. But native materials are always a good choice.

2 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree for listening. People shy away from it because they don’t understand, but it really is good practice.

3 Likes

Same with the casual~ semi-polite. I also learned the southern area Gifu-ben, so sometimes dialect slang gets in the way. orz

1 Like

Kanji: Wanikani, iKanji, and the Sou-matome N3 kanji book.

Grammar: Sou-matome N3 grammar book and the internet

Vocab: Wanikani, StickyStudy

Listening: daily life. Also have the CD from my drill book I’ll work with soon.

Reading: manga and novels

All around: パターン別徹底ドリル for the N3. It has a little bit of everything

4 Likes

So after googling furiously to no avail, I decided to check this thread and sure enough I think I found my answer, but I just want to double check with those of you who have taken the test in Japan before.

If I understood the previous comments about location, we find out the specific test location within our submitted region once our voucher comes in, is that correct?
(I’m registered for the N2 in Tohoku, btw. Starting to get extra nervous, but also very excited!)

2 Likes

Yes, your test location will be written on the voucher you will receive by mail in June.

1 Like

I’m thinking about taking the N3 test in December this year but it’s not available in my country.
I’d have to travel to Dusseldorf for it.
If I can arrange transportation, I’ll probably do it. It will be a nice practice for the N2 I’m taking next year in July.
I’m very bad at taking tests, because I always get too nervous. N3 should be doable enough to gain confidence.

3 Likes