JLPT 2019!

If you could share your N3 deck with me somehow, that would be great :slight_smile: I would like to take a look at that one and compare it to my StickyStudy deck. Thank you!

Is the Jlpt worth taking, or could I just take practice tests and see how I score in comparison to know my level?

If dont need it for anything then no?

Here is my N3 vocab deck (17mb)

And my modified version of the core deck, only N5-N3 cards. Does not include media files because I’m assuming everyone has these in their Anki folder somewhere already:

NOTE: I didn’t clean these up or anything. So they will probably end up in weird subdecks and so on. Thinking about it… I could also export them as csv files and linke those here. I’m on it. But that will only be useful then for comparison purposes and miss the audio files.

Core N3 as text export

N3 vocab as text export

Off Topic

(Did you btw happen to receive my email? If not then my Google skills failed me and some other Nicole Rauch is wondering who is sending her emails about the JLPT :woman_shrugging: )

5 Likes

Thank you very much! The deck looks very nice, especially with the sound. I will prob modify it further (e.g. add grammatical info) but it looks like a solid base. And: Your N3 deck contains 1797 cards whereas my StickyStudy-exported deck only contains 1726 cards :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

If it’s only about testing where you stand, taking the J-Cat every 6 months is probably the most convenient.
Takes between 45-90 minutes.

I feel like most people use the lower JLPT’s as study goals though

4 Likes

You can also take the test in Belgium. This year it will be host by University of Gent in December.

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ll keep it in mind in case I fail N3 this year. (No way can I be ready for N2 by December…)

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think the JCAT won’t be around forever. They are replacing it (in 2020, I believe) with a new version and that version is, afaik, not going to be available in the same public way anymore.

Isn’t the paid version for the group registration? Like, if you want to sign up a school of Japanese students all together, or something like that. I thought I remembered that from last time I took it and saw the notice.

Accidentally voted for Summer and Winter as yes, but I’m only taking it in December. Planning on taking the N1.

I’m going to be doing a lot of flash cards, and Anki. Also planning on using Bunpro and any other resource I can get my hands.

1 Like

Planning on probably taking the N4 in December, and N5 is my plan B if I find myself really struggling for whatever reason. I’m mainly using the JLPT as motivation to keep studying on a regular basis; I like having something like a proficiency test to shoot for, it’s much more tangible than just ‘fluency’. Good luck to everyone taking it this year! :smile:

4 Likes

The way I understood it is: that the paid group registration will be replaced with a new tablet based version. The free online version will not be replaced.

The root cause is that the JCAT is using Flash and since there will be no more Flash support, they have to do something about it soon.

It is a shame. Even though the test was not perfect, it was another nice additional way of measuring progress.

500 JLPT Practice Questions Book

For anyone who prefers a nice 練習(れんしゅう) book for there studies, the book I linked above is hella good!

They have a book for every JLPT level (minus N4 & N5 which is combine into one book).

I passed my N3 test a while back, so I’m now focusing on N2 studies.

皆さん頑張ろうーな!

7 Likes

I’m like baby brand new at all of this. I have a good grasp on hiragana (and a pretty good grip on katakana, though it could honestly use some work) and am working through the beginning stages of WaniKani. I understand the general grammar structure, but there’s still a lot I don’t know I don’t know yet. I think at best I could maybe take a stab at it this December, but I don’t expect I would place very well on it. Also, I don’t know much about what the test does. Is it an official N level ranking essentially?

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, I just spontaneously ordered this one. Because if there is one more thing I need in my life, it is one more book that I’m not opening and not studying from :smiley:

I also have the vocab and grammar ones from Sou Matome and I like them so far. And maybe some extra practice will help masking that fact that I will be underprepared for the N3…

Also, in case anyone is not aware, there are now two complete sets of sample sets on the official page: one from 2012, one from 2018. I have not checked yet how different they are.

Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Official Practice Workbook | JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

7 Likes

The jlpt tests kanji knowledge, grammar proficiency, reading, and listening skills at various levels. Many Japanese companies (in Japan) require overseas applicants to hold a certain level of proficiency (usually N2 or N1, though I am hearing rumours that they will ease up on these standards) to work in their companies.

A lot of people who take the lower level tests, take them to gauge their own proficiency.

3 Likes

I’m planning on taking JLPT in December (no test in July in my country), just to have, you know, an excuse to get some work done!
I’m wondering, are levels N5+N4 that basic? I was planning on taking the N4…

1 Like

Well, it depends on what you define as “basic”. I passed N4 and I can go to a restaurant that doesn’t have an English menu and ask for explanations and I can struggle through a conversation somehow but I’m as far from fluent as one can be…

But it is still better than nothing and a nice way of measuring progress. I think if you study consistently and are not at the absolute starting point at the moment, N4 should be a good goal for December.

Here are detailed sample tests to give you a better idea

And here is a quick overview, just 15 questions for each level

And here is a summary of what you should be able to do at which level.

1 Like