JLPT 2019!

Lost my voucher with results passcode and can’t look up my N1 results. Forgot I even needed it. I hate myself.

2 Likes

That’s a good call. I’ll probably pull back on WK time and try this book club out.

Thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You’ll still have your confirmation email though, right? All the info you need should be in there.

1 Like

They don’t send any confirmation emails. Didn’t send last time I passed JLPT anyway.

1 Like

I’m so proud of everyone here that passed! Congratulations, and good luck with your continued studies! :partying_face: :heart:

2 Likes

Ah, no sorry I meant when you paid to register.

You should have an email with the subject line “Your Japanese Test Final Confirmation” with your registration number and another with the subject “Japanese Language Proficiency Test Registration” with your password in plain text ( which is shocking, but anyway).

5 Likes

I knew beforehand reading would be my biggest weakness so I focused only on improving my reading speed & comprehension. I’ve read a lot of books since the last time I took the JLPT (and started a lot more that I never finished :sweat:), but I feel like that helped the most with me improving my score. I also did binge watch the Nihongo no Mori JLPT videos too during the final weeks before the exam (so at least I’d have some fresh grammar studies in my short term memory)

4 Likes

Each test site does it their own way

5 Likes

I’m so impressed with everyone’s listening scores! I only got 32/60 - enough to pass, but I definitely need to work on it waaaay harder before the N3.

25 Likes

Thanks! You’re a lifesaver. There was an email about change in the exam location and it had my password. I’ve spent 2 hours searching for the damn voucher all over the place.

Felt like I did better. I wonder if they watch at your score, when you apply for a job.

Btw good luck with your N2 next time, fatwreck. You’re amazing for finding time and willpower to study japanese amidst adult life. Cheers (^o^)丿

29 Likes

Failed the N5. Don’t be jealous, but I’m perfectly poised for a dramatic comeback :wink:

20 Likes

Thanks and congratulations on passing the N1! You’re a total language beast!!!

1 Like

Congratulations everyone who passed, and to everyone who didn’t - keep at it!

I passed the N5 by 2 points. 53/120 in Vocab/Grammar/Reading and 28/60 for Listening. I really do feel like my Listening score should have been lower. I probably got lucky with some guesses.

I am so happy that I’ve come this far in my first year of studying, but I have so much to improve and this helped me to put it into perspective!

22 Likes

Failed reading coming comprehension badly

1 Like

I don’t use wanikani, but I sometimes stalk the book club reading discussions (they are really helpful).

Much to my surprise, I passed N2.

However, aside from my listening score, I don’t really feel good at all about the result. I know the grading is on a scale, but I got a C for grammar (meaning less than 34% of the questions on grammar correct). The idea the Japanese must have of a passing score/competency seems completely untethered from (my) reality. :thinking:

18 Likes

I mean, wherever you set the bar is all that matters. You could create two tests where the passing line represented an equivalent amount of knowledge, but you could vary the total amount of knowledge covered. So, in the case of a test that covered less total content, the passing line would be higher, and in the one that covered more, the passing line would be lower, but you’d expect the same people to pass both.

3 Likes

JLPT so far

:clock12: June 2017: Started learning Nihongo
:tada: December 2017: Passed N4
:tada: July 2018: Passed N3
:broken_heart: December 2018: Failed N2 by 4 points
:tada: July 2019: Passed N2
:broken_heart: December 2019: Took N1 without review. Biggest failure so far. 53/180.

22 Likes

Failed first attempt at N3 but got 88/180, which is surprising for me, since I had only studied briefly some vocab and kanji at that level. Reading was my worst score, which I figured as much, but I did surprisingly well on the listening so I guess I know what to focus on for July. <3

10 Likes

Sure, but if the minimum passing score is so low, the difference in knowledge that a low passing score and a high score represent is vast. I feel that for the JLPT, this difference is too vast. In the real world, I don’t feel like my low pass signifies much.

3 Likes

The JLPT doesn’t mean too much in the real world. For the highest levels, it gives you advantages when you’re looking for a job, when you’re immigrating or when you wanna get into uni. But the real discriminant is your pure ability to use the language. There’s people out there who have a N1 but can’t speak a proper Japanese. There’s also people out there who have mastered the finest subtleties of 敬語 but haven’t taken any test.

Overall the JLPT might get you the job interview, but it’s your Japanese skills that gets you the job.

8 Likes