JLPT 2019!

If its getting the words out thats hindering you then Shadowing dialogue or any text is probably the first step to get your mouth use to the movements. Beyond that, a tutor online/offline will probably be your best bet. Perhaps you can discuss a book with them

Passed the N4 last December (barely :sweat_smile:).

I’ll try aiming for N3 this December in Düsseldorf.

If composing on the spot is tripping you up, have you tried memorizing some notes to get the ball rolling? I’m sure you know the “greeting” script e.g. hello, nice to meet you, my name is etc. Why not make one for your favorite music, your work, hobbies etc ? I found this helps with the nervousness of speaking to strangers in any language. Once you are comfy, then the rest will flow.
Beware though, if you sound too fluent, the response you get may be difficult to understand.

Yeah I’ve actually been thinking about italki… i just still feel like I’m wasting everyone’s time (even though I guess I’d pay them) by not being able to really say much, as well as my money because of the same reason. Though I suppose those are just mental blocks that I’d better ignore xD

I’ve used anki a few times and it just never stuck for long. I always eventually just stopped using it, but maybe I’ll give it another shot…

I think actually it’s more the fact that I know a lot of grammar and vocab in comparison to my speaking ability and therefore know when something is wrong and so it just takes me too long constructing appropriate sentences. I’ve had the same problem in English and then moved there for a year and voila (although I think before I left for England my English wasn’t actually as bad as I think it was and nowhere near as bad as my Japanese currently). Problem solved. Unfortunately I can’t really just do that anymore, especially with Japan :sweat_smile:

Now there is an idea :heart_eyes: Now I’ll just have to find a tutor… preferably in person, something about online tutors just doesn’t seem right (or, more appropriately, not as effective) with me somehow (that’s just me btw, I’m sure it actually works perfectly fine for a lot of people)

That’s actually a super good idea! (and it’ll get me writing too, which is a plus) I’ll definitely try that :grin:

Yeah… thanks… but I don’t think I’ll need to keep that in mind for a looooooong time yet :sweat_smile:

So I saw some people talking about Listening for N2.

I was talking with someone on reddit who had passed N2 in past and teaches now. He recommended me this book - https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4896894758/

I have yet to begin my N2 studies but I tried a bit and liked the quality. Also there are around 94 tracks, so I think it is not a problem of enough material as well.

Failed the N3 by p o i n t s. ( wowwwwww that listening section)

Taking the N2 (and definitely passing) in December. I’ll be living in Japan within the next few weeks so I think that plus my already ridiculous study routine should be enough to not get killed by the Listening section – even if it’s at an N2 level.

I’ve been using iTalki for a couple years now, and I also got comfortable speaking idiot Japanese through that. I actually have 2 tutors (1 that I’d especially recommend, but she’s on the pricey side) that I both talk with and read books with. I don’t think I would’ve got to the level I’m in in Japanese without them.

You can see all the conversations we’ve had about iTalki throughout the years on the search page: https://community.wanikani.com/search?q=italki

Saruko, first of all, didn’t know you were in the Midwest. Usually I know every single person from the Midwest, or rather, they know me, poses :tipping_hand_man:t4:

Anyway, I’ve taken the JLPT tests in Chicago, which is always at the DePaul (Lincoln Park) campus. I’m not sure exactly what you’re referring to when you ask about the “conditions”, but I’d be happy to answer anything specific. The tests always get filled, the weather is always fine (I take a 10 minute train to the location), uhh, I dunno what else. Ask me ?‘s and I gotchuuuu’.

Yep, Midwest and always have been. Of course I know you :blush: I’m just usually too shy to talk to you.

This is good information to know.

I have my doubts about this, but maybe “fine” is a relative term…

The JLPT website makes it sound like everything will strictly controlled and exactly the same at each test site, but in one of the past JLPT threads here people were saying that there were some variations from the standards - things like there being a clock in the room, or differences in where you were allowed to keep your stuff. So that’s what I meant by “conditions”.

But it probably won’t really make a difference - Chicago is most likely test site for me to go to, even though the others I mentioned are about the same distance away. I guess I’m just feeling a little pre-pre-test jitters :sweat_smile: I haven’t taken any kind of real test in nearly 15 years!

Comparing N3 and N2, is N2 much much more harder than N3?

What, really!? Don’t be! You can always talk to me. And compliment me. And hold my hand. And- well you get it, talk to me!!!

Gotcha. I just assumed by “conditions” that you meant “weather”, oops :sweat_smile:. From my experience at the Chicago site location, there were no clocks in the room, and you had to keep your stuff under your chair. I brought a small leather backpack which had some JLPT review material and headphones in – I wasn’t even necessarily instructed to put the stuff there but I saw other people doing it and did that as well. I noticed that in-between segments there was a little “break” (1-2 minutes) and some people would take out material and glance at it real quick. I remember this because one girl said something out loud like, “ugh, so ‘newspaper’ is written with those kanji, I had it right the first time”. I also remember someone’s watch beeping and being mortified for them because I thought they’d get kicked out but nothing happened.

Another small, kind of irrelevant detail was that it was run by 100% Japanese instructors. They were sitting at the entrance of each door checking your names and they would speak to you in Japanese. I was too much of a scaredy-cat at the time to respond in Japanese but a lot of people would have short conversations in Japanese with them, which I thought was cool.

Anyway, if you have anymore questions feel free to DM/PM/carrier pigeon/show up at my house and we can talk! I might be doing another JLPT in December too. :eyes:

I have not taken either, but I will just jump in and say ‘yes’ based on all of the feedback I’ve heard/read about the two.

Ok, I rather thought that was a joke based on the sound check for the listening section. Apparently the weather is always nice.
天気がいいから散歩しましょう。

And yeah, N3 to N2 is a pretty big leap. I think about a year of study minimum is “recommended.” Six months is possible but requires some pretty intense studying. I had passed N3 in July and my teacher was pushing me to take the N2 that December because I was going to be leaving Japan around the time of the next July testing. It did not go well! I’m pondering a trip to Japan to take the N2 again this July, but I’ll probably have to wait until December.

(Don’t let the level fool you, my usage of WK petered out once I hit sixty so I decided to nuke it and start over).

It’s too late. I judge people solely on their levels. I’m sorry, musical bear… pushes you off the mountain

I guess while I’m here I’ll ask: is anyone looking to do the JLPT in Chicago for 2019? Anyone? Anyone? @Saruko

Feel like I know you so much better now :kissing_heart:

Oh yeah? Well then what’s my favorite color? :eyes:

Wait…did I not just say I already jumped off? Oh no…

:scream::scream::scream:

Every level always covers about twice the content as the one that came directly before it.

多分、紺だと思います。強くてほとんど黒色なんです。近いですか?