Jlpt 2018!

I heard at the end, that some chair was missing and they had to go to the room next door, to get one. I chose the chair, because I think I caught a glympse of asking the girl to do it, but my friend said afterwards, that she thinks, the guy went to get the chair, and the girl had to put the flowers in the vase. But neither of us are sure :'D

I went with ‘put coats away’. but i was pretty lost on that one. The rest of the listening section went fine, I think. Maybe two or three wrong?

The other sections I sped through. I had plenty of time to check my answers. There were a total of three vocab I was unsure about, ended up with one wrong (わかす). The reading section I was kind of unsure about a couple, but maybe one or two wrong?

I probably should have gone for N3, but that would have been a really big gap to bridge, and I probably wouldn’t have made it. Maybe in the summer I’ll do that one a little closer to home.

She had to arrange the flowers.

Yes! I think that’s what I answered. :joy:

I think she was asked to get the chair at the end.

I have to agree with if I look back on where I was a year ago. I did know my kana, but even attempting the N3 seemed far away, and I certainly didn’t think the kanji section would be the easy part!

So looking forward from today, even attempting the N2 seems far away, but I won’t say no. I’ll wait to see the N3 results first before making any promises.

I had the same answers for the picture and the money. The ryokan confused me so I chose the brochure answer after erasing my initial answer.

Took the N2 in Toronto. Felt the grammar/vocab/reading section was slightly harder than expected, though I didn’t diligently study vocab lists for N2, and just kind of winged it with WK and some sprinkling of Anki. Reading didn’t feel too tough this time around, while some practice questions I did had me scratching my head between two feasible answers.

For listening, felt that it was pretty much all quite understandable. Maybe the audio quality in my room was really good. There was one question where the guy is complimenting a girl on being おしゃれ, and I was unsure on what her answer to that really should be… Otherwise seemed fine.

In the grand scheme of thing I don’t really think the JLPT listening is unfair; they could make it harder by speaking at proper native speed, or using contractions like you’d encounter in real life (for example, よろしく slurred to the nth degree sounds like another language, but Japanese people will be able to understand it). Instead, they speak at a deliberately slow/medium pace, but make sure you understand the content. I’d also say that they could make this much harder by making the listening questions like reading questions. Here a short recording and then tell us which of the answers most closely matches what the speaker is trying to say (the section where you answer what they are talking about is similar I guess).

To the extent anyone cares, my approach to Japanese listening has been anime and dramas all the way, as well as language exchange buddies. I’m a believer in the exposure approach; as long as I am listening to Japanese a lot, with the intention of learning and making sure I can comprehend what’s being said, I feel improvement. I use English subtitles for very difficult stuff (like Overlord where they use obscure AF words), Japanese subtitles for dramas because I find them harder to comprehend than anime, and no subtitles for slice of life anime.

I got like a 54/60 on the N2 Listening in July. Doesn’t change the fact that I think the format is half stupid sections. There’s a difference between “stupid” and “unfair” I guess.

So i tried the N5 on Sunday and probably failed miserably XD the first part was suprisingly easy, but I totally failed listening and the second part cause my grammar knowledge lacks a lot. So yeah, I will probably either try N4 next year in July or the N5 again. Now I know what I was missing and can prepare better :man_shrugging:

They were eventually short on chairs but at that point, i couldn’t tell if he offered to get the chairs himself and let the girl do the flowers, or if he wanted the girl to do the chairs. :frowning: I chose chair but I think it might’ve been flowers.

I have literally no idea what was going on with the bus stations. Something about a bus stopping here, then there, but I have no idea what they were supposed to get on first or whatever.

I hope flower arranging is the answer! That’s what I put down.
Feeling less hopeless about the listening section now I know I at least had a few correct (maybe not enough to pass N4, but enough to not be 0!)

I’d been listening to Japanese media without subtitles for a little while (or with Japanese captions for more difficult adult-oriented dramas; I watched Haunting of Hill House on Netflix with the JPN dub+JPN captions recently, for example), and passing practice sections, but still feel like I got reamed by N2 listening. Maybe it was just an off day.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s unfair, as I said above. It’s just difficult in specific ways that real-life conversations, or even following scripted dramas, generally aren’t. (However, if my listening fluency were higher, it would overcome those differences, so that’s the goal.)

Yeahhh, the thing is that dramas and tv shows won’t help as much. For the higher levels you really need to be familiar with business talk. About as familiar as if they were in your native language. It’s not even what is being said explictely half the time, but what they are implying in the most round about manner they can possibly conceive.

I took N2 in Japan, at Hokuriku Daigaku. This summer (N3, whcih I passed), the proctor was extremely unclear about what the plastic sheet thingies were for (silencing phones… I don’t understand…), but this year’s proctor was a little meticulous about it and explained multiple times, so I finally understood WHAT they were asking us to do if not the WHY of it, and in general it was a lot less confusing what was allowed on my desk and what wasn’t. (Although they did make me put my jackets on the floor—I always drape them on the chair behind me because I get cold so easily—kind of late. I wish they’d asked me to do that before the test started.) And then I forgot about it and took my cell phone home wrapped in the plastic sheet. -_- Last summer the bus situation was utterly crazy and awful, so I skipped the post-test bathroom break and hopped on the first bus out. It was not even crowded yet. I made a good choice.

The test itself…meh. I think I have a good chance of passing, but I’m not sure I’d bet on it. However, although I failed to answer three questions on the reading, I did way better on finishing than I did on the attempt two years ago. So just judging by “questions completed,” I have a good chance. I had a choice of whether to tackle the longest reading or the A vs. B readings in the last ten minutes, and I think I made the wrong decision. The reading is tricky though. It can take re-reading to fully get the gist of something, and knowing when to scan and pluck versus take in the whole (and check yourself when you find that you’re NOT following what’s being said after all) can be difficult. Grammar/vocabulary is even more crucial when following an argument in the reading than it is in the grammar/vocabulary sections themselves.

I usually do well on the listening, but I was a little taken aback by how quickly the audio swept from question to question. I feel like the N3 had just a tad more time at the end of the question to mentally process. I was very confident on the whole N3 listening portion, but my grasp of the N2 questions was more variable. It depended a lot on whether I caught on at the beginning as to what was happening, or came in later. If the first or second sentence doesn’t throw me off, I’m usually good for the whole dialogue, though I can come in later - but then there’s no guarantee I’ll answer the question correctly if the speakers doubled back on something they said, or referenced an earlier judgment/decision only vaguely. Still — I aced the N2 listening portion the last time I took it, so I’m sure I didn’t do too badly.

Yeah, I read about one Japanese teacher online saying to watch business drama

also, watch lots of business Japanese related dramas. e.g (泣かないと決めた日、謎時はディナーのあとで、etc)

LOL, me too, I was completely lost with those two dialogues.

Sí, fue en CDMX. ¡Éxito para ti también! :smile:

It’s going to drive me crazy waiting for the result. Why does it take them so long?

The generally accepted reason is because the scoring is based on statistical analysis of the answers. You don’t merely get a standard number of points for each question, they are weighted first. So that allows them to not penalize people for questions that were unintentionally too hard. I imagine that can take a few different forms as well… like did everyone answer wrong with the same wrong answer, meaning it was possibly misleading, or was everyone wrong in a random way, suggesting they all guessed.

And they of course wait for all the physical tests from all over the world to make it back to Japan before they start.

But only employees would know the exact details.

Sooooo, I passed the jlpt in July (go me, it was quite a surprise) but the Dutch post lost my certificate…Now I’m waiting for the Dutch organisation to contact the Japan foundation for a new one…epic fail!