Jlpt 2018! (Results are now online!)

Going for the JLPT N2 here in Japan, failed in July so trying again but not sure I will have enough time to gain the 27 points I need to pass.
Just hard to find the time to focus on study outside of work!

2 Likes

Ahh, okay! Thats good! :smiley:

What part of the test do you feel is your weakest skill? I think mine is kanji knowledge. I need to focus on kanji study the next couple months. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Probably listening? Even though I’m usually a good listener, I’m also really good at immediately forgetting anything that is said to me, even in English :sweat_smile: I enjoy learning grammar so I’m not too worried about picking it up, and while reading looks intimidating, I did try a couple sample Qs online and even without 90% of N5 grammar I still kinda got the gist (although I chose like the only Q I had the vocab for lol). Kanji is definitely my strongest section, I even write them out by hand and convert them into hanja :sunglasses:

Have you finished Genki I then? I think if you go at full speed you can get to/very close to level 10 by the exam (95% N5 kanji), if WaniKani is your main resource ^^

3 Likes

I signed up for the N4 in December this year a month ago just before the sign ups closed.
I’m super nervous. I feel like I should have signed up for the N5 as that would have been an easy pass for me but then they’d be no point in me taking a test I guess.

2 Likes

Good luck! At your WK level, you’ve got the kanji section sorted for N4. Which section will you find the most challenging?

I will be sitting N4 in December too. I wrote this post to document my N4 resources.

2 Likes

Thank you, I actually saw that post yesterday! I have a lot of the suggested study materials purchased and on their way to me.

Listening will be the hardest for me, so I’m making sure to get in a lot of listening practice.

I am struggling with listening too. My tutor suggested that I read the script whilst listening to the text. That has been helpful. It has also helped my reading.

1 Like

I wanted to take N4 in December but unfortunately my college exams will be going on at that time. So, now I am thinking of directly taking N3 in July 2019.

Got my 新完全マスター books today, I’ll go through them and then take the N4 exam at home, will try to make it as official as possible lol. So, I wanted to ask if the papers will be uploaded online?

Can’t wait to go through them >.<

How do you even apply for JLPT? I’m pretty confident I could pass n5. I want to join the congratulations and commiserations. Time to hit google…

All the info is on the official site (it depends on where you live). I’m not sure any place still has applications open for this December though.

I saw the official final date is 5th of October when I applied, though most institutions that offer it might already be full up of applicants. So get on it today to find one near your region

Like I said, it depends where you live. The deadline in Japan was early last week.

Taking the N3 this winter. Confident I will pass, but I want all A’s :l

1 Like

Yeah looks like in Brisbane the cut off was early September so I properly missed it. I didn’t think applications would close that early. The downside of doing literally 0 research I guess. Maybe by next December I can go straight to n4.

More like July. Both N5 and N4 have roughly the same amount of work needed to be put into them.
Hell, I just finished N4 and am only giving myself 3 months to get prepared for the N3.

Even though N5-N3 don’t really matter (though some places are OK with just having N3 certification, but not many), I’ve enjoyed taking them just to measure my own progress. I recommend using the Attain Corp. videos on Udemy. Not only do they go over grammar, they do it by (albiet, terribly acted) videos with dialogue, and then they break down how the dialogue was used. The kicker is that it’s 100% in Japanese, so you’re exercising your listening skills. I’m halfway through the N3 course and often times I don’t even find myself looking at the subtitles at times since I’ve heard them say the same things so many times. xD

1 Like

@lollipophuho, you clearly missed my warning! :wink:

Brisbane also has a sitting in July. It is the only Australian city to host JLPT twice in the year.

1 Like

You mean the official test? No, that won’t be uploaded, or disclosed in any other way. If you want it as similar as possible to the real test then I’d buy the N4 test book

1 Like

I didn’t really follow this thread, it was sort of a last minute decision that I guess I can’t make anymore. July will be rough because I work full time and study part time (Not Japanese - my cup overfloweth), but if what @Leebo says is true I can probably do N4 or even N3 by the end of next year (my grammar and vocab is improving incrementally at a reasonable pace and I more or less only want to do the tests to mark progress milestones myself). I guess next year I’ll know to apply earlier.

1 Like

If you take the JLPT in Australia, do you have to write the kanji upside-down?

12 Likes

When we colour in the circles, they look the same upside down. The paper is printed upside down though. :wink:

5 Likes