Jlpt 2018! (Results are now online!)

Thanks so much for sharing! It’s really interesting to hear how other people study.

I think you’re probably better than me at Japanese (you do live in Japan), but I think I still have a fighting chance. I’ve been studying for just about 4 years; I’m a junior in high school and I’ve never been to Japan. I do volunteer at a Japanese school on Saturdays, though, so I get a lot of conversation practice.

I just signed up for the N1. I’ve been using 新完全マスター for N2 vocab and I’m moving to N1 vocab next week. I really have no idea whether I’ll pass or not; this is my first JLPT. (I missed the registration deadline by 4 hours last year.) The main reason for me taking the test is to prove my Japanese ability to the colleges that I apply to, so as long as I pass by July 2019 I’m good.

お互い頑張りましょうね!

6 Likes

Hey can anyone confirm that they will send out a Certificate for free and unrequested if you pass? Because the box for the application popped up.

jlpt

Also has anyone applied for the JLPT waiver from the JET Program? My supervisor is insisting I have to mail them a copy of my certificate but why wouldn’t the results page work?

The website says that everyone who passes gets a certificate. The application thing (I presume) is for people who need to send that certificate directly to a job or school, basically right this moment (whenever that moment is). Or if you lost your certificate.

Oh, in your case, yeah, this is probably the thing you need. And anyone could edit what their results page looks like in a screenshot, so presumably that’s why it’s no good.

1 Like

Signed up for N3 in December! Figured it would look better to pass N3 to struggle through N2… Now my only struggle will be to try to push myself to study Japanese since I’ve graduated and my exposure level has dropped dramatically…

3 Likes

Just filled in an N3 form for December. Will be my first time taking the test.

For extra panic, I am mailing my application to a country I’ve never been in (Switzerland) and info on the university (University of Zurich) page about JLPT is exclusively in languages I don’t speak in (german and french).

What could go wrong?

4 Likes

Since taking the JLPT is compulsory in our company for foreigners, I have no choice but to take N2 this December. I already bought books, Kanzen Master series, though.

For what purpose? You’re already an employee, right? Do they just want to keep people motivated to improve? Do they require some level to get hired in the first place? What happens if you fail?

We’re part of a training program and the level of JLPT corresponds to a better status. If I pass N2 before 2021, I can stay here for long. If not, I will be retrieved by the branch in my homecountry, where I was working originally.

So it’s not as though you (plural) are already conducting business in Japanese, right? It’s just located in Japan, and maybe at some point the trainees will be able to conduct business in Japan?

Our trainings are actually conducted in Japanese already, which is pretty difficult, since we are subscribed in the training program of the mother company here in Japan, we received prior training from my home country branch of the same company before being transferred here. 6 months of Nihongo to pass N4 and 6 months engineering training.

1 Like

Why so? Are you planning to be in Switzerland at that time?

Yeah, I will be on training in Geneva until 30th of November, so Zurich is the closest place to take the test.

Hey everyone! New recruit here. It’s really cool to read about all the hard work people have been putting in and the results that have followed. So much so, that I think I’m going to register for my first JLPT test this December. Is there a rough guideline for which level to take regarding the amount of time studying Japanese?

3 Likes

Well, you could try the sample questions and see where your limit is.

http://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/forlearners.html

N5 covers 80-100 kanji, several dozen grammar points, and maybe… 500ish vocab?

Then a good rule of thumb is that each subsequent test covers twice as much, or more, as the previous level. So, each time you move up, you’re covering a larger gap each time.

3 Likes

Let me know if you have questions about Switzerland! I will be near Basel from October. And plan to take N3 in Zurich Dec 2018 as well, so see you there?

1 Like

Cool, I might just ask you a few things later on. I will have a week of vacation straight after JLPT and will have an opportunity to see some of Switzerland. :smiley: See you in Zurich.

1 Like

Good luck with prep!

1 Like

Oh man, seeing this thread makes me really want to take JLPT this year. :tired_face: I skipped N3 and am aiming for N2.

I know I could probably get good grades in listening and so on but I’m really lacking in N2/N1 kanji. I probably could get to level 40 by December but originally I wanted to complete WK before attempting N2.

I definitely will attempt N2 in 2019 but it’d be so amazing to pass it this year. It’s just the… kanji. :joy: facepalm

Oh well, good luck to everyone this year!

4 Likes

Throwing my hat in the ring too. Will be taking N4 for the first time this december!

7 Likes

I’m waffling between N4 and N5, having taken neither before. I feel pretty good about N5 from everything available to me (practice tests, wanikani, kaniwani, bunpro, all the linked sites from bunpro, genki) and think I’ll pass, no problem.

The tricky thing is, I only get to take one a year here, and if I could pass N4, then taking N5 would “waste” a year. But taking N4 and failing would “waste” TWO years. (I’m putting “waste” in quotes because I’m still learning what I learn every day, but you know what I mean). I’m much less confident with N4 and with only a few months to study… I think I’m making my decision as I’m typing this.

1 Like