Jlpt 2018! (Results are now online!)

I might use the opportunity to visit the city, so I’ll choose whichever I feel like visiting more.
Thanks for the tips! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll probably skip this year. Assuming I passed the N5 in December :crossed_fingers: I won’t be ready for N4 this year. Full time job + full time dad = very little study time.

5 Likes

Going for N1 in July but highly doubt my chances of success.

2 Likes

This will be my first time taking the test so I think I’m going to take N5 in July and, depending on how my studies go, maybe take N4 in December. I’m kinda in between them right now, I think. I know I won’t be ready for N4 in six months, but I’m hoping that’s the case come December. Do you have to sign up for both dates at the same time or is this sign up date just for July and December’s registration will come later?

3 Likes

You sign up for one at a time

If you take the July exam, the results will be available in late August, and then the registration for December is usually open until some time in September, I think. So you’ll have some time to evaluate and decide.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks for the replies!

1 Like

Took N4 in December, but had plenty of time and should pass. Aiming for N2 this year. I think it should be doable given I’ll be well-covered on the kanji side thanks to WK, will be done the Anki Core 10K, and will continue reading books over the next year to improve reading speed. Good luck to all! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, we only get to take the test in December here in Mexico so I don’t have many options.

Everything depends on the results of the 2017 test. If I don’t pass I’ll take N3 again. If I do pass, I’ll attempt N2 just for the lols.

A part of me wants to go for the N2 regardless, since a year is probably enough time to prepare for it, but I want to slow down a bit on my Japanese studies, they’re taking quite a lot of my time right now

1 Like

Thanks! This turned out to be a much better link for me! http://www.ask-books.com/tadoku/en/

1 Like

Don’t you DARE doubt your chances. You will pass. I believe in you.

10 Likes

I took the N5 in Chicago in December '17. Depending on the results, in the event that I passed, I may try for N3 in December. But I won’t jump to any conclusions until the results come back. :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

That was my plan too! Or maybe I’ll take the N3 again even if I passed because I kind of enjoy taking the tests. And I can get a refund from my university to cover test fees anyway, so I don’t have to worry about that either :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This will be my first time taking the JLPT but I’m shooting for N3! I’ll probably fail though but I’ll consider it practice for the December test haha.

Though I’d like some advice.

I’m self-studying in Japan. I tried Genki for grammar but I really dislike that it’s meant for classes so I can’t bring myself to get through it. So far I enjoy Tae Kim’s Grammar Guide. I know if I complete it it’ll get me to around N4. After that should I go with Tobira or maybe Imabi or something else?

I know about the Ultimate Resource List. I think I’m just overwhelmed with how many choices there are. Can anyone tell me what they used?

2 Likes

Aiming for the N3 this year. I was planning to take the N4 this year, but I ended up not being able to sit for the exam due to a minor surgery that was just plain inconvenient in terms of scheduling. :cries:
Tbh, I feel like my Japanese really went downhill last year, because I wasn’t able to put in nearly as much study time in 2017. SO. The Great Crabigator’s beginning-of-the-year email got me kind of pumped and put into perspective what i could really do if I tried hard and prioritized well. I completely reset my progress to level 0 in order to refresh everything I think I lost, and as long as I can stay on track, I think I’ll be all right. Except I’m really nervous about the listening comprehension. I SUCK at listening comprehension. :cries again:
I need to start finding time to grab lunch with my Japanese co-workers and begging them to let me practice while we eat.

1 Like

That’s pretty much me. But right now, I’m putting N3 out there and not giving myself permission to back-pedal until it’s time to sign up in September. hahahah

I want to go for the N4, but every time I think about actually doing it, my stomach drops and I remind myself how much I hate both self-studying and standardized tests. Thanks to WK, I’m the least worried about the kanji section, but my grammar is just…ugh…I haven’t taken a stab at any listening yet, so I don’t know how terrible that will be. I don’t know if I will be confident enough to go for it in July, but I am planning on not being in Japan in December, so…

Is anyone else already a nervous wreck?

Guess I’ll see you in Düsseldorf ! :smiley:
Will be taking the N5 also.

Thinking I won’t take JLPT again, until I get my daughter interested and make her my study buddy, and she wants to take it herself. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

@eefi @xBl4ck I guess I should have stayed with my Düsseldorf plans. :smiley: Maybe I’ll see you for N4 in December then :slight_smile:

2 Likes