Jlpt 2018! (Results are now online!)

Misa on YouTube did a series of videos on the conditional forms and their differences.

5 Likes

I find often with adult Japanese students that they struggle with the English conditional because they can’t find one-to-one equivalents in Japanese. One of things many Japanese learning textbooks try to do is try to superimpose the use of たら, ば/れば, と, and なら into an English way of using it when, in fact, there’s a lot of overlap between what’s possible to use for certain cases. I’ve included a video from 日本語の森 where Kento-sensei goes through five cases when these can be used.

I hope these will be as helpful for you as they were for me. The JLPT specializes in including items that have unexpected uses/meanings on the tests. It’s best to go in with as much knowledge as possible.

6 Likes

Thank you for the links! I’m also taking N3 in two weeks and I’m starting to panic if I really know enough things to be able to pass. I’m sure these videos will be helpful for my last minute studies & revision.

Test-takers living in Japan: has anyone received their test details in the post?

Yes, got the voucher two days ago in the mail !

Taking the N2 in Toyko. It’s funny for me because I’ve been a professional Japanese translator for 5 years, but my field is so narrow that I failed the N2 earlier this year despite all that. After six months on Wanikani, I think maybe I’ve picked up enough extra vocab to get through it.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for all the helpful posts! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ll take a better look when I get home from work.

To be honest, I’m more of a person that likes to be well prepared so N4 is just right for me ^^; Not sure I can do N3 in July, I’ll probably take a year to prepare for that.

I got mine a couple of days ago as well.

I also received mine. The site said they were supposed to be sent out by now, so if it hasn’t shown up by the end of Saturday, I’d consider contacting them.

Thanks all. Received mine yesterday. 頑張ろう!

the vouchers are out.
its about to get real.

2 Likes

I’m going to pass the JLPT5 December 2nd. Should be fine, just a bit scared about the vocabulary/kanji I didn’t learn yet.

3 Likes

JLPT December is getting really close ! One week and half !

I’m taking the N3 this time and getting more and more nervous… According to some mock text I should be right around the passing bar, it can go either way :cold_sweat:

Fortunately I can dedicate up to 4/5 hours of study every day until the test. For those who already passed N3, what do you think would be the most beneficial to focus on now ? (My weak point is the second part, Grammar and Reading)

1 Like

I’m also taking the N3 this December and I’m pretty worried about my chances lol. I’ve been busting my ass to study for this thing but I’ve just got huge gaps in my grammar and kanji compared to where I need to be. Still I’d rather have tried hard and fail the N3 than ace the N4 without having had to do much. Looking forward to a new era next year and new opportunities to improve on my Japanese regardless of whether or not I pass.

2 Likes

Aaaand I’m not going. Thanks, arms. Also, thanks head. Oh well, next year!

N5 London coming up for me too quickly! Day job has been super busy so have been up until 2am every night for the last week :dizzy_face: Perhaps I was a bit over ambitious but at least it’s a target to go for…

To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein

8 Likes

One more week of study left!

It’s difficult to keep focussed on studying when there’s so many distractions, but its just one more week.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for it to be over! This JLPT has been stressing me out more than the last one. There was just so much going on at work and I tried to do it in a shorter time span and I’m a little burnt out I guess.
I’ll be really happy to move on to other things and not focus on the next level for a while. That’s my main reason why I’m really looking forward to Sunday.

But at the same time keep thinking about how much studying I would have to do to be able to attempt N3 next December. I’ll probably do this to myself again next year and I’ll hate myself for it. That’s life :woman_shrugging:

But anyway: good luck everyone! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I know, right? I’m kind of freaking out about how little Japanese I actually know. I mean it seems like a lot, but then I get those reading passages where I know all the words but don’t understand how they fit together.

Or I try practice JLPT listening questions where I have to calculate times and dates which is something I’m hopeless at even in English. Oh well, just a few more days to stress about it.

If I only had one more year to study for the N3… and come to think of it, I may just get that chance.

5 Likes

Someone mentioned to me that test-takers in Asia are possibly giving their Europe/Americas friends a heads-up on content before their tests by taking advantage of the time difference. My understanding is that everyone gets the same content worldwide so it sounds feasible. Has anyone come across this? If not JLPT but other world-wide proficiency exam?

If true, this is a substantial advantage (especially for obscure reading/listening subject matter in the upper levels where someone could brush up on their vocab in that particular area).