Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

Seems like a great idea. Will be trying this out now.

Edit: Works great. Thanks a lot!

dirkgent1y said... :SADFACE:

When I try to clicky the links to get the much needed fonts... they time out and the webpage can't be loaded. 
 I've downloaded the 10 fonts and put them in a zip. Hope that helps! :)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=16104900162000023264
2 Likes

Just tried it and it worked like a charm. Had about 50 reviews, and the first ones went a bit slower since the fonts were new to me. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I seemed to adapt though. Hopefully, that means getting used to new fonts is something that can be managed alright even outside of Wanikani.

Thanks again.

This is amazing stuff, thank you! Confirms my suspicions that I’d do much better learning to write everything as well, some of those fonts are ludicrous if you don’t know the stroke order!

This is awesome! Thanks!!

Saradus said...
dirkgent1y said... :SADFACE:

When I try to clicky the links to get the much needed fonts... they time out and the webpage can't be loaded. 
 I've downloaded the 10 fonts and put them in a zip. Hope that helps! :)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=16104900162000023264
 Thanks! I had problems with the site as well but that worked! :D

Great! I Confirm that it doesn’t work with reorder scripts. I use Reorder Ultimate and even after only paring reading meaning it screws the Jitai script.

1 Like

Amenophyckxs said…
I have the same issue as with the other font changer, whenever I reorder my reviews it stops cycling through the font list.
embe said… I Confirm that it doesn’t work with reorder
scripts.
 I haven’t ever used any reorder scripts, so I can’t really say very much on this. My first assumption was that the reorder scripts also hook into the JS objects I do and create some sort of collision, but now that I think about it that wouldn’t have stopped the timer-based one. Maybe they mess with JS execution somehow? Not looking into it at the moment - I suppose all I can say right now is it probably doesn’t play nice with reorder scripts. Thanks for the report!

Aleithian said…
This is really nice. Two questions:

1) How would I edit the script to stop the font returning to WK’s default when I answer?

2)
The script seems to be using only one of the Japanese fonts on my
Macbook Pro at the moment. Any idea why it would do that? There’s plenty
of J-fonts installed. 
1) Remove or comment out the entire block of lines after the comment starting “answerChecker.evaluate is only called when checking the answer[…]”. At the moment (v1.0.0), that’s line 193-202 (Edit: on version 1.1.1, that’s lines 186-195), but that may change as the script changes. If enough people want to disable it, I may add a configurable variable to the script. If even more… well, I guess an options menu could be added.

2) Which fonts do you have? If you look in the list of fonts supported by default, do those match yours, or do you mostly have other fonts installed? Jitai only uses the fonts in that list without modifying the script to add new ones.

I must admit, I don’t know if the real font names of HanziPen and Hannotate are actually “HanziPen TC” and “Hannotate TC” respectively or not - I don’t have a mac, so I haven’t been able to try them. I’d definitely like to find out so I can make sure it works as intended, though!

Looks good. Installed and going to wait two hours until my next review to report back.

On a mac myself, and my system is showing Hanzipen.ttc (two fonts in the family, each with two weights: HanziPen SC and HanziPen TC, regular and bold) and Hannotate.ttc (same thing - SC and TC, regular and bold)

I’ll make a point to check when I’ve got my reviews if they are displaying correctly.

embe said... Great! I Confirm that it doesn't work with reorder scripts. I use Reorder Ultimate and even after only paring reading meaning it screws the Jitai script.
 Can't confirm this for me. Ultimate reorder and this script seem to be working well together.

Managed to get my hands on a Macbook for a bit - turns out they’re named “HanziPen TC” and “Hannotate TC”. Will probably add Kaiti TC too, for another mincho font on OS X. Coming up shortly!

The whole experience of this script though is weeeerd. Well, in a good way. But two of the fonts I just can’t read at all. :wink:

obskyr said...I haven't ever used any reorder scripts, so I can't really say very much on this. My first assumption was that the reorder scripts also hook into the JS objects I do and create some sort of collision, but now that I think about it that wouldn't have stopped the timer-based one. Maybe they mess with JS execution somehow? Not looking into it at the moment - I suppose all I can say right now is it probably doesn't play nice with reorder scripts. Thanks for the report!
Yeah, it sucks. I really got used to the reorder script, so it would be nice if they work together one day.
I'll subscribe to this thread and check in from time to time to see if there are any updates. Really nice script, so I look forward to seeing it work! :)

This looks great. Also, you turned me on to a bunch of neat new fonts.  I would like to make a correction, however, since it really messed with me until I googled it. It’s freejapanesefont.com - singular, not plural.

hahahahah! This script is awesome. NICE font picks. FINALLY got to download them onto my computer at home. Will have to get an admin password to successfully install them on work computer, lol. 

Even before this script, I guess because I learn to write all of the kanji as well and that seems to help, I have found that I don’t USUALLY have really significant problems reading kanji other places when I see it (if it’s kanji I know. Maybe it’s because I’m low-level and only know so many kanji, lol.) But dang… ONE of those fonts is pretty dadgum hard, man. I actually had to cheat once by hovering, 'cause I could NOT figure that junk out, lol.

Great script. Thanks for writing and sharing.

1 Like

So far, so good! Working well, gave me a rather wide selection of fonts and hasn’t (yet) impeded me in reading them. 
Nice job! 

P.S. - you should add Google’s Noto to the script, I won’t be surprised if it becomes the most widely used font for Asian languages soon enough and it’s fully cross-platform.

1 Like

THANK YOU!

eninny said... So far, so good! Working well, gave me a rather wide selection of fonts and hasn't (yet) impeded me in reading them. 
Nice job! 

P.S. - you should add Google's Noto to the script, I won't be surprised if it becomes the most widely used font for Asian languages soon enough and it's fully cross-platform.
 +1

Amenophyckxs said...
obskyr said...I haven't ever used any reorder scripts, so I can't really say very much on this. My first assumption was that the reorder scripts also hook into the JS objects I do and create some sort of collision, but now that I think about it that wouldn't have stopped the timer-based one. Maybe they mess with JS execution somehow? Not looking into it at the moment - I suppose all I can say right now is it probably doesn't play nice with reorder scripts. Thanks for the report!
Yeah, it sucks. I really got used to the reorder script, so it would be nice if they work together one day.
I'll subscribe to this thread and check in from time to time to see if there are any updates. Really nice script, so I look forward to seeing it work! :)
 I believe it's purely coincidental that the issue you're experiencing is happening when you click the reorder button. I have also used both random font scripts with both of the reorder scripts that you've mentioned (currently using Reorder Ultimate 2) and I haven't had any compatibility issues. So the problem must be some other conflict.
busaninja said...
 I believe it's purely coincidental that the issue you're experiencing is happening when you click the reorder button. I have also used both random font scripts with both of the reorder scripts that you've mentioned (currently using Reorder Ultimate 2) and I haven't had any compatibility issues. So the problem must be some other conflict.
 There must be a reason, not a coincidence. Not sure what it is, but someone else commented after me saying they also have the same problem. It's just a matter of finding out what causes it. I guess your case is different. Maybe you're lucky, don't know. xD
Anyway, this looks like a nice script so I hope someone figures out what causes it.