Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

This isn’t universal - I use Firefox and I’m getting installed fonts just fine, even with tracking protection turned on.

I’m on Firefox, Linux Mint 19 and the script doesn’t seem to work (even when all other installed scripts are disabled), but it works fine on Chrome (with no other scripts installed). I see other users had similar problems, like @Alluka-Sama here. I’m not really so eager to reinstall all my third-party apps, so I simply reinstalled Jitai and then WaniKani Override, to no avail. I’ve even placed Jitai in the first place on Tampermonkey’s dashboard, and even tried to disable all other scripts leaving Jitai alone, but it still didn’t work. I wonder what could it be?

@Mutoh I’m also on Firefox, Xubuntu 18.04, running in firejail (sandbox) which prevents me from typing Japanese, but that’s fine for WaniKani. I downloaded and installed almost every font suggested in the following GitHub list and it works.

I also use a fair amount of other userscripts and changed the position of Jitai in the Tampermonkey list more than once without any negative behavior. The font often changes in the reviews but I cannot say for sure that all of the installed fonts are really in use.

Hmm. @Mutoh and @Alluka-Sama, which Firefox version (menu → “Help” → “About Firefox”) and Tampermonkey version (menu → “Add-ons” → Tampermonkey) are you on?

Just a quick note for those who are having problems. My fonts were not changing until I restarted the computer. Now all is well.

@obskyr I just found out that Reorder Ultimate overrides the Math.random function! When I checked to see if Jitai even worked together with Reorder Ultimate (which of course it did) I found this comment:

// Reorder scripts seem to like overwriting Math.random(!?), so this
// workaround is required for Jitai to work in conjunction with them. 

!? indeed! I guess WaniKani’s code uses Math.random to get the next item so they wanted to override it, but overriding that is pretty evil if you ask me!

2 Likes

Agreed. I had lots of issues with one script before I found out that this was the problem

2 Likes

@obskyr this is the kanji learning experience i never knew i needed. U so cool

1 Like

I’m annoyed at having to make a local copy of Math.random to avoid having my script be ruined by another script. :expressionless:

1 Like

So I installed the script just in time for some review to pop up and

WHAT.

…I blame this guy:

Anyway, this is exactly what I was looking for, fantastic.

3 Likes

What font is that?? :scream:

1 Like

I’m just assuming it’s ArmedBanana because that’s the minimalist handwriting font driving everyone up the wall.

2 Likes

I set this up the other day, but I seem to be only getting a handful of fonts showing up. I’m pretty sure I entered the fonts I downloaded into the program right, any ideas why I might be seeing only a little? Is it that I have too many similar-looking fonts or something?

Fonts list in program

Current selection. All from the free japanese fonts site.

are any of these fonts very harc to read. if so please tell me the names and sent me the font.

uhm if u are using windows when u install the font check the install dialog for the real font name. also u need to edit some config in firefox to allow non normal fonts as firefox decided to block websites from acessing fonts to avoid fingerprinting

Does anyone still have the install files for the recommended fonts? Most of them seem to have dead links…

Mama mia, why do these Japanese font blogs keep breaking their links? I’ve fixed all of the broken links in the font list – enjoy!

One of the broken links – Sanchōme Font – was hosted on Japanese Geocities, which died just recently. Poor Geocities Japan. So much invaluable content. But hey, the Internet Archive managed to save most of it!

3 Likes

Praises be to the Internet Archive!

Thanks for fixing those links. I was stumbling through them only a few hours before you fixed 'em

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for fixing the links! I actually just went and found a lot of my own fonts anyways, but now I can grab some of these too! I did have to manually add and change the names on the script in taper monkey because for some reason my windows 7 had slightly different names for some of the standard fonts.

Secondly, this script has helped me tremendously be able to recognize kanji in the wild. I was dubious that there’d be a solid transfer of effort to payoff, but within a few weeks its been an amazing transformation of ability to read random Japanese since my brain isn’t stuck in a solid way of seeing it anymore.

Thank you so much for the script and support!

2 Likes

Hi,

Looking for the link to download it.
Someone got it? I try the link of the very start of the post but not working.

Thanks.