Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

In addition to the ones @dbuendia took, there are also some in a post made earlier by @polv.

I’ll just leave this here then; hold CTRL to use normal font.

I can see the whole argument for it being too easy or whatever using a keypress instead of mouseover, but I for one am a poweruser who sees the mouse as nothing more than a necessary evil that should be avoided if at all possible. To each his own!

2 Likes

I can’t thank you enough!

I’ve gone and added the mods you made, and also added @dbuendia’s font recommendation, love me some retro games.

You guys rock. Thanks again!!

Cool. This is exactly what the fork feature is all about. :grin:

Regarding the “the mouse […] should be avoided if at all possible” part, though: that’s the point! Moving your hand to use the mouse is troublesome, and thus makes you think twice before checking the normal font.

1 Like

It’s not so good for people with repetitive strain injuries or who are trying to avoid repetitive strain injuries, though.

Wow, that’s so much more disorienting than expected. Ultimately, my students’ fast handwriting is infinitely more impossible to read, but I can’t blaze through reviews now, which will help with my accuracy. I normally review so fast that I don’t have time to “Ignore” for typos. :expressionless:

A definite keeper for me. :smile:

2 Likes

If your wrist is injured, then yeah, I suppose you’re in the minority to whom a keyboard shortcut would do more good than harm. If not, though, I doubt using the mouse is gonna do that to you - unless you check the normal font for every item, perhaps. Which I hope you aren’t. :scream:

Very cool!
I have tried to find the info on re-order scripts, but this is a long thread… :frowning:
Does it work with any? I’m using a mac&safari and “Wanikani Review Order”. Once I klick on “Single Mode” ie meaning and reading paired I only get a single alternative font (sort of just a bolder one).

It works with Reorder Ultimate. I haven’t heard of the one you’re using - link it here and I’ll see if I can update Jitai to work with that one too!

1 Like

Ok, cool!
I’m happy to test and give feedback, feel free to PM me.
https://greasyfork.org/scripts/4770-wanikani-review-order/code/WaniKani%20Review%20Order.user.js

So… apparently that script overwrites Math.random without saving the original. I think there’s a workaround that might work - lemme try.

1 Like

Minor update to Jitai: version 1.3.1! One change in this one:

• Jitai now works with all reorder scripts (as long as they don’t do anything even more silly than what they’re already doing).

Maybe Jitai’s due for an update with more default fonts soon? :thinking:

Is it worth adding font-size manipulation to Jitai too? It’s not just different fonts that are hard; size makes a big difference too.

I messed with the script a bit and managed to make it so that the font-size is also randomly shrunk. It was an amusing exercise. The main issue was testing. I’d already finished all my reviews, so I had to wait for the next one to come before I could verify what I’d done. :smiley:

My goal was to see what would happen if I were faced with tiny PixelMplus10 prompts, but I forgot to install the font on my computer too. I managed to verify random font-size shrinking, but I’ll have to try this specific combination later.

The update killed the fonts I had turned on :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is there a way for us to set the fonts we want to use without getting them overwritten by updates?

Oh geez… Did it auto-update despite the fact that you’d edited it, or did you update manually?

The only way I can think of to have custom fonts automatically carry over through updates is to store the font list locally in localStorage or similar, and then let the user add to it or remove from it in a separate interface (perhaps on the WaniKani settings page). I’d rather not have to to that, but if people’s fonts are getting removed… :worried:

Tamper Monkey auto-updates if the version is incremented, manual updates be damned.

The main problem is, I don’t remember if I got fonts other than those you suggested. And if I did, I don’t know how to find them on my computer. I went through the list you give and re-selected the ones I like, but I haven’t tried to find my other fonts yet.

This time I copied my list to the comments section of Tamper Monkey so that when the script updates I don’t lose my list. And I disabled automatic updates for this script just to be extra safe.

As for what to do about this in the future, I don’t have any good ideas. The current approach isn’t great, but having to build a UI to let people set their fonts sucks and storing it in local storage or anything else specific to the browser just introduces other ways of losing the user’s preferences.

I don’t think there’s any point in rolling back now - I’m fairly certain most people who use custom fonts have already auto-updated by now. I guess I’ll think a bit about how (or whether) to solve this…

I’m thinking perhaps a UI on the settings page together with a JSON export / import feature might be good enough. That way, fonts will automatically carry over, but you can still save your list to disk if you want to migrate or you get paranoid.

1 Like

@obskyr
this is amazing. thank you so much for your work on this!

1 Like

I love this script too, thank you!

1 Like

I have a slight problem where the first kanji in a review will be in a different font, but every other kanji in the review will be unaffected. What should I do?

Thank you