Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

chrome and tampermonkey BETA and yes it’s enabled :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve noticed with the Hoso Fuwa font, which is recommended on the gist, that the glyph for character 0x667A () is the same as the glyph for 0x77E5 (), which keeps tripping me up (unsurprisingly). I rather like the font, so I’d like to keep using it…

Does anyone have a version of the font that doesn’t have this issue? Or know a way to contact the person who made it? Or are they meant to be the same for some reason?

Thanks

Thanks. That makes sense. Perhaps it should be noted as a caveat next to the font on that gist?

Those links seem to just let me share the font on my social networks. I found them on Twitter, but they haven’t used it for a while.

Instead I’ve removed the glyph from the font (using Glyphs).

That’s a bit of a problem, isn’t it? I found this in the font’s readme:

フォントの誤字・脱字などを発見されたら、フォントのコメント欄に
残して頂けると嬉しいです。

Basically:

If you find an incorrect or missing character or the like, I’d be glad if you left it in the font’s comment field.

So I suppose the right way to go about things is to post a comment on the font’s webpage! Good opportunity to put that Japanese to use.

1 Like

Now, I have done it.

This font is PixelMPlus10 and PixelMPlus12.

5 Likes

What about font gallery? What does it look like?

I finally can install all fonts. I make a gallery here.

The only one I use for Jitai is PixelMplus10.

3 Likes

Can anyone confirm that this works with the most recent version of Firefox? It’s working for me in chrome, but does absolutely nothing in Firefox.

@Sextron Greasemonkey broke in the latest version of Firefox. Try switching over to Tampermonkey and re-add your scripts there.

1 Like

@seanblue That did it. Thanks. Didn’t realize Tampermonkey was available for Firefox, too.

Is there any way to use Jitai with Safari on Mac?

Just use TamperMonkey for Safari.

Indeed, that worked. Maybe someone could update the stickies post at the top of the thread to say so?

Done! Hoping for Greasemonkey to fix their stuff soon…

Whoa, check out this weird rendition of “栄”:

What in the world

I looked it up, and it seems the kyūjitai kanji got simplified to the shinjitai kanji 栄. So the 炏 radical – fire – got simplified to ⺍, which usally means “small”. Interesting.

Apparently this means this font, Nagayama Kai, uses kyūjitai kanji (at least occasionally)! Wonder if it’d be a good idea to add more kyūjitai fonts…

It took me quite a bit a to get it to work, but I was finally able to.
It’s hella great!! Thank you very much form making this, it’ll help a lot.

I do have one recommendation (provided it wasn’t given before), there should be a keyboard hotkey to toggle between the base WK font and the ones Jitai puts. That way users don’t have to drag their hand all the way to their mouse. Just a tip, thought! It may be already implemented and here I am, rambling.

2 Likes

I just can’t believe how fun this is. THANK YOU for this script!!

1 Like

I’m super glad you like it! What was difficult in getting it to work? If it’s not particularly easy, maybe I could improve that.

As for the keyboard shortcut - that’s been discussed a few times already. The reason Jitai doesn’t have a keyboard shortcut is fairly simple: a keyboard shortcut is too easy to subconsciously abuse. It’s too easy for it to become a reflex, hitting the key every time you have even a little trouble reading a kanji… which defeats the purpose of the script. Trying to figure out difficult fonts is part of the learning process, so circumventing that shouldn’t come too naturally.

1 Like

Hey @obskyr,

Is there a way to check the fonts the script is using? I downloaded some pixeled ones (PixelMPlus) but they are not appearing during reviews so i’m wondering if the script is displaying all the fonts I have installed.

Thanks, have a nice weekend!

EDIT: Oh, looking at the script I realized that you might have to ADD the fonts manually to the array of fonts (mine wasn’t on the list). I just added the name and it works perfectly. I was going to delete the comment but I guess I’ll leave it just in case it can be useful for someone. :smiley:

Care to take some screenshots of the font?

Yup!

I don’t think is THAT useful because it basically looks like a retro videogame, but I love it. I’d like to play and be able to read retro games anyway.