Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

AnimeCanuck said...But it's that I had the default font plus this other identical font with wider spacing. So I was seeing the default font more than 2/3rds of the time. But as I said, I only had this script running for 20 reviews yesterday, which is a small sampling, too. (And I was sad to see my lovely Hirose and Tsuruya fonts not show up, but perhaps they're kana only???)
 You probably didn't have the default font and an identical font in the rotation for font changes (not counting hover + post-answer). If so, it was most likely just a similar one; I know Meiryo and MS Gothic are fairly similar (though you don't have Meiryo).

If you've added Tsuruya and Hirose and they aren't showing up, chances are they don't contain kanji (or at least not the kanji for the words in your reviews). A certain picture on the Tsuruya homepage, and a similar one on Hirose's, suggest that they are indeed only kana.

obskyr said...That might be MS Gothic. Do you have Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro, Meiryo, Yu Gothic, or Osaka installed (for real, I'd like to know the answer)?
 If you really want, I made a double screenshot image of all of my currently installed fonts.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt8/AnimeCanuck/WaniKani/installed%20fonts.png

AnimeCanuck said...
obskyr said...That might be MS Gothic. Do you have Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro, Meiryo, Yu Gothic, or Osaka installed (for real, I'd like to know the answer)?
 If you really want, I made a double screenshot image of all of my currently installed fonts.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt8/AnimeCanuck/WaniKani/installed%20fonts.png

Well, looks like MS Gothic was it, then. You can remove the line with MS Gothic from the list in the script if you really want to be without the default font during reviews.

Oh, and I tried the type tests for Tsuruya and Hirose on the type foundry's website, and it seems like they are kana only. Pretty much completely confirmed.

Just wanted to say Thank You!

I had my account reset recently, and figured I’d remember the first 10 levels or so pretty easily… but not with this script! It’s been a blast the last couple times I’ve had a review. Sometimes the writing is beautiful and easy to recognize, and then sometimes I’m thinking “The heck is that? I mean, I know it’s a Kanji but… Whoa wait, you can write it like that?! How strange.” It’s definitely kept me on my toes, I’m loving it!

obskyr said...
AnimeCanuck said...

Well, looks like MS Gothic was it, then. You can remove the line with MS Gothic from the list in the script if you really want to be without the default font during reviews.

Oh, and I tried the type tests for Tsuruya and Hirose on the type foundry's website, and it seems like they are kana only. Pretty much completely confirmed.
 Awww... boo. Well, thank you for all the extra checking. I'll have to take a look at your github list and download some of those (or maybe all of them) fonts you have there after work. (Gotta run for now.)

Thanks for the script, it works like a charm for me! Some of those fonts are pretty extreme though. Good practice anyways.

So, I’ve been using this script while doing my reviews at work and have been limited to the default fonts that are pre-installed on Windows 7. I just did my first review session at home with all the extra scripts that were suggested in this thread and I’m quite impressed with the range of fonts that I can readily recognize kanji. But I’m also becoming very aware of how long I have to stare at them sometimes before it clicks.

Thanks for making this script flow so well and giving us all this great opportunity to really improve our mental flexibility.

Oh, and WOW that Armed Banana is vicious. Sometimes, I’ll hover to see it in Meiryo and find it hard to believe that it’s supposed to be the same word.

Great tool, but I do feel that it is weighted a bit too much towards handwritten and calligraphic fonts.  While it is useful to get some practice reading those, I still want to be most familiar with regular, computer looking fonts since most of the reason I am learning Japanese is to read stuff printed in such fonts, and not really to read handwritten things so much.  It might be nice if there was a way to assign weights to individual fonts (or even better to groups of fonts) to remedy this a bit.

Well, that’s just my own suggestion anyway, but either way great script, thanks a bunch for creating this thing.

Far as I can tell, the only weighting is the one implicit from whatever fonts happen to be installed on your system.  

Would be possible to modify the script to assign weightings to particular fonts (but take care to ignore weightings for fonts deemed to have incomplete character sets).

Yeah at the moment I think the ratio is just based on what fonts are installed, but I think it would be better if we could somehow tell it for example “I want to see this font two times for every one time I see this other font” or to be able to group them and decide what ratio you want each group.

OrangeFlavored said... It might be nice if there was a way to assign weights to individual fonts (or even better to groups of fonts) to remedy this a bit.
I feel that's overcomplicating things a good bit. The main point to Jitai isn't only to give practice with specific types of fonts, but also (perhaps even more importantly) to make sure that what you learn is the essence of the kanji - how to identify it regardless of font - and not its exact shape in just one typeface.

What you can do if you feel you really need to weight things is add a font to the list multiple times - a font which appears twice in the list will have twice the chance of being picked compared to the other ones. An interface (code-wise or GUI-wise) to support weighting could of course be added, but I feel that's too much. It adds very little benefit for what Jitai does for you, is complicated and a bit micro-manage-ey, and (if in GUI form) sticks out and breaks seamlessness... Sorry!

busaninja said.Thanks for making this script flow so well and giving us all this great opportunity to really improve our mental flexibility.

Oh, and WOW that Armed Banana is vicious. Sometimes, I'll hover to see it in Meiryo and find it hard to believe that it's supposed to be the same word.
 Thank you so so so much! I'm super glad you're enjoying it! I'm also super glad I was able to inflict Armed Banana upon you. It truly is クレージー. 😁

I didn’t even think of that…  Yeah I guess that would work well enough for my purposes.

I’ve been happily using Jitai with the standard MacOS fonts, but last night finally grabbed the additional fonts mentioned above including everyones new favorite “Armed Banana”.  

Wow!  Some of those fonts make for challenging reading…but I’m already seeing an improvement in my recognition skills.  I caught myself recognizing individual kanji today on a restaurant sign that was using one of those stylized writing styles – I would not have been able to do that yesterday.

Does anyone know any other fonts we can add to the download list?  

This plugin is the best. Seriously, thank you so much!

18 pages of quite nice Japanese fonts.

http://www.sozi.cn/zhongwen/ribenzhongwen/

I’ve been thinking… could you make an option to show the name of the font that is displayed somewhere unobtrusively?

brucehoward said... Wow!  Some of those fonts make for challenging reading...but I'm already seeing an improvement in my recognition skills.  I caught myself recognizing individual kanji today on a restaurant sign that was using one of those stylized writing styles -- I would not have been able to do that yesterday.
 YES! NICE. I'm doing fist-pumps in the air. Super glad Jitai seems to be helping!

Tessier said... This plugin is the best. Seriously, thank you so much!
 Hahah, wow, why thank you. 😊

embe said... I've been thinking... could you make an option to show the name of the font that is displayed somewhere unobtrusively?
 I was thinking about that too, but didn't think it necessary. Now that you mention it, though, it might be nice to have... I was thinking about maybe adding it as title text for hovering over the word, but then the font name would keep appearing on top of the word when you check the default font, which isn't entirely optimal. I'll think about it a bit; see if I can come up with a completely unobtrusive solution.

Another thing that's in the way is what font name to show. A few fonts are defined as lists of possible names, and I don't want the current font text to either be possibly wrong or in a format along the lines of "MS PGothic, MS Pゴシック, MS Gothic, MS ゴック". I'll take a look at possible avenues, though. Most people probably neither need nor really want the functionality, and keeping Jitai minimalistic is pretty important.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the reinforcement that what I'd been thinking about wasn't just me!

So I thought I was making a change for the better when I switched out nagurigaki for aquafont, but…

…I don’t even know what to say about this one!

embe said... I've been thinking... could you make an option to show the name of the font that is displayed somewhere unobtrusively?
 I know this isn't quite as convenient, but sometimes when I'm curious I'll just write click the text and select "Inspect Element." That option should be on all modern versions of Chrome and Firefox (and probably every other modern browser). The first item in the list of fonts in the font attribute is the current font.

obskyr said... So I thought I was making a change for the better when I switched out nagurigaki for aquafont, but...

...I don't even know what to say about this one!
 Haha, yeah, the first time I saw that one (and every time the heart radical appears accross the bottom) it threw me for a loop. But after about the 6th or 7th time seeing it and making the association, I see it for what it is now.

obskyr said...
embe said...
I've been thinking... could you make an option to show the name of the font that is displayed somewhere unobtrusively?
 I was thinking about that too, but didn't think it necessary. Now that you mention it, though, it might be nice to have... I was thinking about maybe adding it as title text for hovering over the word, but then the font name would keep appearing on top of the word when you check the default font, which isn't entirely optimal. I'll think about it a bit; see if I can come up with a completely unobtrusive solution.

I sometimes wonder which font I'm see, too. But I was thinking that if you want to make it show up during hover instead of visible all the time (which I agree with), maybe after answering, when the font reverts to Meiryo and you can hover to show the font that was used during the question would be the best place. I don't claim to know anything about the coding, so please forgive me if that's a difficult thing to do.