[Jisho userscript] Jisho Only Essential Info

Do you like jisho.org? I do, but sometimes I think it shows way too much information in search results and I have to scroll through them back and forth to find the information I need.
That’s why I created a simple script that hides some information from search results page:

• Example sentences
  • Wikipedia entries
  • Tags (common word, jlpt, wk level)
  • Links (audio, collocations, sentence search etc.)
  • Notes
  • Long lists of other forms
  • Also shortened a couple of frequently encountered annotations:
    • Usually written using kana alone → Usually kana
    • Yojijukugo (four character compound) → Yojijukugo

I used a brute-force method to hide the information, so sometimes layout is a bit messed up, but not much. Also Wikipedia only entries look weird, but I personally not often interested in them anyway.

Example screenshot

Before

After

6 Likes

I like it. It really cleans rubbish out from the pages!

1 Like

Maybe a screenshot?

2 Likes

Nice! I personally like the example sentences and especially the tags (i find ‘common word’ quite significant). Maybe i’ll use it if it’s configurable, not hiding those. The shortened annotations are nice!

2 Likes

Good point, I added a screenshot. Can’t think of a good example from the top of my head, but I think it shows the general idea.

@Saimin I’ll make comments in the code, so if you want you can just comment out the parts you don’t need (type “//” at the start of each line of code you don’t need). That’s all I can do in terms of configuration :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

good enough for me, thanks :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Ok, I added comments and separated tags, so you can pick and choose which ones you need.

3 Likes

Updated the script, so now it also hides lists of other forms if they are longer than two entries with a button to show them.

Screenshots

before

after

after click

2 Likes

That Show button looks great, thanks!

1 Like