JBC's NO.6 's Discussion Thread

Fantastic catch!! That makes wayyy more sense actually.

I wonder why that verb would have been written in hiragana here.

Technically. But “isn’t it serious?” seems like someone genuinely asking a question, whereas “isn’t it terrible / awful / horrible / dreadful?” is just the sort of thing that people say without thinking when they hear bad news - which, I think, is what the author is going for. Then for Shion’s thought, “She didn’t sound serious” would imply he thinks she’s joking or something, whereas what he means is she’s emotionally detached.

So yeah, basically it would make literal sense, but it wouldn’t fit the context. If I’ve understood it correctly that is…

大変 for me is one of the weirdest words in Japanese. There’s just no English word (that I’m aware of) that even comes close to capturing its meaning.

I read a fair bit today since I don’t want to have to read this weekend. A few things that cropped up:

ネズミ says 「趣味悪くない」on page 25. I’m assuming he’s talking about and complimenting Shion’s hot chocolate making ability. Is this a common phrase? Anyone know how else you’d use it? (Given that making hot chocolate is not usually considered a hobby.)

pg 28: 母さんに言わせると I assumed at first was just the causative of to say, but makes me wonder how to tell if it means “When I get her to tell me…” or “When I let her talk about…”. My phone dictionary has a separate listing for 言わせる in which it means: be able to say / to induce someone to say / to let someone speak out. For me it’s very hard in this passage to tell which idea it is. Not that it makes a big difference, just seems vague since they’re quite different in English.

pg 32 Shion says まさか which I’d always thought of as quite dramatic, but here he’s just saying he doesn’t need to sterilize his spoon. Seems weird to me.

pg 35 「言い切れる」means to say something to the end / completely, right. So is Shion just telling Nezumi to keep going - like kind of “tell me everything”?

Also, two little non-grammar points I noticed. First, Shion’s description of the ~~ building (don’t remember the name) in the centre of the city. Anyone else feel this is going to be the setting for the final showdown of the whole series? Seems highly, highly significant.

Second, Shion giving Nezumi his cherry pie… Given that this has a slight BL aspect, is this an intentional thing? Foreshadowing? Does Japanese have a related expression?

Can we clarify what No. 6 actually is yet?

There was a reference to クロノス - an “affluent neighborhood,” which Nezumi was approaching right before the narration shifted to 紫苑’s point of view.

I’ve been understanding No. 6 as some kind of city? Maybe クロノス is a section of it where 紫苑 lives? And the 東西南北のブロック are surrounding outlying areas that surround it?

Yeah, it’s a city. At first I imagined it as kind of inside a giant dome or something, but I don’t think that’s the case at all. It’s just a city (maybe more like a kind of city state) split into blocks - many of which seem to have specific functions (eg agricultural / rich people neighbourhood / slum etc).

I asked on HiNative what 植物生食料群 means and got a response “never heard of that word”

Any ideas what it means here:

No. 6 の住人に必要な植物性料群の六十パーセント、動物性料群の五十パーセントをまかなっていた。

First time I read it as “60% of the 植物生食料群 and 50% of the 動物生食料群 necessary for the residents of No. 6 are paid for”

I don’t know how to explain it, but I interpreted it as 60% of the crops (botanical food) and 50% of the livestock (animal food) needed for No.6’s residents are produced in those areas.

Ah so it sort of links back to the previous sentence? I guess that makes sense because the last time we saw a は particle was back at “東と南の大半は” so this sentence is a continuation of the description of those areas.

I guess the verb まかなう ends up meaning more like “covers” than “pays” in this context then. “The half containing the south and east became arable land and pasture, and covers 60% of this and 50% of that for all of No. 6.”

I’m having trouble finding a proper definition in a dictionary for ya but, I’ve definitely heard the phrase 趣味が悪い before. My understanding is that it’s used to call someone “weird” or a “creep”; makes me picture an anime high school girl indignantly shouting ”趣味わるっ!”

Maggie-sensei seems to define it as “bad taste” and lists it as a synonym of ダサい. I haven’t read the section in No. 6 you’re talking about yet but, maybe Nezumi is saying that what Shion is doing (or Shion himself) isn’t weird, at least in his opinion.

This was a good one on p13… after he raises his hands in the air and screams at the storm:

激しい風の音にかきけされて、誰にも聞こえやしない。

かきけされて is the passive form of かき消す… interesting again the choice here not to include the kanji.

and [verb, masu stem]やしない is a bit of N1 grammar. An emphatic negative.

So… “my scream is drowned out by the sound of the violent wind. No one can hear it one bit!”

(maybe?)

I actually read it as him only imagining (not actually doing) both – “着ているものを全部脱いで” ends in a て form, “雨の中に飛び出したら” is a -たら form, and then the complete sentence ends in だろう… I think the だろう actually applies to both the 飛び出したら and the verb 脱ぐ as well. So it’s something like:

“How nice would it be if I took off all my clothes and ran out into the rain!”

But he never actually does. Which is good, because he’s 12…

Then in the next sentence he “tries imagining his naked figure running through the rain.” and then continues to talk about all these wild emotions inside of him that he’s afraid of and doesn’t indulge but sometimes has to fight against…

:grimacing:

Like what Snowflying said, 趣味 has the additional meaning of “taste”. In the context of that passage, I don’t think he’s referring to the hot chocolate, but to the clothes he was given to wear instead. I base this on the sentence that follows what he says: ネズミはチェックのシャツをつまんで鼻を鳴らした then afterward he gets the hot chocolate. I think based on looking at it this way, it makes more sense.

Hmm… I disagree with you on those points, because of how serious is used here (Canada, I mean, not those examples), both would be taken to mean exactly the same as the other options you’ve stated.
It’s a localization thing, I expect.

But still, very interesting. Thanks! ^^

p15, I wonder why 御手 is written with the furigana “みて”

My dictionary has “おて” as a reading for 御手 only… and if 御 is being used as an honorific prefix here, I would think the reading would be ご?

In the anime, there’s a wall around the city. I can’t remember if there’s a wall around the certain neighbourhoods or not, but certainly between where ネズミ and Shion come from.
So your idea about there being a dome over the city isn’t far off. (However, there was no dome that I recall, especially with the rainstorm - unless it’s high, high, high up above the city, with a realistic-looking fake sky, and the weather is also controlled.)

(sorry I’m over-posting, this will be my last one for now)

I wonder if there is a hint to the personalities of our two main characters in the way the author closes their main introductions with the same verb, used different ways:

かみしめる can mean

• to chew thoroughly (as in your lip)
  • to reflect upon

So at the end of the first description of ネズミ, we get 「唇をかみしめた。」
But at the end of the first description of 紫苑, we get 「心の内でかみしめることがある。」

Nezumi "かみしめる"s his lip… whereas Shion sometimes "かみしめる"s his soul.

I’d call it a coincidence, if it weren’t for the conspicuous placement – the verb is used as the last word of the major descriptive introductions to both characters.

I also thought it might be the clothes, but what made me decide against that was that the full sentence is 「趣味悪くない、これ?」where I assumed これ? was the part that referred to the clothes and 趣味悪くない to something else. Rereading, however, I think you’re right: he’s saying all the clothes are 趣味悪くない and then これ? is referring to the specific shirt he picks up.

Ahhh that makes some more sense! I think a decent way to translate that would be “Isn’t this in pretty bad taste?”

Your confusion might be coming from the fact that the これ comes at the end but, I’m pretty positive it goes along with the 趣味わるくない, and that he’s most likely referring to the specific clothes Shion gives him. I think putting the これ at the end makes it more emphatic, like how the phrase 何これ?? means (roughly) “The heck is this??”

I wondered about this too…maybe it’s a set phrase of sorts?

But that’s a guess, so I’ll try searching “「御手」のよみかた.”

Found this: https://furigana.info/w/御手

From a few answers on Yahoo Answers and elsewhere, it seems that this is just the reading used in this particular phrase, as far as I can tell.

@riccyjay as well:

My two cents–here’s how I’d translate this bit:

Summary

「趣味悪ない、これ?」ネズミは、チェックのシャツをつまんで鼻を鳴らした。
「血だらけ破れててとこと汚れてるシャツより、ずっとましさ」

“Tasteless, isn’t this?” said Nezumi, holding up the checked shirt between his fingers and snorting.

“It’s definitely better than a filthy, torn-up shirt full of holes.”