Now Re-Reading: JBC's 秋の牢獄 (Autumn Prison) 🍁 Discussion Thread

“The height of Autumn” just sounds like nice poetic language to me - the sky is crisp and clear, all the leaves are golden and orange, you know?

All I can tell you is it’s past tense…

EDIT: later I checked Jisho, because it sounded familiar - and it was a verb I looked up! At least I had some vague recognition.

What I’ve noticed in this novel, is that anytime it looks like there’s the “water” drops radical, it’s actually the person/leader radical… however maybe in this one case it’s slightly different than those other cases. Thank you, that helps!

So… something like “Collapse of the God House” or “The God House’s Ruin”… sounds like I was close on my own even though I failed to find the actual vocabulary. Thanks!

Here’s a question:

街灯が照らす夜の道をぶらぶら歩きながらふと思った。

What the heck is the ふ doing in there? Is there some grammar point I’m missing. My translation is something like:

While I wandered the street on the streetlight lit evening, I thought about ふ.

Thank you! It wasn’t coming up for me either. Hooray for Japanese girlfriends! XD Both yours and Leebo’s have been helpful to our community. (Teehee!)

Thank you! There are some kanji I haven’t come across before, it would be nice to be able to recognize them more quickly. ^^ I’ll start it when I get home later.

Yeah, that was how I eventually found it, and then I kept the somewhat incorrectly captured passage to copy + paste some words or kanji directly into Jisho instead, to figure out my own understanding/grammar and come to my own conclusions.

I had to laugh when I saw the message at the bottom of the page while reading 秋の牢獄 on my Kindle Paperwhite:

You have 6 hours and 14 minutes remaining in the current chapter.

1 Like

… That’s… interesting. As if it’s already figured out your reading speed?

I made it a wiki already I think before your time of posting - if not, at some point last night.

It’s finally more set up now, the format for the dates is now in the table (at a point it just says Dec 03-09 for everything, I’ll have to finish at home, I’m at work, or someone else can continue if they feel so inclined).

It’s not really ふ but ふと = suddenly

When you add 思った the translation is something like:
I had a sudden thought/idea.
Or: I suddenly thought about something.

That’s how I understood it.

2 Likes

i don’t think that is ふ, i think it is ふと as in suddenly or casually.

So she is casually thinking while wandering down the streetlamp lit streets? maybe?

1 Like

It’s the handwritten version of the left-hand Radical 85, さんずい (what WaniKani calls the Tsunami radical).
The Genki textbooks use the same font in regard to the change in visuals of it. Example Here for anyone confused. It is indeed what we’re used to seeing on computers as 氵.

I’m super behind, as I’ve only read a page, but from what I read, I should be able to catch up pretty fairly quickly and contribute answers to the questions. xD

Thanks for that link! Enlarged like that I can see the difference between that and the handwritten other radical… It’s kind of the opposite slant.

A Japanese person passed by while I was reading this so I asked :laughing: Sounds like your assessment is right! Apparently it’s similar in meaning to ぼんやり思う; sounds like she’s casually thinking while she walks.

I am not sure of the meaning of casually thinking, but I think when people ぼんやりする they arent really thinking about anything, its like staring off into space.

Since 思う is in there I presume she’s still thinking; ぼんやり can also mean idly or aimlessly, so ぼんやり思う is perhaps thinking aimlessly. Perhaps “I let my mind wander” might be good way of putting in in English?

I don’t know the context outside the sentence since I haven’t gotten there (going to make some significant progress this evening), but I don’t see the correlation of ふと with ぼんやり. Verification from a 国語先生 indicates that ふと is definitely being used as “suddenly” here. The phrase usually refers to something one has previously forgotten suddenly coming back to them or a sudden realization. Example of using this phrase are 「when you end up sleeping in on a weekend then suddenly remember you made plans with a friend」and 「when can’t remember something during a conversation with someone then, at some point after the conversation, it suddenly comes to you」. Does the text go into any particular subject after that sentence?

‘suddenly.’ makes much more sense I think

(btw the sentence in question are on page 16 of the paper copy for those searching for them)

Here’s the previous and following sentences.

由利江に断られた以上、特に行き場所もなく、ビデオも借りて部屋で観ることにした。街灯が照らす夜の道をぶらぶら歩きながらふと思った。このままずっと外にいたらどうなるだろう。もしかすると目を覚まして行動しているものには十一月七日の繰り返しは起こらないのかもしれない。

From what I understand:

She was originally planning on going to her friends house but then that wasn’t an option so she decided to watch a rented movie instead. While she is walking down the street she has a sudden thought. What would happen if she decided to not go home for the night? Would being in a different place at midnight stop the time loop?

Also I am really not sure what counts as a spoiler so I blurred them. Let me know what you think counts as a spoiler!

Ah, thanks for both the page number and the provided text. You’re translation is spot on from what I’m reading, and exactly as I thought for the use of ふと思った. It definitely wouldn’t line up with ぼんやり in that context, considering the thoughts being described are in no way casual or idle.

Well I’ll trust the kokugo teacher’s opinion then :laughing: It’s just the comparison that a Japanese friend of mine made (a teacher but not specifically a kokugo teacher), but he didn’t read the whole context so his interpretation was probably just a different meaning that isn’t being used here.