JBC's はたらく魔王さま!(The Devil is a Part-Timer) It's the final week!

I agree, there is nothing like the written word to paint a picture that lasts. I love the image of the overly proud Emi asking Mao for a place to stay

It was mostly nice. I mostly liked the next chapter, actually, so I’m looking forward to talk about it.

One thing that I’m not so happy about the story is that Maho is way too nice for a demon king… I was kinda expecting him to be a comically ruthless leader that would be competent mostly by accident/sheer luck. (I’m thinking of Galasso from the Walkyverse, for those who know that)

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I mostly assumed that the lack of evil energy/magic has changed him to a more human-like being, or he was never that evil to begin with, he just happened to be the opposing side of the current regime and leader of an unwanted race.

Yesterday I started reading chapter 2. Not quite caught up, but I am getting there :sweat_smile:

I find the book very enjoyable even though it’s way beyond +1 experience for me. This is without a doubt the hardest japanese book I’ve read so far and it is already on my re-read list.
I think the most enjoyable thing for me is the language used in the book. I like how the style and vocabulary ranges from very colloquial to ridiculously formal. I also like to find interesting idiomatic phrases, my personal favorite so far is 布石.
Occasional jokes are good too, but I probably don’t even notice half of them.

I agree. Also now I start to understand why people say so often that original manga or light novel is better than anime adaptation: there is so much additional information in the book compared to the anime.

About the plot

I also was confused about the situation with a knife, but maybe you guys right about non-seriousness of this attempt to actually kill Mao from the outsider’s point of view.

Yeah, I remember having this impression after watching the anime, a bit disappointing since so many opportunities for comic situations are lost.

Another thing that got me curious is how Emi managed to become a citizen (maybe it is revealed later, but at this point it is unclear). Sure, she has telepathy, but not hypnosis like Mao, how could she even explain who she is to the officials?

You should indeed have kept that discussion on the original thread. You can also use the “pseudoPM” thread if you want to talk directly to someone.

To answer your question, there’s only one level of indentation. The first speech marker (かぎかっこ) is just written at the bottom right of the space it belongs to. You can check this website, in particular how it’s written near number 5 on the first sample text. (If your Japanese is good enough, you can also check the explanations for number 5 below that, but it does not say much anyway)

Thank you for the info. My apologies.

We have a little over a month left before we finish the book. I’m getting real excited to complete another book with the book club! How’s everyone else faring?

I’ve been on vacation and finally was able to catch up and even go ahead of the schedule :slightly_smiling_face:

The reading has become much easier comparing to the beginning but it wasn’t until around the middle of chapter 2 for me I guess. So it wasn’t a “first page syndrome” but rather “first half of the book syndrome” :rofl:

There is definitely a change of the tone at the end of chapter 2 and further in chapter 3 which I have some issues with, but I guess that’s a point for discussion at the end of the book.

I’m a little behind (just finished chapter 2 today) but I should be able to finish the book on time.

I had a question from earlier on in chapter 2:

Does anyone know why the author uses two different kanji for the る in the name of the cafe that 真奥 and 千穂 go to? When it’s first introduced (page 132 in the print version), it’s written as 怒濤流 (どとうる)but then a couple of lines later on the same page it’s written as 怒濤留. It also shows up at least once more later on with both 流 (page 133) and 留 (page 136).

Maybe this was explained or I’m missing something obvious. At first I thought it was a typo but it’s written both ways at least twice so I doubt it. Assuming it’s intentional, my two guesses are that 1) it’s the name of a single location in the chain vs the name of the chain itself, 2) since 怒涛 means “surging waves” or at least something to do with raging/violent waves, maybe the author or characters are expressing something by using the opposing meanings of 流 and 留?

How does this relate to the story or the conversation that 真奥 and 千穂 are having, if it all? It seems unnecessarily confusing for something that doesn’t seem very important.

I do not have the book with me right now, so it’s a bit hard to comment. Maybe I’ll add more in a few days, if I remember.

I like chapter 2, over all, especially the “jealousy” scene in the cafe :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about what you specifically refer to, but I do have issues with chapter 3 too, anyway. So, yeah, it will come up again :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think you need to put spoilers for this, but anyway I’ll do the same.

I honestly did not notice, and I don’t think it’s intentional (or carries much meaning beyond being funny). What you might be missing is that Doutor (read ドトール) is a big chain in Japan. The kanji are just a way to parody its name. I assume the author just punched in the hiragana, pressed space a few times, and went with the option that looked good. Test: 怒涛縷
In any case, there’s no connection to the story.

Ah. I should’ve known it was referring to Doutor but I was too hung up on why the kanji were inconsistent to think of the reading. Thanks.

I noticed those inconsistencies and just attributed to a conversion error.

One issue I had with chapter 2 had more to do with the pacing. I think compared to chapter one, it covers a relatively short period of time. It kind you of reminded me of how J.R.R. Tolkien would belabor the plot with excessive details and such. In other words, I felt that more could be covered considering the amount of pages it took to get through chapter 2.

I agree, chapter 2 felt a bit diluted, but that’s probably because of the amount of dialogues and also because chapter 1 was too dense in the first place. ^^

It supposed to be a “comedy” but at this point it feels more like an “action” to me.
At this point my main issue is the amount of collateral damage they causing during their fights and the fact that completely unrelated people are involved in their personal affairs. I just don’t like this kind of stuff.

Btw, I don’t hate it, I’m just a bit confused where it is going.

I think the comedic parts come after this book. I’ve seen the anime, and after the collateral damage part, everything moves back to the feel that it started with. So sadly it may end before that feel comes back.

Or maybe it’s a reason to read next books :wink:

Hello everyone! I’m not sure how many people are still reading the book, but if you’ve been using the propsed schedule as a guide, you should be finished or close to finishing. If not, keep pressing forward to finish!

When you get a chance, please share your thoughts about the final chapter and any thoughts about the book as a whole. Please include if you would recommend this book to others to read, how you felt the level matched your own reading ability, etc.

The third chapter ended up well, so I am happy. At some point I was concerned about actual victims of their battles, but the book was designed light-hearted after all. For me it was a huge plus.

My overall impression of the book is: 嫌いじゃない.
Big advantage of this book is that characters don’t take themselves too seriously. Even though Mao is really overpowered, it wasn’t annoying.
The reasoning of the characters is a bit inconsistent, but not terribly, so I had no problems forgiving the author those inconsistencies for the sake of the plot.
The question about how Emi got her job and apartment stays open though :upside_down_face:

I would recommend this book to others. The main difficulty comes from large amount of not-so-common words, but the writing style is not that hard most of the time.

Yeah, the story is meant to be light-hearted, but I think the writing style of the author interferes with this from time to time.

I usually take the side of a book over the visual form of entertainment, but I think I preferred the anime better. One of my main reasons for this is that the writing style for book has parts where time flies at an incredible pace, then other points where the passage of time is hindered by overly excessive details. A good case in point is the account of Mao and Ashiya. The reader has a pretty good idea about their struggles adjusting to Japan, but Emi’s account in Japan was left somewhat to the readers imagination as that she was portrayed as resourceful and gifted at adjusting to new things.

I also found that reading some of the dialogue exchanges to be a little bit difficult at times. I know that the main characters each have a speaking style that is identifiable, but when I got to the final battle, some of those exchanges got kind of a little bit jumbled in the mix of describing what was happening and the short tit-for-tat dialogue.

I would definitely say that this is a book that is easy to quit for the above reasons, but I’m sure that if one continued the series, it would grow on them. I would recommend the book for the challenge of reading this kind of style, but I’m certainly not a fan of this writing style.

I liked the book overall but thought it became less interesting the longer it went on because of the direction the story went in. In particular, I liked reading about the characters struggling to adapt to life in Japan and the interactions between Mao, Ashiya, and Emi.

Not as much happened in the story as I expected though. I think that too much time was spent on the two big incidents in the second and third chapters instead of focusing on the characters themselves. This is the first light novel I have actually finished though so my expectations about how much story to expect in one volume may have been off.

I would probably still recommend the book to someone looking for a light-hearted read. Whether or not I continue reading the series will depend on where the story goes in the later volumes though.

The difficulty matched my reading ability pretty well. There were some parts that I struggled with but it wasn’t a difficult read overall.

I completely forgot to reply…

So, it was my first time reading a light novel. My first impression was that it felt much more like a manga than a regular novel, mostly because of the way characters were talking. That kept the reading fun and easy. I feel like I could have read the whole thing in one or two sittings if I had pushed myself.

I liked the premise, and also the misunderstanding(s) related to Emi being in a relationship with Maou and the weird love triangle that ensued.

I was quite disappointed about the story getting in a more action-based direction. Also, I had many grips with the scenario in general. Specifically for chapter three, Maou felt too nice, giving up the chance to go back just to fix things. Also, the “bad guys become friends once you beat them” was fine back in the days of dragon ball, but that trope got old.

There was probably more, but I can’t remember at the moment. I would probably not recommend it, except to someone who enjoyed the anime I guess?

I guess I’ll keep reading light novels, anyway, mostly based on what’s available on floflo.