Japanese Study (textfugu and beyond)

Hello. I am using Textfugu ( I know it is being updated, but there is no harm using the old stuff) and have just completed the season 8. I have started going over a quick review of all of the material ( practice included) as I understand all of the grammar but I want some more application practice. After doing this I plan to use Genki to cement the grammar, use Lang 8 to practice the grammar and read a few basic books. The one place I am lacking in is speaking practice, So a two part question after this wall of text- 1. Do you think it is worth keeping up with the final review of the Textfugu material or should I go straight to Genki and 2. Any advice on sites I can practice speaking Japanese out loud.

ใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใ‚’ใชใ‚‰ใ„ใพใ™ใŒๅคงๅฅฝใใ€‚*I pray to God I have got that right- or I have made myself look a complete ***โ€ฆ

Iโ€™m actually studying Japanese at university (double major in History and Japanese Language/Literature) so I donโ€™t really have experience with Textfugu, but Genki is an excellent resource regardless. As for speaking Japanese out loud, Iโ€™ve heard that italki is a good option.

On your Japanese comment โ€œใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใ‚’ใชใ‚‰ใ„ใพใ™ใŒๅคงๅฅฝใใ€‚โ€, your Japanese was close but slightly off. You want to say that you love learning Japanese, I assume. So, in other words, you want to describe an action โ€œlearningโ€ as something that you love. To do this, you must make the verb ใชใ‚‰ใ„ใพใ™ into a noun. This is done by taking the dictionary form โ€œใชใ‚‰ใ†โ€ and adding ใฎ to the end of it (Also, to be more polite since you said ใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™ you should add ใงใ™ to the end of that sentence). The end result is:

ใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใ‚’ใชใ‚‰ใ†ใฎใŒๅคงๅฅฝใใงใ™ใ€‚

3 Likes

Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong (I also need to brush up on my grammar), but canโ€™t you also use ใ“ใจ instead of ใฎ to make ใชใ‚‰ใ„ใพใ™ a noun?

Yes, for the sake of simplicity I only gave one answer, but that is also an option if you want to express this idea. In that case, the sentence would be โ€œๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใ‚’ใชใ‚‰ใ†ใ“ใจใŒๅคงๅฅฝใใงใ™ใ€‚โ€

For the most part, the meanings are the same, but there is a slight difference in grammatical nuance that might be interesting/useful to note. ใชใ‚‰ใ†ใฎ is a nominalization (transformation into a noun) of the verb ใชใ‚‰ใ†. However, ใชใ‚‰ใ†ใ“ใจ literally means a thing, โ€œใ“ใจโ€, concerning learning, โ€œใชใ‚‰ใ†โ€. ใชใ‚‰ใ† is modifying a noun instead of becoming one. English speakers will usually nominalize verbs (making gerunds) to express these kinds of ideas, so I feel that for new learners the first way is easier to comprehend grammatically.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I never knew there was actually a difference in how they modify the verb, ใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™๏ผ

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.