Japanese study buddy...kind of?

Thanks. By the way, have you ever used any sort of memorization technique to help you remember when nouns and na- adjectives use の or な before a grammar point? That is one thing I struggle with.
I might ask about it in a topic later when I think of it…

my username is Hongbeanutbear. once you add me as a friend I will make a japanese study chat.

I do have line! Here’s my QR code (I hope it works):

You can mark the object that is being touched with に: 彼女はおしんにまだ触っていません

Since you used past tense at the end of the sentence, I think it sounds better to put 触る in past tense (-> まだ触っていなかった), to get “she hadn’t touched Oshin yet, but Oshin escaped”
If you use けど, I think you need short form before it. Otherwise you can use が as “but” after the ます form of the verb.
So I would correct it to 彼女はおしんにまだ触っていなかったけど、おしんは脱走した。

Just noting that the て-form of 買う would be 買っていません.

Using the intransitive verb 過ぎる here, since the time passed on its own. You can also use 経つ for time passing.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I was thinking of communicating outside of WK but through anonymous apps like skype or discord. With alotta people wanting to join in, how do you feel about a discord channel?

I don’t mind that. I have never used a discord channel before though. Line is pretty anonymous btw. You don’t have to share anything besides a username.

I’ll have to look into how to use discord.

Added! Talk to you on line

Messaged on line!

Not sure if that will help but it only depends on what noun-like word follows. Na-adjectives use な, always. Nouns use の by default, except they take な when followed by:

• の (no のの);
  • こと when used as a nominaliser (some people seem to use の anyway);
  • certain noun-like expressions, e.g., ばかり、だけ、くらい、ほど、まで、わけ; you just have to add them to a list to remember as you learn them.

Of course, when treated as whole propositions / embedded sentences (e.g., in quotations と, before conjunctions から、けど、が、し、etc.), everything takes だ, as usual.

1 Like

this is very helpful. Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.