Japanese sentence help please?

You’re not a native English speaker?!?!?
Second language goals.

1 Like

Said to the person who just learned one of the main meanings of “office” :sweat_smile:

so this kinda sets up the subject as ‘from my house’ ? so it would be more like ’ from my house it takes 30 minutes’ - and the the fact it i’m talking about going to work is implied?

Sort of. You already mentioned 仕事, so using a different word (with different connotations) to talk about the same place is a little unnatural. If you really want to, use 職場 because it has the same connotation as 仕事. Like, you do 仕事 at a 職場, not (always) a 事務所.

In any case, you should probably put a は before 三十分掛かります. I don’t know how to explain it, it just sounds better. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: On second thought, I think you’re right. The subject is うちから, implying the trip to work.

Still. I literally couldn’t tell and probably would never have been able to tell.

1 Like

私の一日

my day

今日、七時ごろに起きました。朝ご飯はトーストを食べて、八時半に仕事へ車で出かけました。

Since the title is My day, I personally don’t think you need 私は in first sentence. But grammatically it is fine. In the second sentence, に isn’t a grammatical particle for after 朝ごはん but I think you could say it like that when speaking. Another not ungrammatical thing, but for more natural flow would be putting the time you leave for work at the first thing in second half of sentence I think. Then since you have にーにー it sounds better to change it to へ.

職場はリースにあります。うちから事務所まで三十分掛かります。

仕事doesnt have a physical sense to the word I think, so it would be better to say place you work is in Leeds. I thought this was okay till I double checked the thoughts I had in first two sentences and the two natives I asked changed this.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.