Japanese sentence help please?

Hello kind Wanikani goers,

i have been taking a Japanese class, and have an assessment coming up.

As part of this assessment i have to write about about ‘my day’ , and be able to write it out in an exam without notes. I am at beginner level, so it is only to include fairly basic stuff - but i can add a little extra to show outside study if i like.

i was hoping the kind people of Wanikani could possibly help me out by checking that some of of what i’m doing is correct. I would be very grateful - my beginning is the below (underneath English is what i’m hoping it roughly translates to :expressionless: )

私の一日

my day

今日、私は七時ごろに起きました。朝ご飯にはトーストを食べて、仕事に八時半に車で出かけました。

Today I woke up at around seven o’clock. I ate toast for breakfast, and then left for work in my car at 8:30.

仕事はリースにあります。うちから事務所まで三十分掛かります。

my work is in Leeds. From my house to my work takes 30 minutes.

any pointers / tips?

EDIT - i changed in line with the comments.

Leeds? Or leads?

出かける is a ru verb, so the conjugation you’re looking for is 出かけます, not 出かけります.

Besides that, there are probably too many 私’s, most times it can be implied.

うち already refers to your house.

• 出かけました, no り

• 朝ご飯に sounds better. “As for breakfast…”

• うちから仕事まで is fine. うち can only be your house, so no need to specify. If you want to get some extra points, go for 事務所 (office) instead of 仕事.

Leeds - a city in UK :blush:

aha ! brilliant. Thanks !

oh OK , うち is refers to my house already - got you. So if i was referring to my friends house would i use いえ, as in watashi no tomodachi no ie …? or still uchi?

That’s awesome - thanks !

that’s perfect, i was struggling for a way to put an emphasis on the breakfast. thanks

nice - consider it done :smile:

I’m not sure, but wouldn’t 私の一日 sound more natural than 私の日? Unless it’s part of the assignment name.

Based on the comments (you are great) - I have amended.

私の一日

今日、私は七時ごろに起きました。朝ご飯にはトーストを食べて、仕事に八時半に車で出かけました。

仕事はリースにあります。うちから事務所まで三十分掛かります。

you might be right - and i believe you. :blush:

Thank-you (i warn you there may be more questions to come) i appreciate your help.

The Wanikani community rocks :guitar:

You can use うち for both actually. The important thing here is that いえ is basically just a house. Like “I’m gonna go buy a house”. But うち is more like “home.” Whether it is your home or someone else’s home depends on the context.

AHA ! That makes sense - ありがとうございます

Completely off topic - but I’m really proud right now that I could understadn every kanji and although my grammar is subpar I could get the general gist of the sentence even without the translation… Hooray for me.

Also seems like you found your answer so hooray for you aswell.

事務所 is actually an administrative office. It’s not clear that it would be OP’s work place based on context.
When I say that I am going to a 事務所, it’s because I need some documents stamped…

i work in an office writing reports, so maybe OK? or maybe オフィス instead ? - give me a chance to use katakana as well.

Yes, in that case, it is ok; sorry for butting in.
オフィス is fine too.

No need to be sorry - it’s appreciated. i need to make sure it is right after all. :smile:

事務所 is just office, maybe it’s because when you say you are going to the office while you are already at your work people just know you mean the admins office?

Or maybe I just don’t understand what on office is. (I’m not a native English speaker)
That being said, 事務 refers to administrative tasks, and 所 is literally place.
Edit: I checked the dictionary and yep, TIL what office means.

I’d say just avoid the whole situation and use 職場 instead.

Couldn’t you just keep the subject as 仕事 and rewrite it like:
仕事はリースにあります。うちからは三十分掛かります。
I feel like that would sound the most natural.

Or this.