Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

今日、僕のリビューで百パーセントを取りました。

Not sure if 取ります makes sense. Can someone suggest another verb for “got” or “scored”… not too sure. Thanks :blush:

How so? I was trying to make sentences that have the meaning of “I will purposely take photos for my work.” Like possibly photos for a webpage for work and then I wanted to practice writing “I have purposely taken photos for my work.” I wanted to have the nuance that these photos were not for my own satisfaction, but for the sake of my workplace. If とっている just means “I am taking~”, then that’s not what I’m going for. Or do you mean that I should be writing it as おります?

I mean ておる just means the same thing as ている which is why I think you meant to say ておく which makes a little bit more sense.

I would probably say something like 仕事のため、写真を撮っておく in this case. (or the てある version)

仕事によって is a bit more like saying “depending on the work” or “by the work…” (in a situation where that makes sense.

2 Likes

I’m trying to write a google review for a sentou but I can’t make it make any sense. I can’t really make it make sense in English either tbh.

私は店長に知らないおばあさんように払わせようにされた。しかしそのおばあさんは常連みたいだった。めっちゃフレンドリーなおばあさんだった(笑)。非常に混乱した。とにかく何とか片言日本語で事情を片付けられた。私の「電気が漏れているお風呂]の忠告が通じたかどうか分からない。それでもいい銭湯です。十分です。初めての「大きに」をもらった。多分いつか戻る。私のアパートの水はよくないから。

The manager tried to make me pay for an old lady I didn’t know. Even though the old lady seemed like a regular. She was really friendly (lol). It was really confusing. Somehow I was able to resolve the situation with my broken Japanese. But I don’t know if my warning about the electrically-charged bathtub was able to get through. Still, it’s a good sentou. It’s adequate. I recieved my first “ookini.” I’ll probably return. Since my apartment’s water sucks.

ありがとうございます!I’ll try again:

辛い食べ物ことが出来ませんでした。

Translation

I couldn’t eat the spicy food.

2 Likes

今日は頑張ったねと思って、ご褒美としてスタバでアイスコーヒーを自分に買いました。

1 Like

私はサミです.はじめまして!
文法が難しいけど、頑張ります!

1 Like

株式市場を倒れるに見て楽しむ。

I think こと is only used when making a verb into a noun - so something like 辛い食べ物を食べることが出来ませんでした would be better, from my understanding anyway. What you said is, I think, closer to something like “I couldn’t spicy food”, I guess? Don’t blindly take my word for it though, I’m very much a beginner still.

とにかく、私は辛い食べ物がめっちゃすきだ!辛いラメンとかタイ国のカレーとかうまいと思う。

1 Like

You are right, こと would be used for a verb. 食べ物のこと would be possible, but it doesn’t really make sense in this sentence here as it would change the meaning a bit.

2 Likes

ゴミを捨てようとしてけど、ゴミ箱に入らない。

TL Note

Volitional verb + として/とする means “to attempt doing”.

1 Like

おんどりが鳴く

鳴く is intransitive and used for animal calls.

鳴る is intransitive too, for that matter, so if it was the appropriate verb to use it would also need to be paired with が.

1 Like

OH, yes, thank you. I did mean ておく and not ておる.

I see, I can follow that logic! I’ll make the corrections. :slight_smile:

今日僕は仕事ばかりか、海王星さえ行きました!

~ばかりか~さえ

“Today I not only went to work, but also to Neptune!”
~ばかりか~さえ: “not only ___ but also ___”; the strongest of several similar expressions including ~ばかりではなく~も or ~だけではなく~も that could be used for more mundane contrasts. Not 100% sure if it was OK to full drop the にs marking those destinations or if I should have written complete sentences on either side of the expression, which is also an option; the examples in DIJG include cases where ばかりか and さえ replace particles like が and を but not に.

1 Like

そうだね

まだまだ。上手(じょうず)じゃない。よく(たお)れる。 :sweat_smile: would taoreru be easily understood as “I am killed” in this context?

すごい!

上手(じょうず)じゃない :sob:でも、日本(にほん)()んでいる。歴史(れきし)日本語(にほんご)がどこもにある。えっと、(ぼく)(なに)()き?(ぼく)何時代(なんじだい)()き?大体(だいたい)歴史(れきし)()き。江戸時代(えどじだい)()き。いい(ほん)()らないでも、この(ねこ)文章(ぶんしょう)がある Story from Japanese Notebook ネコと人のれきし

1 Like

毎日何かが書いたほうがいいと思ったけど、何も思い出せないね。。 :sweat_smile:
あ、一つだけ面白いことがあった。今日
僕、Youtube で動画を見ていたときコメントを少し見てみた。
このYoutubeコメントっていつも分かりにくくて徹底的に何もわからん。本当に本より難しい。
でも今日は違った。一つのおかしいコメントを読んで自然で笑った。まるで普通な英語で書いたコメントを読んだように。
そんな大したことじゃないかもしれないけど、嬉しかった。 :slight_smile:

I would say さえ replaces all particles with the exception of でさえ when さえ comes after a noun.

1 Like

そうですね!先日日本語の配信をみていて大体言ったことは分かった。ちょっと自分を誇りに思った!

1 Like

正しいです。実はjisho.orgのディフィニションの一つは「倒れる」というのはゲームで敗れることが意味です。

あっ、江戸時代ですか。僕の好きな時代は平和な時代もです。平安時代です。どうして。たくさんの美しい詩や絵や着物や小説などがあります。また、侍が始まりました。侍のお鎧は箱みたいです。かっこいいしたくさん詳細があります!

猫の物語について、少ない漢字があるな文章のはちょっと難しい読みます。でも、面白いし楽しいです。

あっ、京都で時代祭を見ましたか。

Edit

Removed の from たくさんの詳細.

毎日日本語の文章を書くことにしている

TL Note

Roughly means “something has become a habit based on a certain decision”.

1 Like