Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

I’m probably going to regret opening my mouth again, but here goes :joy:

Instead of 昨今 one could use 今では or 今は, where 今では would kind of overemphasize how the “now” is different from what was before. So maybe 今は.

Regarding たら and 間, probably たら or maybe even と since it’s the “nowadays” and not merely “now”.

Lastly, I’m not sure I would use ために and instead use ように.
今は勉強すると、集中できるように音楽を聴く。

But one could probably construct this sentence several different ways and they would mean slightly different things.

3 Likes

Or 最近. :eyes:

I’m more partial to する時, myself. :thinking:

2 Likes

Not sure if できる is needed. So, 集中するため or 集中のため. But for ように, probably indeed 集中できるように.

I would probably use とき as for meaning occasion.

1 Like

初めてにこんなトピックに参加してみます!
ほぼ毎日日本語で書いてますが、もっと書きたいんです!:sparkles:
よろしくお願いします😁

2 Likes

Maybe not actual, but I’ve learnt 特別 just today!
新年しんねんだから今日きょうは特別とくべつの日ひだね。

2 Likes

三月僕と奥さんは日本へ行きます!

4 Likes

Learning about using suru with an adjective to say “to make something [adjective]”

Given the prompt, “what would you do if you were president of a company?”

社長だったら、僕の給料を大きくします。

You might get a raise if you pass your appraisal

EDIT: Is there a better term for getting a bigger salary? My vocab is limited to Genki I/II and what I’ve learned on WK. I’m not worried it doesn’t sense, it makes sense in English too but I imagine there’s a more natural way of saying it.

2 Likes

上げる would be more natural than 大きくする I think.

You (typically) can’t raise your own wages directly though, so you would probably need to say something like 給料を上げてもらう when talking about getting a raise.

There are a lot of other words related to wages and raises and whatnot, but just touching on “is there a better way to say it” while staying in vocab you probably already have.

3 Likes

It’s always the problems with exercises like these in textbooks when you have a very limited vocab. You kind of have to manufacture these artificial looking sentences to get anywhere, and get creative with the truth of course. It’s probably the hardest part I found about output practise, obviously I know how I want to answer a question given to me, but I’m completely limited by what I’m able to actually say.

Fundamentally, I think I’ve understand the grammar point they were trying to teach me. い - adjective = drop い and add くする, な-adjective = add にする, even if my sentences is a bit obtuse.

Thanks for the reply though, I wasn’t necessarily bothered about being told in vocab I didn’t know, mind. I find questions and interactions like these stick in my head better than just slamming something into an SRS anyway.

I beg to differ, I’m the 社長 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My recommendation would be to go find examples before trying things out. Mimicking what you can find will help you get more comfortable and avoid establishing bad habits in the event that a wrong sentence isn’t corrected (or is “incorrectly” corrected).

Before replying to you, just to make sure I had a good grasp on what I wanted to say, I went and put “給料を” into google and saw what it recommended (like before hitting enter). Then I quickly read a couple blog posts that talked about raises in a way that aligned with what you wanted to know. The second step there is fairly advanced, but using google, twitter, or something to get a baseline for what kinds of expressions are common is a very simple thing anyone can do, even if they can’t read all the results that come up in their entirety.

4 Likes

よろしく(´・∀・`)

スレへようこそ!

Kazzeonさん、
ありがとう!
こちらこそよろしくね✨

1 Like

今日、新しい文法を勉強しませんでしたでも、まだ日本語文を書きました。

1 Like

クーポン持ってるから、仕事が終わったら彼氏とタピオカのお店に行く!

2 Likes

今日、買い物に行きました。90分ぐらい漢字と単語を勉強しました。新しい車でドライブにいきたかったでも、雨が降っています。

来週の週末、たぶん。。。

2 Likes

でも → けど. When joining together sentences one would use けど or another linker word meaning “but”.

2 Likes

今夜はドラマを見ながらゴロゴロします🍿

1 Like

Or separate them.

新しい車でドライブにいきたかった。
でも、雨が降っています。

2 Likes

今日はちょっと大変。。。ちょっと不幸し、とても眠いし、長い日だよ。

僕は大丈夫です。心配してください。今晩、早く寝ます。

2 Likes

冬になって、肌がめっちゃくっちゃ乾いた😥 フェイスクリームが大事!

3 Likes