Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

大学へ歩いて行かなくて、電車で乗りました。電車でいる間に雨が降って始めました。

Trying to say: I didn’t walk to university, I rode the train. It started to rain while I was on the train.

1 Like

電車乗りました or 電車で行きました would be correct.

電車でいる間 means “when I was a train” heh

3 Likes

Is this because Verb 始める is the usual way?
Would 降り始まりました be wrong?

Apparently.

1 Like

What about 降り出しました? I thought that’s the more natural way to put it.

This is a pretty good blog post about the difference: https://www.nihongo-c.jp/blog/blog-entry-114.html
Going by the fact that it started raining spontaneously it would be rather: 雨が降り出しました.

来週の火曜日に最初の会話の授業を取って今とっても緊張しているから。

2 Likes

Yes, 始まる is not used as an auxiliary for verbs starting. If you’re noticing the fact that usually はじめる is transitive, that isn’t part of the equation when using it as an auxiliary. If you wanted to say “continue to rain” you’d similarly use 降りつづける and not つづく. I’m not sure what the linguistic explanation is, but that’s just how it is.

Since there’s nothing inherently “wrong” with 降り始める, I only corrected the construction.

3 Likes

中国語(ちゅうごくぐ)日本語(にほんご)共通点(きょうつうてん)がたくさんあります。(たと)えば日本語(にほんご)漢字(かんじ)中国語(ちゅうごくご)文字(もじ)です。音読(おんよ)みの()(かた)中国語(ちゅうごくご)発音(はつおん)みたいです。

could anyone tell me if these sentences makes sense?

2 Likes

They do! :slight_smile:
I would maybe only change the みたい to っぽい or らしい, but not super certain on that.

1 Like

Grammatically, there’s nothing wrong with using みたい there. It’s arguable how true it is, but I guess it depends exactly what is meant, so I suppose that’s beside the point.

らしい wouldn’t work, because らしい is used to express the idea that something is “like” an ideal or typical thing in that category. 音読み is not actual Chinese, so it can’t be 中国語らしい.

2 Likes

日本語を勉強しましょう!

4 Likes

Hi, this is my first comment on the forums, I keep meaning to do an introduction at some point:

Anyway, I’m working through Genki lesson 17 teaching ぞうです、みたいです。And the prompt is “What kind of job do you want/what kind of company do you want to work at? Why?”

私はバーに就職したいます。面白い人にたくさ会うそうですので、仕事が楽しいみたいです。

I’m trying to say I would like to work in a bar. I’ve heard you meet lots of interesting people so it sounds fun.

(none of my anwser is actually true, I’m quite happy with my current career path, and working in a bar actually sounds like hell. But it was the least obvious answer I could think of using the vocab I know already (instead of just "i want to be president of a company because you get paid lots))

3 Likes

Is it i-sou (masu stem) or u-sou (plain form)?
Or just adjective sou?

I think this would be a good place to use そう。
楽しそうです。:slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s the “I hear/I’ve heard” ぞうです.

Oh yeah, it would be much better but the exercise wants みたいです :upside_down_face: we don’t learn そうです (looks like) for another couple of lessons

1 Like

お前が黒くなったらお前のがんを食べられたい
おい!待って!新しい文句がある!
いつまでもお前の尊い助言に恩がある

2 Likes

えっ、何ですか。歌詞ですか。どんな歌ですか。 :thinking:

2 Likes

ニルヴァーナのハート形の箱でしょうね。

2 Likes

全然知ってなくてごめん :sweat_smile:

実は僕はジャズなどだけ聞いているから。

2 Likes

彼は部屋があったら、白色で塗る
日を避けて、夜を好む
小さく建った

数字が上手
喧嘩者には時間がなくて、またはそうと彼が言う
女性の交際を好む
一、二、三、四

もっと物理的だと彼が思ってる、それが大切な言葉だ
いつも最初に見えて、それから聞こえた
そんな変な鳥

彼は賛美をもって映えて、変化をもって生える
彼は大切だと思ってて、待つのが嫌い
俺は何故か面白すぎると分からない
それはセックス

1 Like

さー、これがある、また
名前は
12XU!

雑誌にお前が見て、男とキスしてる
雑誌にお前が見て、男とキスしてる
雑誌にお前が見て、男とキスしてる
雑誌にお前が見て、男とキスしてるよね!

雑誌にお前が見て、男とキスしてる
雑誌にお前が見て、男とキスしてる
タバコを吸って、男とキスしてる
雑誌にお前が見て、男とキスしてるよね!

角にある、角にある
角にある、角にある
コテージにある、角にある
角にある、いいえ!

12XU!

2 Likes

歌えください

vocarooで👂聞きたい

1 Like

このドレスは白いと金色ですか、それとも黒いと青いですか。

Trying to say: Is this dress white and gold or blue and black?

1 Like