Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

曇った日でもみんなを微笑ませたいです。 :sweat_smile:

EDIT: Too many levels.

1 Like

attempt 5!! First attempt fully typed in IME, feels weird being able to type directly into this text box and not using a keyboard in another tab
今日早い車が僕の部屋聞こえます。

2 Likes

If I understand correctly, you’re saying that you heard a fast car in your room?
早い is “early” and 速い is “fast”.
Also, The 部屋 kind of stands alone here. There is no particle so it’s unclear where it exists in the flow of the sentence. Probably まで, since the car is outside your room. So something like this:
今日速い車が僕の部屋まで聞こえます。
But I’m not super sure so it would probably be easier to rebuild the sentence to focus on where the car is now:
今日速い車が道から聞こえます。
or to keep 部屋:
今日速い車が僕の部屋の外から聞こえます。

どんな車ですか。 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ありがとうございます!

いいえ、車有しない。でもお母さんの赤い車有する

1 Like

有する?

1 Like

永遠渇は気持ち悪い :frowning_face:
水かお茶か血を癒さないでも飲みたい

2 Likes

.車が持ってないですね、でお母さんは赤い車を所有しているのね

2 Likes

JLPTの申し込みを忘れていた、今試験は満席になってしまった。 :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

こっちはまだ今月の25日から申し込み可能になっておりますが、海外は早いの?

Attempt 6, I finally looked at some grammar stuff so lets see if I understood it
友人はすごいです!彼女は四つの語が話せます。僕はちっとも羨ましいではありません。

2 Likes

This one’s not your fault, but apparently 語 by itself is used to refer to words, while language is more of a suffix meaning. At least that’s what my dictionary shows in sentences.

So you’d be saying that your friend can speak 4 words. :rofl:

Everything else seems perfect to me!

I actually thought you were being sarcastic at first, since knowing a lot of languages is pretty cool, but do you mean that you’re not jealous because of the work implied in learning all of that?

Oh, 言語 is the common word for language.

2 Likes

ありがとう as always!

actually, I was trying to be sarcastic with the last sentence
originally I was going to say 僕はいささか羨ましいです。(I’m a little jealous) but I realised if I made it sarcastic (I’m not jealous at all) it’d be an excuse to write a different sentence type.

I haven’t really read about how sarcasm is done in Japanese though so I wouldn’t mind it being read sarcastically or geniunely as long as it made gramatical sense

2 Likes

I think for clear sarcasm you’d need to maybe add some force to the sentence. Like, "not jealous at all! Or “I’m not jealous or anything, you know! (Baka)” but that’s a slightly more complicated sentence. :slight_smile: It’s also easier with intonation and stuff.

Or maybe just a :roll_eyes::upside_down_face::unamused::triumph::zipper_mouth_face::clown_face::slight_smile::japanese_goblin::pouting_cat::see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll keep this in mind for the future :smiling_face:

2 Likes

But, they had that, no? (Though I agree emojis or something would make it clearer since tone is hard to convey through text)

Yeah, I mostly meant like a よ at the end or something, though it’s still kinda ambiguous since you can be serious.

2 Likes

putting a よ at the end would look like 「…ありませんよ。」right? or do you have to change it more?

2 Likes

No changes necessary. You can just tack sentence enders on. Sometimes, you can stack the sentence enders on top of each other as well. :laughing:

よね and よさ are two I’ve seen fairly often.

3 Likes

どういう意味ですわよ?! :joy:

2 Likes

Attempt 7:
まいにちお父さん九時半にお爺さんの家へ行きます。

This is a sentence with quite a few moving parts so I hope I got it all in the right order

2 Likes