犬に左手を噛まれた。

I got my left hand bitten by a dog.

More natural this way?

I would rather switch the に for a で. Both work but just replace the particle

僕[ぼく]の左手が犬で噛まれた。

犬で左手を噛まれた。

By the way dont mind ぼくit’s the same as わたし

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction! Unfortunately I haven’t yet studied this use of the で particle, in fact I don’t have idea of what’s happening there :joy:

Edit: thinking about it, since で usually tells the place where an action occurred or is occurring, could it be that in this case it’s telling the place in the body where the dog bitten?

No in that case the で would mean litteraly by the dog.

So the left hand was bitten by the dog.

You could also have said A dog bit my hand

犬は私の左手を噛みました。<< Dont forget the 私or ぼく here as the topic becomes the dog. If you remove the watashi, it would mean the dog bit his (own) left hand

Btw nice you used passive tense in japanese with 噛まれた

2 Likes

「こんにちは、しんどいさん!私は父親!」 lmao!

1 Like

I don’t think で works here. The “by the X” that you mentioned works if it’s an active tense, including intransitive verbs. In passive に indicates by whom the action was done.

@mariodesu that’s from the chapter on passive voice in Genki, right?

1 Like

Actually, I studied the passive in the 13th video lesson of Cure Dolly’s YT channel, I like to proceed my book studies with the YT lessons since the videos are better explained and then I can go with more confidence over the book, does this makes sense?

I understood this, but I haven’t understood the real reason of why the に particle here marks the performer of the action… even tho Cure Dolly explained thoroughly in the video, this is the only thing I wasn’t able to really get, she talks about receptive verbs to explain it, too.
I’m gonna post this question in the general japanese language questions topic to not go OT for the 100th time :joy:

1 Like

By the way there is a nice proverb with almost the same phrasing as your second sentence:

飼い犬に手を嚙まれる : literally “have one’s hand bitten by one’s pet dog” but figuratively something like “double-crossed by a trusted follower”

1 Like

寝れないまだどうすると知ません。2時間前起ったから今は僕の寝る能力を無くしたそう。そのときは完全なときが日本語を喋るの時間でみたいです。ここへ3時です。

お母さんに叱られた。

I got scolded by my mom.

「食べたい!」とナルトは言った。

”I want to eat!”, Naruto said.

今日は、 昼ご飯に、牛肉ハンバーガーとフレンチポテトを食べます、やった。

Today, for lunch, I’ll eat beef hamburger and fries, yay

木ノ葉隠れの里で6時午前、ナルトと友達は火影からミッシオンをもらったのあとで里を出り準備します。守る砂の橋の注文があったんだ、チームセヴェンは早く残しなければならなかったから朝日のあとで1時間行きました。したがって最も近いな林に走してがしたように火影の一人孫、木の葉丸くんはチームの全面ジャンプして『ナルトさん、つれていってください。僕はじいちゃんにいつかへできる忍びを証明するのため、強くなりたいで弱虫いない。それじゃあ、いしょに行こうぜ!』とびっくりしたナルトに言いました。すぐにカカシ先生はその子の後ろへテレポートして首の下に一つクナイを置きって「もっと早い反射神経があったならチームと行ける、けどそのときは早すぎるです。数年間待って。里へ帰れ」と言いました。火影の迷子は息をつかんだ失神しました。「サクラ、あの子を里に持ち帰れ。行け!」と叫びました。

imma write more later lol just had Quick inspiration. Random naruto story

1 Like

:joy: I’d like to understand it, but it’s ahead my level… gonna google translate it

1 Like

Oh no I wrote it because I saw you were writing about Naruto and I wanted to join the fun

1 Like

私の家は、図書館と銀行の間です。

My house is (located) between the library and the bank

後で木の葉の森の深いにチームセブンは一つ計画を詳細で働きっている、その辺りへ敵の大群で見れられなしどう入るについてです。その大群のなかへ一人強いで敵の盟主がいるので、カカシ先生は自分の学生の安全のためにすべて詳細をじっくり思いこと必要があります。一つ詳細でも忘れば、自分のチームが終わらせます。自分の頭のなかにたっぷりの圧迫考えている間、すべての詳細を思う間、すぐにサスケさんは右腕をしっかりつかみて頭に置きて、秘密を解きます。右目のなかにドジマの龍の力を着きまって『シャリンガン!』って叫びます。彼の周りへ暗い霧を発して間、ナルトさんは『ダッテバヨ!?』ってびっくりしたく立って叫びまして間サクラさんは隣さんの頭をパンチして「バア、バカだ。村の周りの誰もがこの力を知っています。」って激しく言います。「それはウチハの秘密、シャリンガンです。今日の秘密武器です。」ってカカシ先生は追加します。

1 Like

I was taught that you use が to mark the item that you want

1 Like