Japanese proverbs with Pleasant-level kanji

Here are some proverbs you can read with kanji from the first 10 levels.

Readings and meanings are blurred so you can try reading and understanding them before revealing them. It worth noting, though, that some of them use classical / literary grammar, which may be unfamiliar to even intermediate learners.

This list isn’t exhaustive. I might post more later.

いしうえにも三年さんねん

Meaning: perseverance prevails; three years on a (cold) stone (will make the stone warm)​

魚心うおごころあれば水心みずごころ

Meaning: if you do a favor for somebody, you will get a return favor; if a fish is friendly toward water, water will be kind to the fish too; mutual back-scratching​
Note: this one has a reading for 魚 that isn’t taught on WK
Note: 魚心 can be used independently of this proverb as a reference to it

おやこころらず

Meaning: No child understands how much they are loved by their parents

千里せんりみち一歩いっぽから

Meaning: a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Note: this uses a meaning and reading for 里 not taught on WK
Note: a 里 is an old Japanese unit of distance roughly equal to 2.5 miles or 4 km, but 千里 is used to mean “a really long distance” and not necessarily anything specific

ときかねなり

Meaning: Time is money
Note: WK teaches the word for money with the honorific お, but here it’s used without it

ななころ

Meaning: not giving up; keeping at it until one succeeds; falling seven times, getting up eight times​
Note: 転 is a level 10 kanji, but the word 転ぶ, where this reading is taught, is in level 12

二度にどあることは三度さんどある

Meaning: what happens twice will happen thrice

はなし上手じょうず上手じょうず

Meaning: good talkers make good listeners

59 Likes

These are neat! Thank you for sharing them and choosing such WK beginner friendly ones!

6 Likes

Amazing, thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for this post! This was really interesting. I only know I’ve seen/heard らず before. But, they all makes sense! :slight_smile:

I get the feeling that I have seen the り reading. But, only in the recent levels, so from some vocab. I’ll see if I can remember which. ^^

Edit: Here it is. In the 40s we get taught this reading. https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/郷里

3 Likes

I didn’t know who OP was for way more than a second

5 Likes

Thank you, this was really cool!

わぬがはな

Meaning: some things are better left unsaid; silence is golden

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.