Japanese Pronunciation for Communication

Thank you! :sparkles:
In terms of grammar the person I want to recommend this to isn’t an absolute beginner as far as I’m concerned. Katakana and Hiragana at least should be out of the way and basic N5 grammar.
It’s just that their speaking is really off and I want to help them somehow but all I can do is just point out what they say incorrectly… but they can’t hear the difference. So since people thought it’s good, I thought I would recommend it! :blush:
I mean, they’re not babies so they will survive~ :sparkling_heart::sparkles:

It is really not that great… believe me…

This sounds great! Thanks for making a thread about it.

1 Like

Thanks guys, good to know. I’m definitely going to take it, it seems like a good push into speaking territory (where my skills are the most lacking).

Oh, a reminder for everyone:

That’s a course about pronunciation, and there is much more about pronunciation in 日本語 than just pitch accent. Things like rhythm and intonation (how the pitch varies within a sentence) also have great importance and are often ignored in favor of pitch.

5 Likes

Oh, if that’s the case, I think they’re good to go. Some parts might be less enjoyable, but shadowing will probably do wonders to their speaking. =]

Ok, good to know :sparkles:~
Life is harsh and my friends should face the hard truth :muscle::sparkles::sparkling_heart:

新しい友達は素晴らしいことだよね~ :sparkles: キラキラ:sparkles: :sparkling_heart: :blush:
Omg this is the first time I write something in Japanese… so much panic :scream: it must be all wrong and terrilbe.

3 Likes

Off-topic, but what’s that last gif from? It’s almost familiar, but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Tamako Market?

Exactly~ :sparkles:

1 Like

えっ!上手ですね (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵):sparkles::orange_heart:

うん、そうですよ!^^

3 Likes

Should I take this? my level of grammar is almost non-existent.

Is this course available only once a year?

EDIT: From reading other posts I guess a person like me shouldn’t take it? and it seems the course is available many times throughout the year, if is 6 months I can wait but if is a year then maybe I’ll risk it and enroll.

I haven’t taken this course before, but I have taken (or at least enrolled) in other courses in edx. I am still able to access the material/content from the past courses, even though the course is over and archived.

If you’re worried about the availability of the class, then you could just enroll, and if you find that it’s over your head, just come back later and look at the class content later. Just make sure you do the free version and not the paid version =)

1 Like

Very good to know! thanks a lot!!! :smile:

Can someone explain to me what the content of the course is like? Do you record yourself reading or speaking and then get feedback, or do you have 1 to 1 conversations with someone, or what? Or do you just watch lectures on the subject?

I can’t see the actual content until the course starts. If no one gives you answer by then, I’ll post more details when the class starts on the 25th.

There is a difference between working on your “accent” which can be understood to mean precise vowel and consonant pronunciation (at least that is what gets taught in acting / singing type accent classes… i.e british accent vs australian accent) and pronunciation. Japanese pronunciation is nontrivial: devoicings, consonant shifts, n → ng, just to name a few. Not that a native speaker wouldnt understand you if you pronounced japanese exactly as it was written, but knowing those things , i think, helps you understand what you are hearing alot better.

This is exactly why you start the proper way, why fix it when you can do it correctly from the beginning?

6 Likes

Thanks for the link, this certainly looks worth a look-in.

Thanks, I guess I’ll just go ahead and sign up and see what it’s like.

Here is the link to the course syllabus:

I’m not sure if anyone can access it, so if you can’t access, it let me know I can try to get it on here some other way.

It seems like the course is pretty much just video lectures, mostly in Japanese, with the ability to change the playback speed, and add subtitles in Chinese, English, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, and maybe Indonesian and some others?

After the lecture, there are audio files that you can use for listening and shadowing practice.

I only looked at the first quiz, and it comprised of listening to a short audio (covered in the lecture) and then selecting the correct answer, all of which was written in hiragana.

So far I haven’t see anything that would stop a beginner from taking this class, provided that they can read hiragana/katakana.

3 Likes

Does anyone know roughly how often this course is run? It seems like something I’d like to try at some point, but I don’t have time to add more to my Japanese workload at the moment.

1 Like