Japanese Pronouns Survey

Checks out with your profile pic haha

Because it’s a girl or the character uses 私?

Because Erika uses 私 but man could I buy her using 俺 lol

2 Likes

Haha wasn’t sure if you were familiar with Umineko or not. Yeah maybe even 俺様 depending on who she speaks to lol

2 Likes

I actually didn’t know that about 貴様! I wonder what caused the change, but I couldn’t really find much with a quick search… I’m not too surprised though. Language constantly evolves with the times. Japanese, English, every language does if it’s still being used today.

You have nothing to apologize for! Everyone is still learning no matter what stage of progress they’re at. If it makes you feel any better, many Japanese people don’t know the etymologies of pronouns. Sometimes they can’t explain the exact details of why they function in that way. Sure they’ll learn some of the details in school to a certain extent, but they’ll mostly pick up on usages based on personal experiences, how they see other people using them. That’s how language is intended to be learned.

1 Like

I noticed in some shows male characters tend to say あたくし (私) a lot so maybe that might work?? but I dont know the nuance surrounding it so dont take my word for it :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

actually nvm dont listen to me its meant to be formal as
maybe thats why I only hear it used for like royal fictional characters and stuff, even when theyre not in formal situations hahaha
I just heard it used often by Kenshin in Rurouni Kenshin but then he might have used ‘ore’ as well and I didn’t remember as well

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s a case of sarcasm/the politeness treadmill causing something respectful to become insulting. Also, Japanese politeness is so far as I know about indirectness, so as a pronoun becomes more common it becomes more direct and therefore less polite.

1 Like

My Japanese fiance uses わし the most. Not super common but I have heard others use it before

2 Likes

I always use 私 just to be polite and since I appear feminine (I’m actually nonbinary but it’s hard to describe that in Japan and sometimes dangerous where I am), but I’d really love to get to the point where I use 僕 in casual conversations because I’ve felt like it suits me better.

However the idea of using 僕 as a foreigner in Japan makes me worry that it’ll be seen as a mistake rather than a conscious decision :pensive:

3 Likes

I guess I identify as female, but I still don’t like the idea of using 私 or any other pronouns, really. I always prefer to stay kind of gender neutral. It’s definitely something that annoys me about the Japanese language.

2 Likes

My main one is 僕, because that’s what my native Japanese tutor was using a lot when talking to me and I ended up subconsciously copying him. However, the friendlier we got to each other, the more he dropped the 僕 and started using わし. Apparently it’s the standard pronoun in the region of Okayama where he grew up. He basically has 2 pronouns: わし for casual and 僕 for formal. He also says he dislikes people who use 俺 because it comes across as too arrogant. It’s an interesting perspective, but I’m not sure it’s a typical one. Either way, I’m stuck as 僕 since I slip back into it whenever I try to change it. I don’t feel comfortable using 俺 although I’d like to.

4 Likes

For a gender-neutral pronoun 私 works relatively well from what I gather, in formal contexts and when talking to strangers at least (in casual speech it has a bit of a feminine connotation), and 自分 has been gaining some popularity in LGBTQ+ circles as a truly gender-neutral option. Maybe that helps?

3 Likes