Japanese podcast recommendations?

So I’ve been looking for ways to improve my listening skills and podcasts seem like an obvious option. While sifting through podcasts on iTunes, though I found myself with a problem - there are just so many of them I don’t know where to turn. What a quality problem to have!

Seriously, though - do you guys listen to any podcasts in Japanese? If so, which would you recommend?

For clarity: I mean regular podcasts, not stuff like JapanesePod/other podcasts for Japanese learners. Though if you have a really good recommendation in this category, go ahead anyway, I guess. Just… not JPod. I know it well enough already, lol.      

Are you looking for something that will help teach you, or just passive listening practice?

I listen to Sawao Yamanaka (the pillows) podcast just for listening practice: http://yamanakasawao.com/y/podcast/feed

It’s not technically a podcast, but I like listening to Sugita Tomokazu’s web radio show アニゲラ . Unfortunately, I haven’t found a way to download the audio, but that channel has all 180+ episodes and updates regularly.

I’ll try to remember to come back and respond later, I’ve got a few I rather enjoy!

Tfm.co.jp is where I go to check out podcasts, I binge listen to Yuka and now I know all about Bacon, Lettuce and Tomatoes in Japanese

I quite like learnjapanesepod but it has a fairly limited number of podcasts currently for non premium members.

Everyone raves about the bilingual news podcast but i find the english guy pretty irritating so stopped listening to it. You should give it a try anyway though
 as it might be to your liking.

Lastly, I have just stumbled upon “the news in slow japanese” which is meant to be quite good although i havent actually listened to any of the episodes yet.

I posted a similar question on Reddit and had a great response of ひいきびいき, which I am enjoying so far. It is a podcast of a guy and girl chatting about anything from new game releases to questions sent in by fans.

1 Like
Oviemon said... I posted a similar question on Reddit and had a great response of ひいきびいき, which I am enjoying so far. It is a podcast of a guy and girl chatting about anything from new game releases to questions sent in by fans.
 Yes! This is one of the ones I was going to recommend :D Second the rec.
sirvorn said...
Oviemon said... I posted a similar question on Reddit and had a great response of ひいきびいき, which I am enjoying so far. It is a podcast of a guy and girl chatting about anything from new game releases to questions sent in by fans.
 Yes! This is one of the ones I was going to recommend :D Second the rec.
 Thanks! I'll give this one a try

I’ve been in my car a lot lately, so I’ve been looking for something to listen to while driving. Talk about a timely thread! I’ll give these a listen.

Some nice non-WK threads:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/3t7wum/quality_japanese_podcasts_like_this_american/
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-5572.html (this  one is old so many might be already down)

I just wanted to say thank you to the recommendations! ひいきびいき is very addicting! I am lucky enough I am able to listen to podcasts at work so having a new podcast channel with 200+ episodes of 1 hour/episode is very exciting for me!!

I can’t wait to go to work just so I can listen to podcasts! Haha

2 Likes

That’s the one I wanted to recommend too :smiley: