Japanese Festivals 🍡 ⛩ 🎏 🌸 🎆

At the last Inari shrine I went to, the female foxes had human boobs and nips instead of fox teets and I just :grimacing::upside_down_face::upside_down_face: nO

2 Likes

I enjoyed Wood Job, though I can’t honestly say I recall any festivals in it. To be fair, mind, I did see it a while ago.

2 Likes

It’s the part where he rides the log down the really big hill. The log is either carved or just supposed to be a penis and go through the vagina wreath at the bottom of the hill. It’s the second to last scene iirc

2 Likes

… Calm down there, Freud.

It was the very real Onbashira Festival. They’re just logs, no carving.

2 Likes

Now this is a celebration I can get behind.

1 Like

My biggest fixation about Japanese festivals is still the foooood! :yum: Here’s a pretty comprehensive list of dishes you might wanna try if you get the chance!
(there are also tips for where in Japan you’ll find these festival foods)

4 Likes

Good to know, but the sexual interpretation was from a Japanese film course I took. Tbf pretty much any long cylindrical object entering a circle is a visual representation of sex in movies.. Although I see how the real life version is probably not sexual.

1 Like

I gave the scene another watch in the movie, and they don’t seem to be the same. The Japanese wikipedia for Wood Job also cites a different festival/god that doesn’t have shrines in the same prefecture as the Onbashira Festival.

2 Likes

Kimono Mom uploaded a video about Tori no Ichi. It’s got lots of info and a cute baby

2 Likes

Churches here really should try to engage the community more like this. I know they do art exhibitions and musical concerts - which is good. But, nothing like this that gets the locals visit just because it’s fun or have locals getting involved making a festival happen! :smiley: I guess, it’s a bit too late, mostly retired old people go to church here. I’m an atheist, but I do enjoy the cultural history of the really old church buildings here (among the oldest in the country) and keeping them alive for future generations. For that you need to engage the locals, and not just on Christmas Day! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.