Japanese Documentaries

Ooop, I keep forgetting NHK documentaries are an option. Any good ones y’all have watched recently?

2 Likes

I haven’t been watching TV much, aside from sporadic 15-minute Asadora. Lately, I’ve been preferring to listen to NHK Radio instead since I could procrastinate do other things in the background.

A quick search of my saved folders appeared to have this older episode of Japanology Plus’ Japanophiles. At first, I thought I might have saved it for my dad, who does a bit of woodwork in his retirement. But I think there are a few cheesy but useful reminders for myself about the ecosystem and working with local communities.

1 Like

Which one are you currently watching? :slightly_smiling_face:

I watched Amachan not too long ago, and discovered recently that Non (the main actress) wrote, directed and starred in her own movie last year, and this year she’s also acting as Sakana-kun in a biopic about him (he also appeared in a guest role as himself in Amachan).

2 Likes

The thumbnails all look so interesting but they can’t be played in my country :confused: don’t know why though

2 Likes

It kinda felt apt to watch this because I’m also listening to the radio to learn a language :joy: Somehow I’ve missed watching Yell even though there was a Japanese military song in the drama that’s featured in a Malaysian classic film. Below is a clip from the film that I’ve made for Bunpro’s forum topic “The Amazing Race Around the World.”

The director and actor of the film went through Japanese navy school during the Japanese occupation of our country. Luckily, he was one of the few citizens who received a positive experience from it, which prompted him to take learning music seriously while in school and eventually became a timeless legend locally.

Anyway, back to NHK-related topics, I’m not sure if I ever want to watch Oshin since it was an overly-popular Japanese Asadora when I was a toddler. It looks like there might be too much crying for me to actually enjoy it, lol.

You’ve got me interested! Now I have to watch Amachan if there’s Sakana-kun in it. Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

Have you tried with any VPN services? One I could think of is https://protonvpn.com/ but there might be better free ones out there with Japanese servers.

2 Likes

Only a handful of episodes, mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you, when i clicked directly on here the videos can’t be played. But if you open in Youtube they can like normal :smile_cat:

1 Like

I finally remembered to start watching NHK videos again. I’ll watch the Japanophile recommendation from Distantflower next :slight_smile:

I just watched

though. It’s part of a series on sustainable development. Sustainability and local revitalization are really big in my community, so I’m excited to see the various strategies and techniques from around the country. This video is all about “trash fish,” or the fish that don’t sell well mostly because people decided that they weren’t very valuable. They remind me of plant weeds, which are mostly undesirable by convention, aside from some invasive species. If I ever visit Odawara, I’d love to eat a meal at Kai’s Restaurant.

edit: Great listening practice btw

1 Like

Seriously thank you for sharing! This was a treat to watch. I hope he meets or has met the German guy who also builds houses from scratch using wood from older houses. It was fun to watch this guy hug a tree when he was checking how straight it was too.

3 Likes

Here’s one all about the influence of samurai and merchants in Matsusaka. A good portion of the dialogue is not dubbed over as well! The NHK representative in this one has a noticeably better accent than most of them in other videos.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Journeys in Japan tends to not have dubbing (though I completely can’t remember which shows do and which don’t).

Oh I swear, they have the shabbiest-looking hosts for more than a few episodes. Let me say… they have a face for radio. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you @Belthazar for sharing!

The Nebuta festival in Aomori

The NHK host has a good accent in this one! I love too how he makes friends and asked them where they’re from and they all say Japan but are flying either an Australian or New Zealand flag at their campsite.

2 Likes

3 parts
stone quarry
a village made of stone
jizu

2 Likes

Oh no, there’s a whole series of cat videos…

3 Likes

Should I remake this thread into a Japanese Documentary (doesn’t have to be NHK, can be documentaries about Japan or in Japanese) thread?

• yes
  • no, please make a new thread for documentaries
  • no, please make a new thread for each documentary outside the original scope of this thread

0 voters

3 Likes

Here’s a brand new documentary about what it means to be Japanese, particularly for people of various situations such as being Ainu, hafu, returnees, refugees, and many more.

3 Likes

Wow, it’s been a while. Trying to get back into listening to these

Has anyone noticed these “time traveling” bits getting more and more popular on nhk?

This feels like a special level of 90s lame…

1 Like

:cat: Cats! :cat:

3 Likes